Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy - is their hope?  (Read 18070 times)

Minusminnie

Re: Vaginal Atrophy - is their hope?
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2024, 01:49:56 PM »

There is this short thread where a member called Psychosocial mentions vulva soreness from the discharge.  You could try messaging this member who is still active to ask for any possible update which might help you.

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,57345.msg811247.html#msg811247

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2024, 02:41:52 PM »

U can slar 'ovestin' around the outer labia as well as using internally.  Some find 'yes' or 'sylc' products ease symptoms. 

sfreesto

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2024, 03:03:10 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions ladies. I already use Ovestin externally and I’ve tried various brands and regimes of moisturiser. I occasionally get a day of comfort but I haven’t managed to correlate that with anything in particular. I do feel like it is something to do with the discharge - I’ve had some swabs recently and they came back normal. Maybe a barrier cream would help - anyone tried that? Xx

CLKD

« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2024, 03:19:48 PM »

It mayB that the discharge - the vagina cleanses itself - may be drying on your skin = soreness.  I don't suffer any discharge from either KY Jelly nor 'ovestin'.  I also don't wipe myself too much, rather a patting action to dry off.

Ayesha

« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2024, 03:41:10 PM »

I remember ending up very sore after long walks wearing jeans and I found Sudacrem healed the area very quickly, its very thick but it worked for me. Zinc & castor oil cream I also find helpful. 

CLKD

« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2024, 03:42:50 PM »

That reminds me: grandma always used zinc and caster oil, it came in a flat green tin. 

Minusminnie

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2024, 06:55:54 AM »

Thanks for your suggestions ladies. I already use Ovestin externally and I’ve tried various brands and regimes of moisturiser. I occasionally get a day of comfort but I haven’t managed to correlate that with anything in particular. I do feel like it is something to do with the discharge - I’ve had some swabs recently and they came back normal. Maybe a barrier cream would help - anyone tried that? Xx

I'm trying Aproderm barrier cream currently and you have to be careful that anything like that in itself isn't causing irritation.

Can you correlate bad days with strength of urine or what may be coming out in urine first thing in the morning depending on what you have consumed the day before ? you did mention that the vulva can be worse first thing then fade off during the day.
I now try to avoid coffee, tea, spicy food and tomatoes because of tannins, acids etc.  I do have occasional weak coffee and types of coffees vary.

sfreesto

« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2024, 07:25:54 PM »

Good evening,

Yesterday I tried sudocreme but found it couldn’t apply it to the sore bits because they weren’t dry enough. I’ve also tried Metanium and that seemed ok for a day but then next day it wasn’t. I tried Apoderm today and it burned and now this evening I seem worse again. I’ve also tried Olive and Bee, YES, Dermovate, MultiGyn Actigel, Replens MD. I am now wondering whether to just use nothing for a few days and walk round in a skirt with no underwear to give it all a chance to dry out.

For me this is the first time I’ve had a flare and these vulval symptoms have persisted for more than a few days. I have been like this since 21 Dec.

Xx

CLKD

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2024, 07:31:10 PM »

I don't understand what needs to 'dry' ........ vaginal discharge is normal.  A loss of oestrogen may make the vaginal skin thin, itchy, sore .......... KY Jelly or something that would be suitable for a baby skin.  Going without undies may well help, give it a try? 

Minusminnie

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2024, 07:51:16 PM »

I think it is more to do with the extra discharge associated with using intrasrosa.

sfreesto
Could use of Intrarosa with ovestin externally possibly just not be a good mix causing the soreness ? might mean stopping one or the other to assess that.

Patchsmama

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2024, 11:41:38 AM »

Back again …..  after having VA symptoms like I had 4 years ago, before I started Vagifem, I saw the GP who said to use it daily for two weeks and use moisturiser. I did this and used Yes VM twice daily (was that too much?  All I could find were instructions saying it could last up to 3 days).

After no real improvement I spoke with a different GP and asked about oestrogen gel to use externally as that’s where the discomfort seems to mainly be, along with increased awareness of needing the loo. She said to take in a urine for testing and gave me antibiotics for three days.  I checked my notes and the urine dipstick wasn’t sent off so I’m assuming it was fine.  She said if there was no improvement to contact again and she would prescribe gel but not to use it with the Vagifem 🙄. Obviously the ladies on here say differently.

I’ve still had no real improvement. I stopped using the Yes yesterday in case it was irritating.  I struggle with health anxiety and am now getting a bit stressed about it all. I know this probably doesn’t help.

If any ladies have any words of wisdom, I’m much appreciate it. I probably need to stop thinking about it so much too!!! 😔

Ayesha

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2024, 11:59:48 AM »

My only words of wisdom to you is to use Vagifem every day with an oestrogen cream like Ovestin to be used daily, just a pea sized amount should be enough, until you feel better and when you feel its time to reduce the dose then do so. You can use as much moisturiser as you want, its just a natural product and will do no harm. 

I don't understand the advice to not use oestrogen gel with vagifem but I only have experience with ovestin cream which can be safely used together.

CLKD

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2024, 01:55:57 PM »

GPs are so worried that we might 'overdose' if we use both products  >:(  :beat:  4getting that we are replacing oestrogen to make the vulva/vagina comfortable.

Patchsmama - did U use the ABs, dip stick in surgery doesn't show much at all.  Urine samples MUST be sent to a Lab B4 ABs are prescribed.  Overuse of ABs is a world wide problem and it's time that the medical profession stopped prescribing although 4 me, ABs did ease those initial symptoms.  The advice that GPs should be giving is to use the VA treatment every night. 

Ask your GP what she is basing her advice on?  She may like to read our various 'bladder issues' as well as the VA threads on here  ::)

Some find that 'yes' or 'sylc' products help or using 'vagifem' internally with 'ovestin' on the labial area. 

... and breath ;-).

Patchsmama

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2024, 02:00:36 PM »

My only words of wisdom to you is to use Vagifem every day with an oestrogen cream like Ovestin to be used daily, just a pea sized amount should be enough, until you feel better and when you feel its time to reduce the dose then do so. You can use as much moisturiser as you want, its just a natural product and will do no harm. 

I don't understand the advice to not use oestrogen gel with vagifem but I only have experience with ovestin cream which can be safely used together.

Thank you Ayesha
I’m going to contact them tomorrow and try again. I think they’ll be fed up of me soon. I’ll try asking for Ovestin by name.  The symptoms are exactly the same as I had pre-Vagifem   

Patchsmama

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2024, 02:04:11 PM »

GPs are so worried that we might 'overdose' if we use both products  >:(  :beat:  4getting that we are replacing oestrogen to make the vulva/vagina comfortable.

Patchsmama - did U use the ABs, dip stick in surgery doesn't show much at all.  Urine samples MUST be sent to a Lab B4 ABs are prescribed.  Overuse of ABs is a world wide problem and it's time that the medical profession stopped prescribing although 4 me, ABs did ease those initial symptoms.  The advice that GPs should be giving is to use the VA treatment every night. 

Ask your GP what she is basing her advice on?  She may like to read our various 'bladder issues' as well as the VA threads on here  ::)

Some find that 'yes' or 'sylc' products help or using 'vagifem' internally with 'ovestin' on the labial area. 

... and breath ;-).

Thanks CLKD.  Our surgery is a nightmare re urine tests.  Previously, pre-Vagifem, thru said nothing on dipstick, didn’t send off the sample but by evening I was in agony needing antibiotics.

I’ll definitely challenge her on where she is getting her evidence for her advice from.  It’s poor isn’t it,  we shouldn’t have to do this and it causes even more stress. 😔
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12