Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie. Is this VA?  (Read 929 times)

Cjblue

• First Flush
Newbie. Is this VA?
« on: January 23, 2024, 12:44:19 PM »

Hi everyone. I just want to start by saying how fantastic it is to have found a menopause forum, and to apologise for my lengthy post.
I am 54 and not had a period for 12 months.  I also have Addison's disease and am therefore steroid dependant.
I have had 3 UTI's in the last 12 months for which I was put on Nitrofurantoin.  In the last 3 months I have had a hacking cough 3 times lasting about 3 weeks each (including right now).  At Christmas I was put on Amoxicillin for my cough.  The cough went, but a constant irritation began low down in my bladder/vagina.  GP tested me for UTI but all clear.  At my suggestion she prescribed Vagirux. Having used it for 2 weeks I have had no improvement. The GP did internal exam but said everything looked healthy so it's probably just one of those menopausal things.  I asked what else I could do, but she just said to maybe try some cranberry tablets and continue with the Vagirux twice a week.  As I am currently off sick again, I have been spending quite a bit of time lying down rather than sitting or standing, and found that the irritation eases.
 I just wanted to ask for ideas on how to cope with this.  At its worst it feels like I maybe need a wee, but though I can go it gives no relief.  It's driving me insane!  I have no other symptoms apart from a few hot flushes and a bit of brain fog (but I can cope with that).

suzysunday

Re: Newbie. Is this VA?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 12:53:06 PM »

It certainly sounds like it could be VA.  If so you need local hrt, ovestin or vagifem used internally, regularly, initially daily.  You can ask your gp as if it is VA you need local oestrogens, otherwise it won't improve.  That feeling you describe is horrible and debilitating.  Plenty of water may ease the feelings somewhat.  Don't be fobbed off by the gp. 

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 01:06:17 PM »

If you are getting on ok with Vagirux then stick with that but also ask your GP for Ovestin which is a cream to use topically on the outside.
Two a week treatment is not enough to get VA under control, use it every day until you feel improvement and decide for yourself when to reduce the dose. Unfortunately your GP is unfamiliar with vaginal atrophy going by their advice to you.

Put vaginal atrophy in the search box and read away, its very educational.

suzysunday

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 01:12:16 PM »

Yes sorry, missed the bit where you mentioned vagirux, but as Ayesha says, you probably need more than 2 x a week.

fiftyplus

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 01:16:07 PM »

Hello  :welcomemm: cjblue - yes defo sounds like it could be VA.  I am of a similar age to yourself and managed all other peri/meno symptoms but the same as yourself the VA has been the worst for me and has to be managed for life.  I use ovestin cream which I personally prefer to the pessaries x

Cjblue

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 01:18:51 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies. It's worrying that GP's are so unfamiliar with the condition. I shall contact her and ask for more Vagirux and some Ovestin.  Do you know if Vaginal probiotics can help at all?

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 01:22:08 PM »

I would leave out the vaginal probiotics until you get on top of your symptoms now.  :)

Jules

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 06:36:41 AM »

Re the cough, I had 2 bouts over Christmas  and needed ABs in the end. It's doing the rounds. I know some people are affected by ABs though, thrush etc. I'm not. I've had that bladder feeling though. Particularly after sex which i knowis not uncommon even in young women. It's so unpleasant. I also had to increase my topical estrogen. I'm not sexually active currently.  No sex = no bladder problems for me!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 06:38:37 AM by Jules »

Minusminnie

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 07:43:20 AM »

I would leave out the vaginal probiotics until you get on top of your symptoms now.  :)

Given the cjblue has been on antibiotics during the last year i just wondered why you advised the above Ayesha ? not a personal jibe just trying to follow your logic.

Ayesha

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 09:21:03 AM »

A vaginal probiotic is not going to help treat the symptoms of VA, only oestrogen replacement will do that.
Probiotics aimed at the gut is a different matter, especially after antibiotics, I wouldn't be without mine.

Jules

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 09:26:13 AM »

Given the cjblue has been on antibiotics during the last year i just wondered why you advised the above Ayesha ? not a personal jibe just trying to follow your logic.

My reference to sex is onky because my GP regularly mentioned the importance of following a hygiene routine before and after to prevent infection as she said it was a common trigger and if she gets lazy she gets a UTI. Might not be that passionate but when your tissues have thinned it helps

Minusminnie

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 10:59:00 AM »

A vaginal probiotic is not going to help treat the symptoms of VA, only oestrogen replacement will do that.
Probiotics aimed at the gut is a different matter, especially after antibiotics, I wouldn't be without mine.

Thanks for reply I realise that the probiotic can’t help the VA symptoms but I can’t see the harm in trying a women's probiotic aimed at the vagina alongside VA treatment.

I recently started taking the optibacs women’s one for vaginal health. I feel  it’s been doing something initially farting a lot to put it crudely but that has now settled.