Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Panic attacks, surges  (Read 1262 times)

Mummytron

Panic attacks, surges
« on: January 05, 2024, 10:05:31 PM »

Can anyone help please?
I keep getting what feels like my heart is pounding out of my chest but it isn't high when I do a reading. It makes me feel breathless and really, really unsettled.
It passes but sometimes,I've tonight, it's so intense I've come to bed as I feel frightened but I'm not sure why.

Lalb1

Re: Panic attacks, surges
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 10:38:09 PM »

I've started having this feeling again.
I used to get it about 4 or 5 years ago and it was pretty scary, I was given propranolol for it which seemed to help.
It went away so I didn't need the meds. But this last 2 weeks it's returned.Mainly at night so far,when I'm sat watching TV or reading.
I've took readings too and no high BP and pulse is just slightly raised but nothing majorly bad.
It does feel like panic/anxiety.Ots scary and there's a feeling of doom/uncertainty.

I've taken to getting up and doing stuff, anything to distract me, have also started to play a game on sons games console!🤣

Banjo1973

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 08:51:51 AM »

Can I ask your ages and if you are on any sort of HRT.

You have described exactly what I used to get when my Peri symptoms kicked in. I do take HRT now, but I can tell if my oestrogen is low if I get those awful sensations.

Take care xxx

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 09:09:00 AM »

I've started having this feeling again.
I used to get it about 4 or 5 years ago and it was pretty scary, I was given propranolol for it which seemed to help.
It went away so I didn't need the meds. But this last 2 weeks it's returned.Mainly at night so far,when I'm sat watching TV or reading.
I've took readings too and no high BP and pulse is just slightly raised but nothing majorly bad.
It does feel like panic/anxiety.Ots scary and there's a feeling of doom/uncertainty.

I've taken to getting up and doing stuff, anything to distract me, have also started to play a game on sons games console!🤣

Ho do you take the propanalol even when your pulse is just slightly raised? I have been given it for same reason but have only taken it when my pulse had been in the 90s. Sometimes I feel like my heart is racing even though its only 65-70. Can you still take propanalol then or would it lower hr too much?

Feebs

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 09:38:25 AM »

In my experience propranolol doesn’t lower your normal heart rate by much (this will depend on the dose of course-I only take 10mg every morning, and sometimes another later in the day if I am anxious), however it seems to calm down my whole body so that feelings of panic are reduced and then I don’t get the pounding heart.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 09:41:12 AM »

Morning.  Taking Propranolol at the same time i.e. every morning or evening, should work.  It is a banned substance for sports people as it lowers the heart rate to control anxiety.

Anxiety isn't anything connected to blood pressure.

Mummytron

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 10:22:31 AM »

Banjo,
I'm 48 and not on hrt yet. I had raised blood pressure that needed sorting and I've struggled to find one that suited me, it seems to be coming down now and I have an appointment at the end of the month to discuss further.
I think I've been in peri 8 years and over the time I've had symptoms that have been really severe and times when I haven't but these surges as I call them are flipping horrible.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 10:37:27 AM »

In my experience propranolol doesn’t lower your normal heart rate by much (this will depend on the dose of course-I only take 10mg every morning, and sometimes another later in the day if I am anxious), however it seems to calm down my whole body so that feelings of panic are reduced and then I don’t get the pounding heart.

Thanks that's good to know. I have 40mg tablets which I have only ever taken half of. Sounds like it is worth trying when I get that surge feeling.

Banjo1973

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 10:58:30 AM »

Banjo,
I'm 48 and not on hrt yet. I had raised blood pressure that needed sorting and I've struggled to find one that suited me, it seems to be coming down now and I have an appointment at the end of the month to discuss further.
I think I've been in peri 8 years and over the time I've had symptoms that have been really severe and times when I haven't but these surges as I call them are flipping horrible.

I too am on BP medication, I take it just before bed to avoid any side affects. It hasnt lowered my BP into a 'healthy' range, but its better. I really hope you find something that suits you.

I starred taking HRT at 48 and for me it was a game changer. The palpitations and sudden feelings of gloom just lifted.

I know HRT doesn't work for everyone, but it might be worth exploring.

Good luck x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 12:45:35 PM »

Initially my GP put me on 80mg 3 times a day, after 3 weeks dropped to 40mg twice a day.  Then 40mg at night and I dropped it to 20mg after a few years. 

Mummytron

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 01:49:16 PM »

Banjo,

I too am on BP medication, I take it just before bed to avoid any side affects. It hasnt lowered my BP into a 'healthy' range, but its better. I really hope you find something that suits you.

I starred taking HRT at 48 and for me it was a game changer. The palpitations and sudden feelings of gloom just lifted.

Good luck x

Yes, exactly the same for me. Take it at bedtime and is lower but not where it needs to be but controlled.
Thank you for your posts x

Banjo1973

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 02:34:10 PM »

Hi Mummytron,

If you are going to go down the HRT route. I would recommend using either a patch or Sandrena as your oestrogen. I myself and many other women have found that recently Oestrogel has stopped working for them.

I know some people might rush to Oestrogel's defence, but I know so many women who have ditched Oestrogel and are much happier on their alternative.

Keep us posted z

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 04:41:09 PM »

Taking it in the evening certainly eased my early morning cortisol anxiety surges and saved my Life at that time.

Nikismith75

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 11:02:42 AM »

Banjo,

Good luck x

This is my first post so sorry if I do anything wrong….Around 6 weeks ago I had my first ever panic attack, I put it down to stress then carried on.  But then I had another, and another and another.  I was terrified and ended up having to go to hospital because I genuinely thought I was having a heart attack….and it took me weeks to get over the worst of it….in fact I wouldn’t go out and was frightened of being left on my own….after numerous conversations with GP (menopause was instantly dismissed at first appointment) they have decided to put me on HRT patches.  I still get the tightness/nervousness in my tummy and the jittery feeling inside but nothing as extreme as it was.   I’ve been using the patches for around 10 days….should the feelings have gone by now?  I’ve also been prescribed the propanol but haven’t taken any because my heart rate feels like it’s racing (but it’s actually not) and my blood pressure is fine so got worried that this would make things worse.  Any tips going forward?  Thank you x

Banjo1973

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 01:57:54 PM »

Hi Nikki,

Welcome!

For some people it takes around 3 months to get the full effects, for others its quicker, and some need to tweak their HRT and some never get on with HRT. It seems like you are going in the right direction.

Personally, the mental aspect (anxiety and jittery dread) took looker to go than the physical aspects of peri. However. I feel a million times better than I did, I'm able to go out and enjoy myself rather than only feeling safe at home.

Take each day as it comes, maybe even keep a diary?

Good luck with it and keep us updated x
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 01:59:59 PM by Banjo1973 »
Pages: [1] 2