Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scan results and referral  (Read 1554 times)

Penguin

Re: Scan results and referral
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2024, 05:22:03 PM »

A raised CA125 level can also be due to endo, fibroids or even being close to your period. Lots of reasons for a raised CA125. There's arguments that it should only really be used for checking progress of women who actually have OC to see if treatment is working or not. Definitely not that reliable an indicator which is why it is always used in conjunction with a pelvic scan.

I didn't know that, I've always been tod it's to check for cancer, though it has always been done along with a scan.

Hi Jules
The NHS link below shows how and why it is used, as well as the other reasons CA125 would be raised. They wouldn't use it to check for other things, but it can be raised for other reasons than OC and I think its important for others searching about CA125 to see that. My brother in law is an obstetrician in Australia and advised me of this when I was over there last year and worried about being tested due to abdo pain and constipation (both OC symptoms). I just thought it important to flag up that there are other reasons for it being elevated, particularly given the OP has already said she has endo.

https://www.yorkhospitals.nhs.uk/our-services/a-z-of-services/lab-med/test-directory/clinical-biochemistry/ca125/

Penguin x

Jules

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2024, 08:05:16 PM »

Thanks Penguin. I've read it online now. It's handy having a doctor in the family especially in the current climate. My son met a GP who was previously a cancer surgeon. I'm encouraging him to keep her as a friend!

Penguin

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2024, 08:15:04 PM »

Thanks Penguin. I've read it online now. It's handy having a doctor in the family especially in the current climate. My son met a GP who was previously a cancer surgeon. I'm encouraging him to keep her as a friend!

Yeah he is defo useful, although Australia is too far to be of much practical help 🤣

Jules

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2024, 10:29:39 PM »

Yeah he is defo useful, although Australia is too far to be of much practical help 🤣

Yes no physical examinations down under

Penguin

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2024, 06:55:21 AM »

Oh god can you imagine, my brother in law, thats just mot gonna happen even if we lived on the same street 🤣🙈🤣🙈

Jules

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2024, 11:21:44 AM »

Oh god can you imagine, my brother in law, thats just mot gonna happen even if we lived on the same street 🤣🙈🤣🙈

I don't like anybody looking at me these days.
Pages: 1 [2]