Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estriol & Depression  (Read 496 times)

kathryn22

Estriol & Depression
« on: January 18, 2024, 08:22:55 AM »

:'(Good morning all
Has anyone any thoughts
Been on vaginal replacement therapy for a couple of months and feeling more and more depressed day by day. Waking up everyday brings a deep sadness and feeling of emptiness, my appetite has dwindled to almost non existent and I have to make a conscious effort to eat and drink, even getting off the sofa is an effort.
Could there be a link to the oestrogen replacement for VA or is it just the trauma of coping with it taking a toll? In the past, but many years ago, I did suffer from depression and I don’t think it ever really leaves you. But this is horrible. Do I tough it out or contact my non to sympathetic  GP ?? Advice and thoughts appreciated

Minusminnie

Re: Estriol & Depression
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 08:42:30 AM »

Dealing with VA isn’t easy until you find a regime that works for you and reach some sort of acceptance. I don’t think the oestrogen in itself is causing you to feel like this.
I’ve had low mists at times myself but chosen to ride it out. I have a supportive husband to talk to and grandchildren to see to at times who are a good deflection as they have to come first.
I’m sure others will be along to advise. Take care.

Katymac

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 01:10:57 PM »

Thats similar to the way I felt before I went on HRT - mine came on suddenly as I had a surgical menopause but maybe you need to dicuss either antidepressants or HRT with your GP

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 01:16:40 PM »

Vaginal atrophy treatment is very localised.  It hasn't impacted on my mental health issues.

In the 1980s and 90s I suffered with depression which is controlled with appropriate medication. 

Hormonal upheaval can cause anxiety and depression - perhaps you could ask for an appt with a menopause clinic ?