Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting a flare up  (Read 2621 times)

Midnight Shadow

Starting a flare up
« on: December 24, 2023, 07:21:10 AM »

Just when I thought I was turning a corner, no burning/ aching yesterday and improving each day so relieved. Well last night couldn’t sleep as I can only describe my symptoms as having a flare up. I wondered whether it was from me eating some baked beans.Maybe from the sauce as I know tomatoes can exacerbate a flare up.  Has this happened to anyone else? I seemed to think this happened in my early days of Atrophy. Will check my old diaries. Taking a swab in to surgery on Wednesday to check my thrush situation. Praying to God that has cleared with the Boric Pessaries. If it’s not one thing it’s another. I will use a little estriol cream today and then stop for two days because I don’t want it to interfere with the swab. Replies appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 07:53:25 AM by Midnight Shadow »

Minusminnie

Re: Starting a flare up
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 07:42:34 AM »

Just wondering why you are attributing a flare up with baked beans.  Is it the tomato sauce that they are in ? 
I find that i have to be careful with tomatoes and coffee.  I like to have an occasional coffee as it perks me up but now choose what type i have as they are different and at what strength usually pretty weak.  Spicy food is another i avoid.  It is what might be coming out in urine on to the vulva for me.

I do hope that it is not the thrush again.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 07:46:56 AM »

Sorry Ladies, am I reading this correctly - are you saying that coffee and/or tomatoes can irritate / can a VA flare up in some way? Is it because the waste excreted irritates the bladder/ urethra?
Thanks

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 07:56:15 AM »

Thanks for responding ladies. Yes, I do believe some foods can aggravate Atrophy and cause burning especially spicy foods which I try to avoid. Thought it might have been the sauce in the beans.

Minusminnie

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 08:09:01 AM »

Sorry Ladies, am I reading this correctly - are you saying that coffee and/or tomatoes can irritate / can a VA flare up in some way? Is it because the waste excreted irritates the bladder/ urethra?
Thanks

Consultant advised me to avoid coffee, tomatoes and spicy food.  Think it is acids and tannins coming out in urine.  Tannins are in tea as well.  I do drink occasional very diluted chai tea.  Curry is now a mild korma.
Most of my problem is vulva related and yes i notice it if i overdo eg coffee and have to pull back.
I probably should give it all up but can usually judge now.

Minusminnie

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 08:21:25 AM »

Thought it might have been the sauce in the beans.

I eat Branstons very rarely usually remains in saucepan that grandchildren haven't had but can't say i've noticed a difference after. 

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2023, 08:32:24 AM »

Thanks, this explains a lot. I have increased both my coffee intake and acidic foods since holiday season has started and I think this could have impacted me and my sensitive bits too! Either that or the vaginal utrogestan. Feel like I am chasing my tail sometimes, trying to work out what is causing what!

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 10:04:16 AM »

Hello ladies.

Fortunately for me I don't suffer with UTIs and the two pumps of Oestrogel I use daily seem enough to keep VA away although I do notice some dryness sometimes. Since being post meno I have eaten a plant based diet and I consume a lot of beans, spices and tomatoes etc all without ill effect.

I am posting because I wonder if you are eating animal products, especially chicken with your beans and spices etc and it is the bacteria in these products that is making it's way to your vagina and bladder?

I have previously posted about some research that proved a link with chicken consumption and UTIs so I won't repeat it again but I thought it was worth a mention.

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 10:10:36 AM »

Your urine is probably too 'thick' if foods irritate the atrophy  :-\.  Make sure that your urine is straw coloured and that you wipe front to back as germs in the bowel ca be spread into the vulval area.

I would think that more treatment would ease symptoms.  Every night for at least 2-3 weeks, if necessary an extra load mid morning.  Would a swab result be returned over the Festive Period anyway?

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2023, 02:13:25 PM »

Thanks CKLD yes, trying to drink more today. Once sample is taken to the Doctors I am going to use estriol cream more frequently. Like you say, I think it will help to ease symptoms. Thank you for responding. Have a nice Christmas.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2023, 03:34:34 PM »

tnx.  Get that product up there more often ...........  ;)

suzysunday

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2023, 03:58:39 PM »

Red wine or strong alcohol or hot curry used to/can cause flare ups with me, especially before I got it under control.

Minusminnie

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2023, 04:38:20 PM »

Red wine or strong alcohol or hot curry used to/can cause flare ups with me, especially before I got it under control.

I find small cider can be okay but then again depends which one.  Hot curry a complete no no.

Penguin

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 06:35:11 PM »

Oh god, hadn't thought of alcohol and here I am sat with a glass of red in my hand 🙈

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2023, 07:22:13 PM »

Thank you for all your replies. Haven’t been so bad today, so hoping I can sleep tonight. Let’s hope we can all have a lovely Christmas Day. Take care everyone.
Pages: [1] 2