Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Severe Anxiety  (Read 3063 times)

Booblet

Severe Anxiety
« on: January 17, 2024, 12:08:59 AM »

Hi,
I'm 64 years old. I'm still suffering terrible post menopausal symptoms:

Every two weeks out of 4 I suffer from  extreme anxiety. It is so debilitating I can't function too well at all.
Are there any other members who have the same symptoms?
Please, I need help.
XXX

Kathleen

Re: Severe Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 09:15:31 AM »

Hello Booblet

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from anxiety. 
I am 67 and this has been the worst meno symptom for me,  I wish I had the solution for us both and all the other ladies who have this experience.

You say the anxiety affects  you every two weeks? Is this due to the HRT that you are using and if not are you able to identify the cause?

I have recently started using Utrogestan orally as the progesterone in my regime along with  2 pumps of Oestrogel. I did some research on the side effects of Utrogestan and some say it  causes low mood and anxiety and others say that it has a calming effect as it works on the Gaba network in the brain. Needless to say I am confused but obviously  hoping that I strike lucky and Utrogestan is calming for me. Is this something that you have tried?

I am sorry that I can't be of more help but hopefully other ladies will be along with their comments.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 09:37:12 AM »

:bighug:

Nas

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 10:54:00 AM »

Hi Booblet

Ditto the anxiety.
I’m requesting sertraline from my GP next week and have started drinking GABA tea from
Mei leaf tea shop. Too soon to say whether will work, but anything is worth a shot!

Hope you can find something beneficial soon,it’s awful isn’t it?

Xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 11:15:03 AM »

I found Bachs flower remedy mouth spray helpful, I would use it 20 mins B4 an Event and never thought whether it worked/not.

Also my GP gave me 'valium' when I was very ill initially 3 times a day; then I used as necessary as above.  Also Propranolol which gave relief for several years.  Some ladies require it alongside HRT.

losttheplot

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 11:42:25 AM »

Sorry you're suffering so much. I'm the same, mid 60's and plagued by anxiety and poor sleep.  My gp (yesterday) suggested I try some herbal remedies,  I'm a little skeptical but willing to try. She suggested St John's Wort to start with.

I hope you find some relief soon.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 12:57:26 PM »

St John's Wort shouldn't be used with any other medications.  Some find benefit until their hormone levels go haywire  ::)

kdee69

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 12:43:41 PM »

Hi,

Every two weeks out of 4 I suffer from  extreme anxiety. It is so debilitating I can't function too well at all.
Please, I need help.
XXX

Hi there, your post really struck a chord with me. I am 58 and post meno and have been on Oestrogel for about 7 years now. I've always had a tendency towards paranoia about what people think of me but have always been able to manage it quite well. Until last year. Steadily over the last 7 months my anxiety just absolutely spiralled - there was literally no trigger for it at all. I upped my oestrogel but I think that made it worse if anything. In the end, when I was literally at my wits end and having anxious thoughts for literally most of every day, I went to see our Nurse Practitioner. After getting through the inevitable "have you tried CBT or therapy" questions - yes and yes and no it didn't scratch the surface, she suggested a low dose anti-depressant. I would have taken anything at this point. She started me on 10mg Fluoxetine and I definitely (over xmas annoyingly) got worse before better and then just after New Year she upped my dosage to 20mg one a day. I can honestly say that whilst not without some anxiety, I definitely DEFINITELY have seen a dramatic improvement. I'm only 3 weeks in on the 20mg but already I feel more like my old self. I can only think that my anxiety is hormone related, a thing that sometimes it's so hard to work out. I really didn't believe that anti-d's would make a difference but they honestly have. I'm not suggesting for one minute they are for everyone, but they have absolutely given me some semblance of normality back.

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 12:51:28 PM »

Hi,

Please, I need help.
XXX

Hi there, your post really struck a chord with me. I am 58 and post meno and have been on Oestrogel for about 7 years now. I've always had a tendency towards paranoia about what people think of me but have always been able to manage it quite well. Until last year. Steadily over the last 7 months my anxiety just absolutely spiralled - there was literally no trigger for it at all. I upped my oestrogel but I think that made it worse if anything. In the end, when I was literally at my wits end and having anxious thoughts for literally most of every day, I went to see our Nurse Practitioner. After getting through the inevitable "have you tried CBT or therapy" questions - yes and yes and no it didn't scratch the surface, she suggested a low dose anti-depressant. I would have taken anything at this point. She started me on 10mg Fluoxetine and I definitely (over xmas annoyingly) got worse before better and then just after New Year she upped my dosage to 20mg one a day. I can honestly say that whilst not without some anxiety, I definitely DEFINITELY have seen a dramatic improvement. I'm only 3 weeks in on the 20mg but already I feel more like my old self. I can only think that my anxiety is hormone related, a thing that sometimes it's so hard to work out. I really didn't believe that anti-d's would make a difference but they honestly have. I'm not suggesting for one minute they are for everyone, but they have absolutely given me some semblance of normality back.

Hi can I ask how long did you feel worse for when you increased the dose to 20mg? And do you mean worse in terms of anxiety or other symptoms? Thanks

Nas

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 01:05:09 PM »

Hi,

Please, I need help.
XXX

Hi kdee69
I was going to ask the same as Penguin. Did your anxiety worsen to begin with? Any other side effects? I don’t know whether to ask for sertraline or fluoxetine now. Both would be a low dose to start with anyway.

Glad you are feeling more human at least. This anxiety malarkey is brutal!

orrla

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 01:36:01 PM »

Hi, now 68, Testosterone seem to helped me with my anxieties, after years of idiotic ones, crying, you name it..  Tough as a nail now, ..and pissed😉

🤗

suzysunday

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2024, 07:36:22 PM »

Your post really made me laugh orrla!   I've had anxiety most of my life, so I'm not sure if it's menopause or not, it does seem worse though.  You've encouraged me to ask for testosterone!

kdee69

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 12:09:12 PM »

@penguin and @nas...

Sorry, I wasn't on my laptop over the weekend.

I definitely felt worse for about 2-3 weeks and after 3 weeks I asked for the dose to be increased.
In terms of "in what way", it was all anxiety related. My thoughts were just going down rabbit hole after rabbit hole and the only thing that kept me on the tablets was that other people I knew and my Nurse Practitioner and good old Dr Google all said the same thing, that I'd feel worse before I got better. I didn't feel my anxiety could be worse but it was! All that said, i had other symptoms too, dry mouth, lack of appetite, wild wild dreams, tired, a bit of an iffy stomach (but not unmanageable) so I knew they were doing something!!!
I have now been on my 20mg for three weeks and the 10mg for 3 weeks earlier. I am definitely better but I would say I'm still not 100%.
It's been just a bloody awful time and I didn't realise exactly how bad I was till now and I'm looking back at it. It's a miracle us ladies get through it all.

I am going to finish this packet (so another week) and see how I am - it can apparently take anywhere between 2 and 8 weeks to really see a difference. Then I'll assess and might make another appointment with the NP.
The thing that keeps me going is that this is completely irrational for me - my life is probably the most stable and happy it's ever been so I am absolutely positive it's hormone related.

Nas - my friend is on Sertraline and it works like a charm for her so whatever your Dr says is probably best.

Penguin

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2024, 12:55:18 PM »

@penguin and @nas...

Sorry, I wasn't on my laptop over the weekend.

I definitely felt worse for about 2-3 weeks and after 3 weeks I asked for the dose to be increased.
In terms of "in what way", it was all anxiety related. My thoughts were just going down rabbit hole after rabbit hole and the only thing that kept me on the tablets was that other people I knew and my Nurse Practitioner and good old Dr Google all said the same thing, that I'd feel worse before I got better. I didn't feel my anxiety could be worse but it was! All that said, i had other symptoms too, dry mouth, lack of appetite, wild wild dreams, tired, a bit of an iffy stomach (but not unmanageable) so I knew they were doing something!!!
I have now been on my 20mg for three weeks and the 10mg for 3 weeks earlier. I am definitely better but I would say I'm still not 100%.
It's been just a bloody awful time and I didn't realise exactly how bad I was till now and I'm looking back at it. It's a miracle us ladies get through it all.

I am going to finish this packet (so another week) and see how I am - it can apparently take anywhere between 2 and 8 weeks to really see a difference. Then I'll assess and might make another appointment with the NP.
The thing that keeps me going is that this is completely irrational for me - my life is probably the most stable and happy it's ever been so I am absolutely positive it's hormone related.

Nas - my friend is on Sertraline and it works like a charm for her so whatever your Dr says is probably best.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I have tried increasing my estrogen first and I am still getting low level anxiety so I do think my serotonin probably also needs addressing as well. I am SO scared to increase as when I tried before I lasted only 5 days and that was only going from 10mg to 15mg. However my GP said the 10mg is a very low dose and given the estrogel increase hasn't been sufficient, I think I need to try again. I was hoping you'd said your side effects were just physical but perhaps there's a way I can prepare myself for mental ones. I do think I need to give the higher dose a go before switching to something else, it never seems to be the right time though!!!

Northerngirl

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2024, 04:49:01 PM »

Booklet, looks like it's a massive issue for us postmenopausal ladies. I've always been a bit of a worrier but nothing like this. I've recently had to stop all HRT while I wait for a hysteroscopy/biopsy and this has made my anxiety a million times worse at present. I've had propranolol prescribed while I wait to see if I have cancer or not. Stressful times
Just wanted to say you are definitely not alone
Pages: [1] 2