Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Why am I on continuous HRT?  (Read 1070 times)

Alicea

• First Flush
Why am I on continuous HRT?
« on: January 03, 2024, 02:06:04 PM »

Hi knowledgeable people!
Was a member of MM a few years ago and have returned. Good to be back  :)

I’m finally on HRT, still having (irregular) periods and have been put on continuous HRT.

I have Evorel 50 patches and take 100 mg Utrogestan every night.

My questions are: should I be having a break every month, and can I do this myself at these dosages? I was prescribed by a women’s clinic but they’re now running 4-5 months behind thanks to losing funding.

Thanks!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Why am I on continuous HRT?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 02:24:13 PM »

Hi! who were you previously  ;)

Who referred U to the Clinic?  Is there a GP with an interest in womens health or a Nurse Practitioner with whom you could discuss the last 12 months for example?  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use. 

Could you ring the Clinic and ask some1 to check your notes, also was a report sent. to your GP after your appt. as they will prescribe what has been recommended?

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 02:39:12 PM »

At this point you can probably choose. The normal advice is that you should be meno (1 year without a bleed) before you go on conti. Some women go on conti before this, some have breakthrough bleeding, others find they're far enough into meno they don't bleed. Personally I'd start with a sequi regime, it has the advantage that if you have problems you know which is causing them, it's usually the progestin. Some people love utro because it helps them sleep so prefer the conti regime (it makes mine worse). Another option is to take utro 25 days out of 28. It can be useful in late meno as it allows a bleed if there's been a build up.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 02:49:39 PM »

:thankyou:

Alicea

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 04:17:52 PM »

Ah thanks both! I might well try missing out those 3 days utrogestan, I’m in a state of perma-PMT as well so feel like I need a bleed.

I can’t for the life of me remember the ID I was using before, tried everything I could think of and had to make a new profile 🤣

Katherine

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 06:26:03 PM »

Ah thanks both! I might well try missing out those 3 days utrogestan, I’m in a state of perma-PMT as well so feel like I need a bleed.

I can’t for the life of me remember the ID I was using before, tried everything I could think of and had to make a new profile 🤣

Hi I have been on continuous utrogestan since age 45, my gp recommended it as she says it helps you sleep. You can have a 3 day break each month but if I miss a night I can’t sleep. X

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 06:34:25 PM »

I am still in peri and on sequential hrt. I missed my withdrawal bleed for the first time last month due to messing around with my estrogen dose. The floodgates opened this month and I felt such a feeling of physical relief upon getting the bleed. I have been just over a year on hrt but I defo wouldn't want to stop having that feeling of release from getting a bleed just yet.

Katherine

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 06:41:22 PM »

Continuous utrogestan didn’t alter my periods at all. I have regular monthly bleeds still. My gp said I would still bleed monthly and I do.

Hope you’re doing ok Penguin. Xxx

Alicea

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 02:06:08 AM »

Thanks again everyone! It’s great to have your experiences, definitely feeling like I’ve been abandoned by the meno clinic even if it is temporary.

Alice x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 10:56:19 AM »

MayB ring them to ask if they have sent a letter to your GP?

Alicea

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 01:05:57 AM »

MayB ring them to ask if they have sent a letter to your GP?
Thanks  - they definitely haven’t been in touch with GP. When I rang them they said get your GP to prescribe it. GP then said they needed it in writing but after some umming and aahing they just got me to bring the meds in to show them and luckily gave me a repeat. Bit of a shambles.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 10:06:31 AM »

As well as being unethical.  A Consultant should always let the patient's GP know what is suggested, regardless of which speciality!  Years ago a Consultant would't accept a self referral, even in Harley Street, because patients often forget their overall health records. 

With a GP backup there is less likelyhood of mistakes being made. 

How R U this morning?

Alicea

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 07:31:59 PM »

Thanks CLKD 😊 feeling a bit more human now!

Had a few days break from the progesterone and having a bleed. Yay!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 08:35:09 PM »

:ola: ......