Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Iron supplements  (Read 1045 times)

Gillydlf

Iron supplements
« on: January 03, 2024, 04:44:46 PM »

I’ve just received a phone call from my Gp telling me my iron count is low so she’s prescribing Ferrous Fumerate 210mg. When I picked the tablets up from the pharmacist she said oh these are horrible to take! I asked why & she just repeated they are horrible & to take them with orange juice on an empty stomach. I’m know worried about taking them & wondering if anyone has taken them recently & how they felt after taking them?
Thanks

Oubas

• First Flush
Re: Iron supplements
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 05:11:39 PM »

Hi Gillydlf. I take ferrous fumerate daily with no issues whatsoever other than that they cause black poo 🙈

They can cause constipation but I’ve had no issues with that.

For optimum absorption, they should be taken on an empty stomach with liquid and vitamin C (hence your pharmacist’s advice to take with orange juice)

I take mine first thing with a cup of tea and my B Complex tablet which also contains vit C.

Gillydlf

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 05:33:10 PM »

Hi Oubas thank you so much for your swift reply you have made me feel so much calmer about taking them. I did the one thing I know I shouldn’t have I read all the side effects!

Black poo I can cope with.

I’m planning to start taking them tomorrow morning now

Katherine

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 06:13:55 PM »

I’ve just received a phone call from my Gp telling me my iron count is low so she’s prescribing Ferrous Fumerate 210mg. When I picked the tablets up from the pharmacist she said oh these are horrible to take! I asked why & she just repeated they are horrible & to take them with orange juice on an empty stomach. I’m know worried about taking them & wondering if anyone has taken them recently & how they felt after taking them?
Thanks

Hi, don’t worry, I take 1 a day, used to take 2 a day. People told me they would make me constipated but they didn’t, as long a you get your fluids in. They give you black poo and break wind more so I just take it in the evening. The poo colour is no concern. Honestly you’ll be fine. Take with vitamin c like orange juice to enhance absorption. Don’t take with caffeine or calcium containing foods as they inhibit absorption. X

Shorty Pants

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 10:08:19 PM »

If you find you can't tolerate this form of iron, try Solgar Gentle Iron. This is much easier on your tummy. The capsules are 20mg, which is the amount of elemental iron in them. There's around 70mg of elemental iron in the ones you were prescribed, so you'd need to take 3-4 for the same equivalent.

Gillydlf

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 10:34:16 PM »

Thank you  Katherine & Shorty Pants  for your replies . I’m going to try the ones my gp prescribed but if I do get any side effects I will look at the Solgar ones😀thanks for info

Bungo

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 09:48:46 AM »

When he say to take before for, how long before eating? And how long after eating?

Katherine

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 07:00:45 PM »

For iron I think You take 2 hours after eating and 1 hour before eating.

Bungo

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 05:41:23 PM »

For iron I think You take 2 hours after eating and 1 hour before eating.
Thanks Katherine, would a little milk in coffee or tea  be ok I Wonder?

CarryB75

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2024, 11:08:09 AM »

I take 1 ferrous Fumerate 210mg everyday of my life with my main meal evening meal (with big glass of orange juice to aid absorption) they help me tremendously, no side effects, couldn’t be without them! ☺️

Gillydlf

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024, 08:43:26 PM »

I feel more comfortable taking the tablets now after all the positive replies. I think the Pharmacist really put me off😩