Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy - is their hope?  (Read 18064 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal Atrophy - is their hope?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2023, 05:58:03 PM »

Show me exactly where perhaps 🤔 tnx.  I've read back through threads and can't see that I ever 'quote' any1 .........

And it is absolutely fine 4 any1 to trust a medical professional as well as reading experiences from Members here to see whether they apply now or might do future or can be discarded. 

Is any1 else aware that I might be 'quoting' here ?  I don't know how to use the 'quote' facility on the Forum  :-\
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 06:04:43 PM by CLKD »

Bella247

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2023, 07:49:27 PM »

The gynaecologist told me it’s fine to use every other day on my vulva. She said there is no systemic absorption by applying it to the vulva (which is where I suffer the most).

When I first started using oestrogen cream the leaflet terrified the life out of me (I have health anxiety and it wasn’t what I wanted to read). Apparently the leaflet is based on out of date info (very annoying and no doubt this wouldn’t be the case if it were something men had to spread on their privates).

I don’t think I will ever get over the lack of education medical professionals undergo about the menopause when it’s something that potentially affects 50% of the population and can cause such absolute misery. I really hope this changes.

suzysunday

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2023, 09:47:10 PM »

I agree.  I had no knowledge about atrophy until it hit me.  I had been to my gp (female) about issues that should have alerted her to it but I was never given any help until much later when it had got worse.   It's bloody annoying.  It is under control now but it is a distressing condition.

Ayesha

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2023, 10:40:30 PM »

Its incredible that its not considered when you present yourself at the surgery with the most awful symptoms. I had fungal cream prescribed, 3 courses of antibiotics, phone call from the nurse asking me how I was because my urine sample was clear, when I told her I was still burning like hell, she hadn't a clue what was wrong with me, how worrying is that. Medics still think it has got to be a bladder infection, its no wonder most of us have never heard of the term Vaginal Atrophy and it still comes as a great shock to women now.

When I got to the stage I couldn't sit down and in a dreadful state, the GP examined me and said you need oestrogen down there, that's all she said, no mention of the words Vaginal Atrophy, this should never be happening in this day and age.

They say don't Google anything, if I hadn't I would never have known what I was suffering from, I learned all I know about VA from the internet.

suzysunday

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2023, 11:04:04 PM »

Yes pretty much the same for me.  I cried a lot when I read about it,  the implications of it were horrendous and it made me feel embarrassed and ashamed.  Things are better now but it's always a worry, will I always be able to control it.  This forum has been a lifesaver for me in so many ways.

Jules

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2023, 11:32:08 PM »

As well as 'those medically qualified' often no nowt about appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment.

I don't want to continue this but you  have repeated in inverted commas parts of my posts. It comes across as sarcasm.  You can just state your view. I will understand
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 01:18:39 AM by Jules »

Jules

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2023, 11:40:20 PM »

The gynaecologist told me it’s fine to use every other day on my vulva. She said there is no systemic absorption by applying it to the vulva (which is where I suffer the most).

When I first started using oestrogen cream the leaflet terrified the life out of me (I have health anxiety and it wasn’t what I wanted to read). Apparently the leaflet is based on out of date info (very annoying and no doubt this wouldn’t be the case if it were something men had to spread on their privates).

I don’t think I will ever get over the lack of education medical professionals undergo about the menopause when it’s something that potentially affects 50% of the population and can cause such absolute misery. I really hope this changes.

Did she say its fine to use every other day because that's all you need or was she stating a recommended dose?
I had no idea either about my condition either though I knew from other women that UTIs were common. The biggest shock was the vulval atrophy. I had no idea that change could happen. It was a GP who told me after an exam, she has subsequently phoned me to answer more questions. She told me I can use vagifem every night and ovestin sparsely but after hearing Ayesha,  I upped the ovestin to nightly and the amount I need. There are 3 GPs at my surgery who are great. One tells me her stuff too. Other than this forum, I've not googled because I always find the worse case scenario
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 01:16:29 AM by Jules »

KaraShannon

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2023, 01:59:01 AM »

I struggle with vaginal / vulval estradiol more than the patches.  I get migraine and ringing in the ears when using it.  It's not supposed to go into the system but some must do, probably not enough to be worrying about, but I definitely get this reaction, every time.

It's a pain, and I'm avoiding it because of it.  As well as migraine / tinnitus / I get weird feelings in my chest linked to postural hypotension, but only in response to vaginal estradiol.  I've tested this a number of times now.  I need to get my estradiol levels checked as they were way too high at the middle of last year, and I'm hoping that once they are down to what's considered a normal healthy level for my age, maybe then I will tolerate the vaginal estradiol, but when I first started it in 2020 I had sensitivity to noise and ringing in the ears as well, though not as bad as now.

Minusminnie

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2023, 06:41:41 AM »

Did she say its fine to use every other day because that's all you need or was she stating a recommended dose?
I had no idea either about my condition either though I knew from other women that UTIs were common. The biggest shock was the vulval atrophy. I had no idea that change could happen. It was a GP who told me after an exam, she has subsequently phoned me to answer more questions. She told me I can use vagifem every night and ovestin sparsely but after hearing Ayesha,  I upped the ovestin to nightly and the amount I need. There are 3 GPs at my surgery who are great. One tells me her stuff too. Other than this forum, I've not googled because I always find the worse case scenario

The old vagifem was 25mcg 2 week loading dose followed by twice a week.  Therefore a much larger loading dose followed by 50mcg a week.  Many women were doing well on that and the change to 10mcg vagifem (where we seemed to follow the americans) was not welcome.

I think you are using 3 or 4 vagifem a week Jules so roughly 40mcg a week with some ovestin on the vulva which is a weaker estriol oestrogen anyway.   

« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 06:48:15 AM by Minusminnie »

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2023, 09:05:04 AM »

:thankyou:  Jules - now I understand.  Call me 'slow' etc.  ::).

sfreesto .......... what did U decide about treatment ? 

Jules

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2023, 10:08:34 AM »

Karashannon, I also got symptoms when I started using it. I had period type pain and breast pain so stopped twice. So obviously it gets into the system. I'm okay now but get the odd bout still. The nightly ovestin seems to only be keeping things at bay, I'm not sure it will make much difference to the existing atrophy

sfreesto

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2023, 01:37:23 PM »

:thankyou:  Jules - now I understand.  Call me 'slow' etc.  ::).

sfreesto .......... what did U decide about treatment ?

Hi CLKD, well I managed to get a young out of hours GP to prescribe me Intrarosa (I was interested because of the DHEA - I used to work in a reproductive biology lab 20+ years ago so I’m not exactly a lay person) and Ovestin for external use. I also have a follow up appointment next week with a menopause GP to examine me and to discuss further options. Something seems to trigger when I switched by systemic HRT from Femoston 2/10 to Oestrogel plus Utrogestin. Coincidentally I’m sure I seem to be coming out the other side of the flare now so I’m feeling better. I will come back and let you know what the menopause GP says to me.

Thanks for your support

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2023, 03:42:18 PM »

sfressto : Let us know how you get on.  IF oestrogen levels have been altered by HRT and the regime is altered, it may a natural co-incidence that VA symptoms began. 

kathryn22

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2023, 09:08:04 PM »

Hi sfressto
OMG its so awful isn’t it, I was diagnosed a couple of months ago and when I realised what it was and that there was no real magic cure, I could quite happily have crawled into a hole and never come out. My GP is not that good and basically is bored with it now, says it’s just a thing some women have to live with.. delightfully unhelpful so I’m pinning my hopes on a private gynaecologist being a bit more helpful, seeing him in the new year(also about a double prolapse!!) But although things are far from being under control, I do get the occasional good day or two now when things feel normal and I can get on with things. So keep focused on the fact that good days do happen and enjoy them. This forum is an amazing support. Just knowing that you’re not alone in this awful place helps. Even in the darkest days, when I’m down and tearful and ready to throw in the towel,I can spend a little while on here and realise that quitting isn’t an option because at least a few good days now and then is more than some others seem to have. And I really think the more noise we make the better things will get.

suzysunday

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2023, 09:25:08 PM »

I know what you mean kathryn 22, it's really tough to face up to.  But you can get on top of it, still enjoy sex, feel comfortable, be it does take time.  I was devastated when I read up about it and that it's for life is psychologically hard to take.  I feel the same about this forum ! 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12