Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy - is their hope?  (Read 18067 times)

sfreesto

Vaginal Atrophy - is their hope?
« on: December 28, 2023, 06:04:35 AM »

Good morning ladies,

I’d love to hear if anyone can share some good news stories about vaginal atrophy/GSM please? Has anyone found treatment that has enabled them to be pain free and have a normal functioning (even have sex!) vagina, vulva and urinary tract? Please share - it is a dark and lonely place.

Bella247

Re: Vaginal Atrophy - is their hope?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 07:22:11 AM »

Hi there
Firstly I want to send you some love because I know how utterly miserable this is.
Ive been struggling with this for a while. I recently had a horrible flare up and I couldn’t think of anything else so I wanted to let you know that you’re not alone.
Here’s some things that have helped me l
1. I only use bleach free toilet roll and sanitary towels.
2. I only wash down there with aqueous cream.
3. I use dove scent free shower gel on the rest of my body and never let that near my vagina.
4. I wash my hair over the bath and only ever have a shower no baths
5. Every time I go to the loo I pat gently never wipe and apply v magic organic cream or olive and bee
6. I only wear white cotton knickers which I wash separately from my other washing using M&S fragrance free liquid, no fabric softener.
7. Vaginal oestrogen - I’ve tried estriol cream and Vagirux. Vagirux was the worst for me as it did nothing to help the vulva which is where I feel it most. Estriol seemed to work for a while but then seemed to stop working. I persuaded my GP to prescribe Ovestin despite her claiming “it’s the same thing as estriol” (I knew from a lovely lady on here that it’s a different concentrate) and I use that twice a week internally and on the vulva and also every other day on the vulva.
Tbh my GP (supposedly has an interest in women’s health) has been quite unsympathetic and useless which has really added to the stress and upset.
I had sex for the first time in ages (as in I can’t even remember when last this happened) on Saturday and it was fine.
I really want you to know that there is hope and you are not alone.
I bought a book called me and my menopausal vagina and read up loads which I felt was useful x

sfreesto

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 09:59:32 AM »

Hello Bella247,

Thank you for your kind words and helpful advice. I’m with you that the vulva part is the worst bit, and very hard to describe how it makes you feel to someone who hasn’t been there.

I had my first flare 8 months ago and was given Imvaggis on top of the systemic HRT I was already taking. I was lucky and was fine and flare free until 8 weeks ago (no lifestyle changes required at all) when I changed my systemic HRT to topical - I’ve been a train wreck since then. I’ve just been prescribed Interosa plus Ovestin by GP (tip: send an online form into to GP in holiday time and they prescribe anything you ask for ;)) so I’m hoping this helps.

Anyone out there had a good experience with Interosa? I listened to a couple of podcasts with Louise Newson and a urogynaecologist who seemed to suggest that this could be better for addressing the urinary systems as well as vaginal.

Best wishes

Jules

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 10:03:58 AM »

I've used all brands, vagifem, vagurux and estriodol and they've been fine. Now on alternate nights. I use ovestin externally nightly and that's just starting to have effect on the changes that happened.  I was fine having sex but not sexually active at present so don't know.  I've no problems with pain etc. I did used to get UTIs after sex and sometimes feeling I had UTI when it wasn't.  I've not had that since I uppped the dosage.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 10:19:01 AM »

Morning.

Do read 'the bladder issues' and any threads on vaginal atrophy.  Make notes!

The condition is usually the result of receding oestrogen in the body.  Appropriate treatment : 'vagifem', 'ovestin' and a good moisturisers can ease symptoms.  The idea is to insert into the vagina the oestrogen every night for 2-3 weeks.  Some ladies need nightly applications there after, others can reduce to every 3rd and 5/6th. nights.  Getting the condition under control is essential.

When I feel the need2P I swallow 2 Nurofen 3 times a day to ease the nipping sensation as the urine flow shuts off.  I have used 'ovestin' successfully for many years.

Vaginal atrophy mimic repeated bladder infection-type symptoms really really well.  A dip stick urine test in the surgery doesn't show much, a urine sample must be sent to a Lab to check that there is infection.  Antibiotic therapy can help short term.

Let us know how you get on.  U don't need a blood test or an examiantnio to get treatment for this condition.

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 11:03:51 AM »

Yes, there is hope as long as you don’t shy away from using the appropriate VA treatment. Its for life but if used in the amount required for you, you will get back to what was normal before the degeneration of the vagina started to occur. I will add though its a different outcome for ladies who suffer other conditions of the vagina, the journey is more difficult for them.

I loved my perfumed baths, hate showers, that alone makes the condition worse as another bit of your life disappears with age, but two years on from being a chronic case I can now have Epsom salt baths occasionally with added essential oils, but that really is just a treat!

I have to use daily treatment of Vagifem, Ovestin and moisturiser and bath every day using non soap products and Aqueous cream down below, this regime has made my life normal again, so there is hope!

Bella247

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 11:04:34 AM »

Hello Bella247,

Thank you for your kind words and helpful advice. I’m with you that the vulva part is the worst bit, and very hard to describe how it makes you feel to someone who hasn’t been there.

I had my first flare 8 months ago and was given Imvaggis on top of the systemic HRT I was already taking. I was lucky and was fine and flare free until 8 weeks ago (no lifestyle changes required at all) when I changed my systemic HRT to topical - I’ve been a train wreck since then. I’ve just been prescribed Interosa plus Ovestin by GP (tip: send an online form into to GP in holiday time and they prescribe anything you ask for ;)) so I’m hoping this helps.

Anyone out there had a good experience with Interosa? I listened to a couple of podcasts with Louise Newson and a urogynaecologist who seemed to suggest that this could be better for addressing the urinary systems as well as vaginal.

Best wishes

You’re so welcome. It’s a horrible place to be. Having VA has such an impact on your life. I don’t even think I could imagine how much if I hadn’t experienced it myself.

It sounds weird but feeling uncomfy down there (which I hadn’t felt before) just felt like a physical reminder of getting older which I found really hard to get my head around as well as the discomfort.

It also really doesn’t help that most GPs have an insane lack of knowledge about this. The supposed women’s health GP at my practice said things to me that I know from my own reading aren’t right.

She called in another GP for a second opinion on my vagina which just depressed me and made me feel like nobody knows what they are doing.

I do think the v magic after the loo helps a lot. It’s annoying as it’s bloody expensive but a little tin still lasts a couple of months. There’s olive and bee too but I prefer the v magic. I would definitely recommend giving that a go and please know you’re not alone

sfreesto

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 05:28:56 PM »

Thanks to all of you that have replied. It is so good to hear that this condition is not just a downward spiral! I go on with hope. Thanks ladies, wishing you all comfort and happiness 😊

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 06:06:34 PM »

Let us know how you get on?

The sooner that you begin appropriate treatment and get into a regime, the better your vulva and vagina will feel.

Bella247

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2023, 06:41:09 PM »

Ah no worries. Yes let us know how you get on and I hope you can take away from this that there is hope. I felt like there was none at all a few months ago so I understand just how you feel xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2023, 08:01:36 PM »

Oh and yes there is HOPE!

sfreesto

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2023, 08:29:44 PM »

I will certainly let you know how I get on - thank you.

Another question- what do you do about vaginal oestrogen when you’re on your period? There is nothing I could find about this because the treatments are not targeted for those in peri.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2023, 09:15:11 PM »

I started with VA when I was 48 and peri stage. It was horrendous, I couldn't sleep, walk or sit because of the discomfort. I struggled for a year to get the right treatment as kept getting told it was thrush and that you couldn't get VA until 2 years post meno. What a load of nonsense!

I managed to eventually get the right treatment and am on systemic HRT, Vagifem and Ovestin cream just for the VA. Apart from the odd flare up I can now live a normal life. As for sex, this week has been good ;) 

I just carried on with the Vagifem during my period.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 09:18:24 PM by Tinkerbell »

Jules

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2023, 09:50:11 PM »

My friend has just told me she's been prescribed ovestin for external use twice weekly. She has atrophy and cracking of the skin. Is my nightly use dangerous? Such was the atrophy, the twice weekly wasn't enough

Joaniepat

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2023, 09:55:49 PM »

No Jules, there is no danger from nightly use of Ovestin. You can use the pessaries and the cream every night if that's what it takes. (Many women are underdosed when it comes to local oestrogen.)
JP x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12