Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Venlafaxine for anxiety?  (Read 2284 times)

Dawn3129

Venlafaxine for anxiety?
« on: January 08, 2024, 01:29:46 PM »

Has anyone got any good advice on anti anxiety meds?

Penguin

Re: Venlafaxine for anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 01:50:40 PM »

The one you've mentioned in the title is the one used for hot flushes as well. I think some women take it instead of hrt if flushes are their only symptom.

I use citalopram and its okay, but not convinced it's the best out  there, although I am on a low dose so perhaps it is good better at higher doses.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 02:01:22 PM »

I have been on many ADs and anti-anxiety medications since 1988. 

Currently taking Escitalopram 5mg morning, 10 at night.  Works for me.  When anxiety hits I have an emergency med which I haven't required for 4 years. 

Charleyfarley

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 08:37:43 PM »

I take Venlafaxine for anxiety and it’s up there with the heavy hitters 👏 very effective…

I took Citalopram for milder anxiety for quite a long time but after a birth trauma and the introduction of peri I was in need of a more front line soldier 🤯 was prescribed venlafaxine and it worked really well…health anxiety is through the roof but day to day for GAD it’s a good one….

Interestingly I was prescribed quitiapine at the same time, it was a replacement for Diazepam when I was really struggling with panic attacks…I was horrified when I got home and researched that it was an anti psychotic 🫣 but I was told that the dose they’d given me (25mg) was purely for anxiety management and boy was I grateful for it when peri hit 😂 of all of the symptoms I’ve suffered the worst would have been sleep issues…and let me tell you, one of those at 10pm every night and ain’t nobody waking me up until 7am prompt the next day 💤🤩😂…sleep is so important for my mental health so I’m taking one for the team and letting the fact that it’s a sedative slide….8hrs a nite uninterrupted has saved me in many ways 🙏xxx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 09:02:48 PM »

Interesting about Quitiapine ........... strange how medications designed for 1 issue can help with others . 

Charleyfarley

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 10:21:00 PM »

So interesting isn’t it CKLD……I remember the doctor saying “so we’re trying to stay away from over prescribing diazepam…..” due to addiction etc…so I was waiting for the old “hot bath and St John’s wart” spiel…..but no….here you go, have some horse tranquilizers instead 🤷‍♀️🤣 extremely grateful for it now though 🙏

I wouldn’t be without it….i mean, I think my boyfriend would as it likes to promote the snoring but meh! he can cope 💤👌😂

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 12:49:15 PM »

I take Venlafaxine for anxiety and it’s up there with the heavy hitters 👏 very effective…

I took Citalopram for milder anxiety for quite a long time but after a birth trauma and the introduction of peri I was in need of a more front line soldier 🤯 was prescribed venlafaxine and it worked really well…health anxiety is through the roof but day to day for GAD it’s a good one….

Interestingly I was prescribed quitiapine at the same time, it was a replacement for Diazepam when I was really struggling with panic attacks…I was horrified when I got home and researched that it was an anti psychotic 🫣 but I was told that the dose they’d given me (25mg) was purely for anxiety management and boy was I grateful for it when peri hit 😂 of all of the symptoms I’ve suffered the worst would have been sleep issues…and let me tell you, one of those at 10pm every night and ain’t nobody waking me up until 7am prompt the next day 💤🤩😂…sleep is so important for my mental health so I’m taking one for the team and letting the fact that it’s a sedative slide….8hrs a nite uninterrupted has saved me in many ways 🙏xxx

Hi just wondering, did you start both at exactly same time? As wondering how you know the venlafaxine itself is working? Considering a change from citalopram and potentially addressing hot flushes this way rather than with systemic hrt, heard venlafaxine is best option in that regard.

Nellf

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 02:08:45 PM »

I've just been switched from sertraline to venlaflaxine by my gp.  I'm also progesterone intolerant.  I'm on 75 mg at the moment and feel.that it's not really doing anything for me.  Feel flat and get jittery and anxious. 

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 02:10:18 PM »

I've just been switched from sertraline to venlaflaxine by my gp.  I'm also progesterone intolerant.  I'm on 75 mg at the moment and feel.that it's not really doing anything for me.  Feel flat and get jittery and anxious.

Was the sertraline helping? How long have you been om the venlafaxine? I think with citalopram (an ssri) I was told 6 weeks before full effects. Perhaps it is too soon to tell ?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 05:51:37 PM »

I think it does depend on whether 1 has taken ADs previously, as I never had to 'wait' to feel effects, good or bad.  The latter struck within 24 hours ......... escitalopram suits me fine for now.  One AD can't remember which: I took 9 weeks to wean off with GP supervision.

I also used Bachs Flower mouth spray with success, would use it 30 mins B4 an event and never wondered whether it worked/not.  Never required an extra squirt ;-)

Nellf

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 07:43:24 PM »

I was started on 37.5 mg then upped to 75.  Been nearly 8 weeks now and still nothing   was on 200mg of sertraline a d my Gp suggested that I had in her words maxed out.  I have always thought that my low mood was hormone related and did eventually find out after going private, that I was progesterone intolerant.  I'm currently taking 200mg utrogestan vaginally but having some bleeding.  Off for a scan tomorrow.  My Gp dismissed all of that and told me that my mood was not hormonal related and that we should try another AD.  So here we are.  Review in a couple of weeks. 

Moog77

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 07:45:27 PM »

Venlafaxine is incredibly challenging to come off. I would urge anyone considering it to take this into account.

Nellf

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 07:51:52 PM »

I know.  That's what's worrying me

Penguin

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 07:58:15 PM »

Venlafaxine is incredibly challenging to come off. I would urge anyone considering it to take this into account.

Is it worse than other ssri meds do you think, or are they all hard to come off?

Nellf

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 08:02:34 PM »

I switched more or less from sertraline to venlaflaxine so i can't really say.  I had been on sertraline a while though.  Originally prescribed for severe PMT.
Pages: [1] 2