Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan virginally  (Read 800 times)

Michelleburl

• First Flush
Utrogestan virginally
« on: December 16, 2023, 07:04:10 AM »

Hi, I’ve been inserting Utrogestan 100mg virginally everyday for just over a month, because I now know I’m progesterone sensitive. Recently I’ve had period like pain and a heavy period. Is that normal when taking this oral medication virginally? I’m post menopausal and haven’t had a period in over 10yrs! If that’s gonna happen regularly then, no thanks to that route😞I Spoke to a GP who wasn’t my reg GP and he said he didn’t even know you could take Utrogestan that way and who told me to do it? I told him Dr Miles & Dr Henderson advised me I could try that method as they’ve have extra training in menopause and women’s health! He suggested the coil, which I don’t want and when I said about the virginal progesterone he said he could prescribe it but didn’t know whether I’d be able to get a hold of it anywhere.  He told me to give it another month, see if things settle down and then speak to Dr M or Dr H in the new year. Because of the period I’m taking Utrogestan orally again, I can already feel very moody, anxious. It’s a bloody nightmare😒

sheila99

Re: Utrogestan virginally
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 09:43:06 AM »

If you have fewer side effects taking it vaginally I would carry on that way. Bleeding in the first 3-6 months of any new conti regime can be expected but it should settle. Utro isn't licensed for use for hrt vaginally in the UK but it is in the rest of Europe. It's the same capsule.

Michelleburl

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 09:42:22 PM »

Ok, thanks Sheila. Yes, I notice I am less moody, less anxious taking virginally. I noticed every 4-6 months I was getting serious depression/anxiety (suicidal) episode’s taking it orally, I just can’t carry on going through that because I was having to take time off work and it was putting strain on my marriage and other family relationships. Hopefully the bleeding will settle down so I’ll persevere with that route.

Blythe

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 07:42:34 AM »

Hi. I also started taking it vaginally some months ago. It is messy but avoids those days where I feel like cutting my wrists and thinking awful thoughts. I only have it days 14 onwards for a few days (10 at an absolute stretch as even taking it this way it still has an effect just not as bad as orally). Anyway, for three months now I have a started bleeding heavily by day 14 so do not take it at all.  I know I should buy clearly my uterine lining is not building up because all I do nowadays is bloody well bleed!! Not sure what to do - maybe need to up or reduce my estrgel and start the progesterone vaginally from CD10 instead to take back control.

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 09:21:40 AM »

I tried taking utrogestan vaginally to try to avoid being suddenly thrown into a suicidal state, I found it the best one I've been allowed (better than norethisterone, cyclogest, levenorgesterol or provera, in order from least bad to absolutely the worst there).

The problem is this, the irritation from inserting utrogestan vaginally is another side effect I just can't tolerate, it drives me crazy all that itching!
I tried rectally, a bit better but such a faff when only the first box came with applicators and I'm not reusing rectally, I mean come on, no way would a man have to wash shit off a stick every day to reuse it on the next.

I've got oestrogel now and it works, so I revisited the progesterones just in case they are better than they used to be, as my GP is convinced of. I honestly think the woman believes I don't know what I'm talking about, the feeling is entirely mutual.

Yesterday I forgot to take my oestrogel (3 pumps) had the best time last night under the covers with hubbie, these products kill my libido, so was good to feel some back,  ;).

Long story short is I'm giving up oestrogel because while it's good, I survived peri plus the first couple of years postmeno before finally being allowed it for a trial this year. It's not worth the progestogen side effect of going from a normal and happy life to suddenly suicidal and listing to myself the reasons I must not slit my wrists or hang myself from the door. I'm afraid it could happen, I can be impulsive under that progestogen influence. I think the reason my GP dismisses the threat of suicide as not a risk they need to consider is because that would be my doing not theirs, y'know?

Refreshing to see a thread where it's not being tidily brushed under the rug. We will not be the only ones, but we get shut up and shut down quickly for speaking the truth (to egos with a little power).

Firebearer

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 04:38:15 PM »

Hi there, I experienced heavy bleeding when using utrogestan vaginally. As I'm post menopausal I found it alarming. Switched back to taking it orally but will probably have a mirena coil fitted as I don't tolerate the utrogestan particularly well.