Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Depression-HRT-antibiotics  (Read 516 times)

CarryB75

• First Flush
Depression-HRT-antibiotics
« on: January 13, 2024, 11:24:58 PM »

Hi, I posted a couple of weeks back and can’t seem to reply individually to the lovely ladies who replied with advice.

I just wanted to say a big thank you and (I hope this may help others) I’ve since discovered that the reason for my sudden dramatic recurring depression/peri menopause symptoms was actually due to my antibiotics (Doxycycline)

After tonnes of research I discovered that certain antibiotics can actually affect HRT (in my case it practically stopped it working at all)

Unfortunately, I need Doxycycline quite a fair bit in my life so this is going to be a big problem BUT I’m hoping the solution would be to up the Oestrogel whilst on the antibiotics.

Big lesson learnt, three weeks of being back in that awful scary dark place but I’ve come out the other side (I upped from 3 pumps to 4 pumps and am not on antibiotics any longer)

Hope this info may help someone at some point ☺️😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Depression-HRT-antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 09:06:29 AM »

Tnx for the update.   MayB discuss whether a different HRT regime would help if you need Doxycycline?

Wrensong

Re: Depression-HRT-antibiotics
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 12:22:34 PM »

Hi CarryB75 &  :welcomemm:
After tonnes of research I discovered that certain antibiotics can actually affect HRT (in my case it practically stopped it working at all)

I feel for you as I'm still struggling with an upswing in menopause symptoms despite various tweaks to HRT, since being obliged to take several courses of antibiotics last year.  I started a thread on the association between the two a little while back with links to some of the articles I'd found.  You may well have read them but I'll try to find & bump the thread in case you want to have a look.  I concentrated on the link between antibiotics & vasomotor symptoms, but the research I linked to does also make reference to the effect on mood & as we well know it is all interlinked.  The thread's in the Private Lives section & it's called antibiotics, gut dysbiosis, vasomotor & psychological symptoms of menopause.

I hope you find a way of managing your symptoms if you are going to need both types of medication for the foreseeable future.  That you feel better after increasing your oestrogen dose seems to bode well.
Wx