Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Ran out of patches NYE!  (Read 980 times)

KaraShannon

Ran out of patches NYE!
« on: January 01, 2024, 01:09:47 AM »

Hi all

I could use some advice.  I'm pretty annoyed because my doctor's surgery are constantly not supplying medication when it's requested, often saying it's not the right time and I spend most of my time explaining, doing the math for them (it did come to that one day) and then eventually getting the medication.  I'm not paid for the time I spend doing this.  Sorry but it's pretty annoying.  No offence to most hardworking reception staff, I'm not commenting on individual people, just on the service that I've been getting and everyone I know feels the same.

Now I don't seem to have a combined patch and it was meant to be changed tonight.  One had to be discarded the other day as it wouldn't stick, but even so, I've asked to have a few over so that I'm not in this position.  Not a lot, just a few.  The Newson clinic actually recommends having a month's supply spare, I'm not asking for that much.

As far as I know I changed it on Thursday, so hopefully there's enough in it until tomorrow when hopefully I can find a pharmacy open, but usually it's 3 days from Thursday and knowing my body, it knows and will act up!

I have an old combined patch from March 2023 that was in the back of a drawer, it has tape on the packet so it was opened accidentally and immediately taped back up.

Now the question is, to wait until tomorrow and leave the one on that I've got on, hoping 4 days will be ok.

Or change to the old one and hope there's enough medication in it.

So fed up with constantly chasing medication, I would have had this organised if my request was just accepted  :'(
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 02:53:35 AM by KaraShannon »

KaraShannon

Re: Ran out of patches NYE!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 01:11:07 AM »

Happy New Year Everyone.  I hope it's good for you all, I'm just upset about this, but otherwise have been happy tonight  :)

KaraShannon

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 01:40:14 AM »

Stressed.

Not a good start to the new year.

And now I'm talking to myself as y'all gone to bed or out partying  ;D

edited to say I'm not really laughing, I get awful head zaps when the hormones are out, I just hope the patch will last till tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 01:51:21 AM by KaraShannon »

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 07:39:36 AM »

The March 2023 patch is probably OK if the backing is still secure. Worth a try perhaps. My local independent pharmacy is open today for three hours, so you might find somewhere to get an emergency supply. It's a poor show if your surgery won't let you have your prescription a bit earlier in the run up to a holiday period.
That aside, Happy New Year!
JP x

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 12:54:38 PM »

Thanks Joaniepat

I didn't mean to come across as a grouch last night but there's been numerous problems for a number of years now.  I know not all services are the same.

I called the friendly pharmacist that's nearby and always willing to help, but she didn't entertain any discussion about it and made it very clear I have to go through 111, without further discussion, for a patch.

I called 111, so am waiting, but the pharmacy close at 4.

This is a major warning to me, it's been crazy this last year and even other people have commented who live outside my area, saying I'm driving miles to try and get medicene, etc and they don't understand it. 

I'm coming down heavy after this.  I want a month's supply in advance.

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 01:19:13 PM »

spoken to 111, got a referral (not a prescription) to a local centre. 

This all seems such a waste of time and resources.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 01:51:34 PM »

Yes, I would also be having strong words with the surgery! We've all got better things to do than chase around in this fashion because of their "rules". It's too silly. Good luck and I hope you get something sorted.
JP x

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 03:15:57 PM »

I hope you got something.

My husband tracks his medications on a spreadsheet, having been kept short of something that he needs to take constantly, as he is only ever prescribed monthly amounts. It also helps him keep track of pre-payment certificates. He has a small backlog from ordering as soon as he is allowed, and ordering before the surgery have caught up with his consultant changing the dose down.  It is very useful for planning ahead though, and having numbers at hand.

Moog77

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 07:10:16 PM »

Hi there

this is pretty annoying and stressful too!

What I have done is sourced an online pharmacy that will dispense patches by filling in an online form. Yes i have to pay for it but it means I always have one months 'floating' reserve which covers hopefully any delays at GP or pharmacy and any of those pesky ones that dont stick (I have found a 20 second blast with a hairdryer get the patches to stick really well).

Just a thought - usually one months supply costs around 24 - 28 pound. I use Oxford Online Pharmacy.

KaraShannon

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 11:34:18 PM »

I was wondering about doing something like this Moog77, thanks, I will have a look at that pharmacy.  :)

Katymac

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 08:05:29 AM »

I was having this, the computer says you can't order before a certain date, you order on that date and 3-5 days later it's at the chemist....

But God forbid that's a day you can't make it to the chemist or they don't have it in or there has been a Hiccup in timings and it taken 2/3 days longer as your patch is due to change that day!

The reception ladies have suggested filling in a paper form for my repeat prescription as the computer can't say no to that
...its 2024 fgs!

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2024, 08:13:52 AM »

Wow I'm sorry you are having all these problems, they shouldn't make you go right up to the point of running out before issuing a are prescriptions. I don't know if we have a cut off date at our surgery but I usually get refills at least two weeks before I run out, sometimes three. Also I've told them before when we were going away and they've dispensed even earlier
 Perhaps some places they are stricter than others, but I don't understand it as hrt isn't a controlled medicine in the way way that, say  benzos like diaxepam are, where they do have to be exact on quantity.