Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Cyclogest absorption  (Read 1128 times)

discogirl

Cyclogest absorption
« on: January 12, 2024, 03:33:20 PM »

I am coming up to my second month off hrt.

I had blood estrogen levels of 1603 (post meno) and then a very heavy bleed. I had a thickened endometrium, biopsy done which was all ok. It turns out I was not absorbing the cyclogest and it was causing unopposed estrogen, hence the high blood readings. I was using cyclogest rectally and I wondered if anyone knew if it was better absorbed vaginally.

Thanks x

Kathleen

Re: Cyclogest absorption
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 06:04:24 PM »

Hello discogirl

My experience may be of interest to you.

I am very post meno and  have been cutting Cyclogest 200 mg pessaries in half and using them vaginally for quite a while. I have also been using 1mg sachets of Sandrena gel daily. At the beginning of November I switched to two pumps of Oestrogel but I believe that the oestrogen dose is the same. 

About six weeks ago I had my oestrogen levels tested and they were 174 so I think that I was absorbing Cyclogest vaginally. Btw  I would like to continue with Cyclogest but my GP surgery now provides my HRT and they want me to use Utrogestan from now on.

I hope this helps in some way.
Take care.

K.

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 08:16:21 AM »

Hello discogirl

My experience may be of interest to you.

I am very post meno and  have been cutting Cyclogest 200 mg pessaries in half and using them vaginally for quite a while. I have also been using 1mg sachets of Sandrena gel daily. At the beginning of November I switched to two pumps of Oestrogel but I believe that the oestrogen dose is the same. 

About six weeks ago I had my oestrogen levels tested and they were 174 so I think that I was absorbing Cyclogest vaginally. Btw  I would like to continue with Cyclogest but my GP surgery now provides my HRT and they want me to use Utrogestan from now on.

I hope this helps in some way.
Take care.

K.
[/quot

Hi Kathleen

Thanks for replying.

That does help a lot. I was also cutting the cyclogest pessary however I was using it rectally and obviously not absorbing it.

When I had my one and only meno clinic appt in December the meno Dr said I was to use the whole pessary.

Its just so I have a bit of a plan should I need to go back on hrt.

Have your gp surgery indicated why they wont supply you with cyclogest anymore?

Take care x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 09:31:36 AM »

Hello again discogirl

The Nurse Practitioner that I saw this week told me that they do not offer Cyclogest for HRT. I showed her a letter from the NHS Consultant who suggested I use Lutigest but the surgery won't prescribe that either. The nurse added that the consultant should be aware that these products are not available through Primary Care, but from your experience they clearly are!

I would have preferred to stay on Cyclogest and increase the dose or move to Lutigest but   instead I am giving Utrogestan another try. I am trying not to worry about any mood problems that may come with oral Utrogestan as I don't want to jinx it!

I wish you luck with being HRT free and I hope things go well for you.

Take care.

K.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 07:51:32 PM »

Kathleen, have you tried to buy Cyclogest from an online pharmacy?  It might be worth a try and it's not expensive, particularly if you are cutting the pessaries into smaller doses.

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 07:29:05 AM »

Hello again discogirl

The Nurse Practitioner that I saw this week told me that they do not offer Cyclogest for HRT. I showed her a letter from the NHS Consultant who suggested I use Lutigest but the surgery won't prescribe that either. The nurse added that the consultant should be aware that these products are not available through Primary Care, but from your experience they clearly are!

I would have preferred to stay on Cyclogest and increase the dose or move to Lutigest but   instead I am giving Utrogestan another try. I am trying not to worry about any mood problems that may come with oral Utrogestan as I don't want to jinx it!

I wish you luck with being HRT free and I hope things go well for you.

Take care.

K.

Hi Kathleen

Its strange how some women can get cyclogest through their gp and other women have issues. You would think there would be some uniformity.

I hope you get settled on utro.

Take care x
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 07:58:57 AM by discogirl »

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 09:37:27 AM »

Hello again ladies.

Mary G - that is a good idea and I will bear it in mind if Utrogestan doesn't work out. Part of my worry is that mood swings are an issue for me and I don't want Utrogestan to add to my problems. I understand that some women are fine taking it and others find it calming. I am keeping everything crossed that I don't feel worse.

discogirl - I hoped that I would get Cyclogest from my surgery or at least the equivalent Lutigest as prescribed by the consultant. It makes me wonder why I was told to see the consultant on the first place if his recommendations were going to be ignored. As you say, you would think that there would be some uniformity and at times like this I always suspect it is a question of budgets.

Many thanks for your replies ladies and take care.

K.