Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Double dose of desogestral?  (Read 1399 times)

SeaWench

• First Flush
Double dose of desogestral?
« on: April 13, 2023, 07:37:17 PM »

Hi is anyone taking 2 contraceptive pills daily as their progesterone? I was given HRT but advised to change from the pill to the mirena coil as pill wouldn’t provide enough progesterone, when I said I don’t want the coil and can I not double my pill the doctor said no that’s not been approved. When I went to pick up my prescription it said ‘two pills to be taken daily’ which even the pharmacist said didn’t sound right. Before I question this with the doctor (tried to google but nothing came up) I wondered if anyone else had done this?

Flossieteacake

Re: Double dose of desogestral?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 07:39:27 PM »

Two destrogestal can be taken as the progesterone part of HRT. Many GPs are not aware of this though. I found out through a menopause clinic.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Dotty

Booroo

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 06:29:44 AM »

Hi is anyone taking 2 contraceptive pills daily as their progesterone? I was given HRT but advised to change from the pill to the mirena coil as pill wouldn’t provide enough progesterone, when I said I don’t want the coil and can I not double my pill the doctor said no that’s not been approved. When I went to pick up my prescription it said ‘two pills to be taken daily’ which even the pharmacist said didn’t sound right. Before I question this with the doctor (tried to google but nothing came up) I wondered if anyone else had done this?

I am

Nico

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 12:34:07 PM »

Yes I am as well. But it is off licence, and some GPs don't approve of it. Also I was told (by a doctor at National Migraine Centre who is not a fan of it) that if I needed to increase my oestrogen (from Evorel 50) that 2 x desogestrel wouldn't be enough and I'd need to change to something else for the progesterone side of it.

Booroo

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 04:34:07 PM »

Yes I am as well. But it is off licence, and some GPs don't approve of it. Also I was told (by a doctor at National Migraine Centre who is not a fan of it) that if I needed to increase my oestrogen (from Evorel 50) that 2 x desogestrel wouldn't be enough and I'd need to change to something else for the progesterone side of it.
That’s the bit that worries me the changing of progesterone x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 08:17:11 AM »

The main thing is the research has not been done recently to look at its use as part of HRT and effect on womb lining. There was a 2 year study done back in the 90's when it was used cyclically and no hyperplasia etc was found after 12 months, but this is not sufficient (presumably) to license its use for HRT and not on a continuous basis.  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8429799/ However as BMS suggest it can be used off licence there must be anecdotal evidence of its efficacy/safety, but ideally would need monitoring and prompt investigation of any abnormal bleeding (as should always be the case!)

Hurdity x

slowmo

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 01:49:35 PM »

as of today, I am now continuing desogestral x 2 which I have been on years due to endo, all other progesterone has affected me very badly.  My GP noted that when I went for samples to be taken of my womb lining, it was too thin to take any, this is while I was on this combination.

We have agreed to see how things are in 2 months and if it comes to it I will pay the £200 for private scan to check womb lining annually.