Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Allergy to Vagirux?  (Read 1953 times)

Ruralrach

Allergy to Vagirux?
« on: December 22, 2023, 01:40:38 PM »

Hi ladies,anyone else had issues with Vagirux pessary.?
Just been given steroid cream for inflammation.Will have to stop using them as its too painful.Issues still with Oestrogel,blood test soon so maybe linked with low absorption.Night sweats continue on 5 pumps of Oestrogel,any advice gratefully received.Merry Christmas everyone :).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Allergy to Vagirux?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 01:49:43 PM »

It appears that GPs are prescribing the cheaper oestrogen rather than 'vagifem' or 'ovestin'.  Some ladies require both, the latter smeared on the labia/vulva.

I would ring the Surgery and ask for 'vagifem', then insert into the vagina every night for at least 3 weeks.  Steroid creams should be used with care.

Do U have any underlying conditions that cause thin skin?

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 06:01:17 PM »

I specifically ask for vagifem now as something in vagirux burns me, probably the coating. When I removed it the burning stopped instantly.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 04:27:23 PM by Dierdre »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 07:05:09 PM »

MayB the packaging?

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 10:49:04 PM »

The ingredients are identical but somethings not right.

awake and nervous

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 11:51:58 AM »

My last prescription for estradiol pessaries was Vagirux. I had been using Vagifem without issue up until then. I wasn’t consulted about the change as I have it on repeat prescription, but it seems that it’s becoming common to prescribe it because there is less waste - ie only one applicator.
I think it may be the coating that is different as I know the ingredients are meant to be identical.
I have no allergic reaction to vagirux but have noticed that it leaves more ‘residue’ than vagifem (yeuch!) so am not happy with it. I will be asking for vagifem next prescription!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 10:58:37 PM by awake and nervous »

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 12:31:29 PM »

I have recently had my prescription changed from Vagifem to generic esradiol pessaries. The first month I got lucky and was given Vagifem, next one was applicator estradiol but my recent one is estradiol and reusable applicator. I am now on second week of flare up and I haven't had a bad one for ages.
These ones are leaving me with residue in my underwear and I have inflamed vulval skin now which is stinging. The applicators are rough as well. I am wondering if not dispensing properly.

I am going to put a e consult in and ask to be prescribed the Vagifem again.

orrla

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 09:14:08 PM »

Vagirux was no good for anything for me!  Used it for over a year, and was burning more and more, and eventually I developed severe bladder infection for which had to take antibiotics. Now have that ring with hormone in and burning stopped straight away. It's a cheap stuff, not good!.. for me.

:-*

Ruralrach

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 10:08:12 AM »

Update on Vagirux swapped for Vagifem and its improved.Also added Ovestin cream which is more soothing.
Just looking to get Oestrogel levels right,night sweats still on 5 pumps,waiting on blood results for level .Review with G.p next week.
Would it be worth trying Sandrena as already tried Evorel patch and Lenzetto which didnt absorb.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 11:52:46 AM »

Tnx for the update Ruralrach - How long have you used HRT?  It may take 3-6 months B4 the body recognises the uptake of replacement, so stick with what you have been using? 

Pleased that you are getting the VA under control, you may require treatment nightly or U could get away every 3rd or 5/6th nights.  It's a bit Trial and Error.  Let us know how you get on ?