Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem, Lichen Sclerosis, Vaginal Atrohpy and spotting  (Read 1005 times)

Talli

Vagifem, Lichen Sclerosis, Vaginal Atrohpy and spotting
« on: December 21, 2023, 01:31:14 PM »

Hello everyone.
I have a question.
I’m on Vagifem every night and I’m wondering if it has the capacity to thicken the endometrial wall?
I’ve been on it for about 2 years and since the last 6 months I’ve been experiencing a bit of brown spotting mixed in with discharge (sorry tmi) about 4 days after my period has finished and during mid cycle.
I also feel as though my abdomen looks bloated although hubby says no 😅
Should I be worried?????
I’m 40 years old, not on any other HRT and still have fairly regular periods although they are getting longer and lighter.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I have health anxiety and this is freaking me out.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 02:43:25 PM by Talli »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem and spotting
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 01:46:54 PM »

I wouldn't be worried at all.  4 me, brown discharge was 'normal'.  I would bleed heavily for 8-10 days, then have a gap of 2 followed by a brown discharge - old blood that hadn't been pushed through by the hormones involved.

If in the New Year you remain concerned, make an appt with your Nurse Practitioner so that she can have a lookC.  Have the VA symptoms been eased?

Talli

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 01:55:00 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply!
Thank you for asking about the VA. So much has been going on with the VA… ::)
I have burnt out Lichen Sclerosis too which has fused parts of my bits together and that’s all flared up.
I tried dropping back to two Vagifem a week…BIG mistake! Literally couldn’t pee! Sat on toilet rocking backwards and forwards in tears :/
Went to dr no uti, a bit hopeless tbh.
Went again the next week as was so bad and dr gave me Betnovate RD cream and said I had bad vaginitis.
I’d been begging for a steroid cream for months but they wouldn’t give it to me. Anyway…I now have referral to dermatology pending, an app in April 2024 to see gynae 😬
Honestly…I’m so over it haha

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 01:58:00 PM »

April is too long to wait.  If U are able to pay for an appt., do so.  MayBe as a C.mas/birthday gift if necessary.  Another option is to contact the Dept if you are able to take a sudden app. if someone cancels.  Think about how far you are from the Hospital and whether you could get there un-stressed say within 20 mins..  If U can ring the Dept in the New Year and suggest that option.

Why did U drop back on VA treatment if it was working  :-\.  Vaginitis is different to vaginal atrophy ?  :-\

Talli

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 02:05:07 PM »

I don’t know why I dropped back on VA :/ I guess I just got nervous that it could be increasing my risk for endometrial cancer? I honestly don’t know.
I get so frightened about things these days.
Drs gave me Fluoxetine to try but it made me feel awful, so lightheaded I couldn’t get up or do anything and so sick I lost weight in 5 days of taking it (I weigh 8st7)
I stopped taking it today.
I’m not sure what to do anymore.

The Betnovate is helping the external symptoms and urethral irritation a bit so I’m just sticking with that.
Good idea asking about a cancellation at hospital.
I might do that in the new year.
Regarding the vaginitis, dr just said it’s very inflamed and that I had vaginitis and that that would cause the symptoms I said I had, ie not being able to pee and feeling like I hadnt emptied my bladder properly.
Thanks for your replies :)

Talli

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 02:14:12 PM »

I also didn’t think the Vagofem was helping because I was having really bad pain inside my vagina, itching, huge amounts of discharge.
Went to GUM they did swabs said nothing wrong, no infection etc.
So I figured maybe it wasn’t VA all along and all the the health professionals I saw couldn’t understand how I could have VA THAT badly and still be having my periods and only be 40 so I figured maybe it wasn’t VA?
So I dropped back thinking I was doing more harm than good by taking it every night.
I’m back on every night again now but just can’t seem to feel comfortable down there.
Urology won’t see me. The drs referred me but urology wrote back saying there was nothing they could for me.

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 02:27:32 PM »

I know there are some ladies on here with the same symptoms as you, perhaps if you put some key words in the search box posts relative to your situation should pop up.

Vagifem should not have any effect on the endometrial lining, its very localised.

Talli

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 02:38:28 PM »

I know there are some ladies on here with the same symptoms as you, perhaps if you put some key words in the search box posts relative to your situation should pop up.

Vagifem should not have any effect on the endometrial lining, its very localised.

Thank you for your reply :)
What sort of things should I put in the title? Im sorry, my brain is like fog at the moment.  :-\

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 02:42:20 PM »

Vagifem, Vaginal Atrophy, Lichen Sclerosis, that would be a good start!

Talli

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 02:42:45 PM »

Vagifem, Vaginal Atrophy, Lichen Sclerosis, that would be a good start!

👍🏼😄

Jules

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 03:52:10 PM »

I also didn’t think the Vagofem was helping because I was having really bad pain inside my vagina, itching, huge amounts of discharge.
Went to GUM they did swabs said nothing wrong, no infection etc.
So I figured maybe it wasn’t VA all along and all the the health professionals I saw couldn’t understand how I could have VA THAT badly and still be having my periods and only be 40 so I figured maybe it wasn’t VA?
So I dropped back thinking I was doing more harm than good by taking it every night.
I’m back on every night again now but just can’t seem to feel comfortable down there.
Urology won’t see me. The drs referred me but urology wrote back saying there was nothing they could for me.
I was seen by a gyny-urology consultant a few years ago because I kept getting UTIs. He prescribed vaginal estrogen but I didn't use it. The leaflet put me off. Oh how I wished I had. I wonder why urology won't see you.

Talli

Re: Vagifem, Lichen Sclerosis, Vaginal Atrohpy and spotting
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 04:01:00 PM »

I think it’s because they’ve already seen me once.
I had a cystoscopy and apart from a narrowed urethra they said everything was normal.
They said they dont feel as though there’s anything more they can offer me at the moment and that gynae would be more appropriate.
Sex is impossibly painful so that might be why?

I wish I hadn’t stopped back on the Vagifem now but there we are 😅

Jules

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2023, 09:44:48 PM »

I had a cystoscopy and apart from a narrowed urethra they said everything was normal.
They said they dont feel as though there’s anything more they can offer me at the moment and that gynae would be more appropriate.

I wished I'd used it when advised to but less was known about it then. Start using it though.

Suziemc

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 06:48:18 AM »

From what I understand, Vagifem is very safe and won't cause thickening of endometrium. I'd guess that your spotting and variable periods are due to the beginning of peri-menopause. Keep using the vagifem, daily if it is needed, until you see the gynae.

Your LS could be causing your discomfort on peeing. There is a very good doctor, Dr Jill Krapf, who does you tube video articles about LS including one on how to apply steroid cream for best results. She basically advices to rub it in for around 90 seconds to gain full advantage. Look her up and see if it helps you.

Talli

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 09:32:53 AM »

I wished I'd used it when advised to but less was known about it then. Start using it though.

Thank you.
I am using it daily again now but my urethra is still very irritated. The Dr gave me Betnovate RD which was helping but now that irritates it too. Ha ha I’m a mess.
Pages: [1] 2