Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Distressing Mirena Symptoms - remove coil? or add oestrogen??  (Read 575 times)

Victoriavb

• First Flush
Distressing Mirena Symptoms - remove coil? or add oestrogen??
« on: January 23, 2024, 03:05:27 PM »

Hi, I hope that you could please help.

I am 50 and had the Mirena coil inserted in August, with the view to it being used for contraception and as part of HRT with oestrogen in the future. I had only mild menopausal symptoms at the time so wasn’t in a rush to take oestrogen.

My problem is since it has been inserted I have had increasingly awful symptoms. Very bad, painful acne that is getting worse - clear skin previously - so bad don’t want to leave the house. Have tried various topical remedies and nothing helps. Heavy painful breasts. Hot flashes - only mild previously. Have gone from 8.5 stone to nearly 10 stone despite exercising more and dieting. I am feeling very low, anxious and like I’ve lost all my self confidence.

Stupidly it’s only in the last week I’ve realised that these symptoms could be down to the coil and since googling have found similar stories!! Tried to make an appointment with the doctor today, but was only offered a telephone appointment in a months time which is too long. I explained that I can’t wait until then - they are going to ask the doctor who inserted the coil to ring me on Thursday.

My question is do you think that adding oestrogen would counteract these symptoms? Or should I just request to have it removed? as feel I can’t go on with this much longer 😞 any help is much appreciated thank you 😊

Nas

Re: Distressing Mirena Symptoms - remove coil? or add oestrogen??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 05:25:58 PM »

Hi Victoriavb,
Sorry to read that you are suffering with all these unwanted symptoms.
I had a coil in for about 18 months and the only side efffect I experienced, was some spotting for a few weeks.
That does not mean that all women experience the same. The mirena is a bit like marmite I think: you either love it or hate it.

If you were not experiencing any of those symptoms previously, then it could well be the coil causing them. That said, it can take a good six months, if not longer, for any side effects to clear up.

If you are not experiencing any bothersome meno symptoms at present, then you shouldn't have to add oestrogen into the mix.
Plenty of women have a coil fitted for the sole purpose of contraception.

You could try adding on oestrogen as an experiment, to see if things do balance a bit? Hot flushes are a key meno symptom, so not sure if the coil could be causing those?

If things don't improve, then definitely get it removed.

Hope you feel better soon  :)