Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Just started Oestrogel age 60  (Read 621 times)

N5ECY

Just started Oestrogel age 60
« on: January 22, 2024, 08:46:49 AM »

Hi all. I've finally got some oestrogel from my gp. Difficult at 60 but got there in the end. I'm 20 years post hysterectomy and 8 years post oopherectomy. Been having a terrible time with night sweats, lack of sleep, anxiety. Just wondered how long before it will take effect. I'm on 2 pumps (1.25g a dose). Started it 5 days ago. I do feel a bit better. Still waking (6 times) last nite but not sweating as much. I've split the dose for now as felt a bit strange after 8 years of no oestrogen. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Just started Oestrogel age 60
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 10:24:16 AM »

Morning.   It may take a while for the body to feel the uptake of HRT.  Gently does it.  Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?

N5ECY

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 10:36:29 AM »

I don't I'm afraid but sounds good. Been at it so long it became part of my life. I do feel a lot brighter today tho. Do you think splitting the dose is a good idea.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 11:39:38 AM »

hi the general advice is that it takes up to 3 months to see the benefits.  Hot flushed are usually the first thing to go.  Everyone is different , but from my own experience it takes time and patience and your body has been without oestrogen for  a long time.

I'm on four pumps of oestrogel and have never split the dose, but some ladies find it works.

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 12:41:18 PM »

I split the dose, three in the morning and one at night. I am similar in that I have had hysterectomy and oophorectomy two and a half years ago. So you can see that at the moment you are on half what I take. Give it time, two pumps may be enough but equally you may find you need to go up a bit. But as you say it's been a long time since your oophorectomy so slow and steady wins the race. x

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 02:30:44 PM »

Flushes usually go within a couple of weeks. My anxiety and insomnia took 3 months.

N5ECY

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 05:02:47 PM »

Thanks everyone. It's trial and error then. I'll see how I go. Mite go back to doing both doses at nite in a week or so as sleeping is a big problem. Lost my mum last year so that didnt help. My gp said its quite often a tough time for women of my age. Menopause, elderley parents and often other health problems start emerging. Appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks again.