Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Visiting UK attractions  (Read 8525 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Visiting UK attractions
« on: December 18, 2023, 02:09:57 PM »

We have decided to visit a few Museums/Zoos between now and New Year.

However: looking at their web-sites it appears that most Zoos now require visitors to pre-book a time slot!  Which makes this rather restrictive, what happens if some1 is driving by and decides to support the Zoo? 

Surely these types of venues cannot afford to turn away monies in the form of ad-hoc visitors?

jaypo

Re: Visiting UK attractions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 02:24:29 PM »

No nice safari parks? Longleat is fab,maybe a bit far from yours though

Minusminnie

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 03:03:39 PM »

Museums and Zoos may be busy with school holidays.  The prebooking is mainly to get a cheaper ticket and it does mean you are then committed. We've scrabbled with grandchildren to reach a time slot but wonder post covid if it is really all necessary.  Or maybe it is to do with entry flow now who knows ?

You may enjoy llama/alpaca trekking.  Some places are open all year round.  Lovely experience when we went.

Songbird

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 03:42:41 PM »

Yep, Jaypo, I love Longleat. 
The best museum I’ve been to is, without doubt, the National Archaeological Museum in Athens……..faaabulous darling! Maybe a bit far to go CLKD  :o

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 03:48:33 PM »

It takes the spontaneity away  :'(

Whipsnade prefers people to pre-book ..... of course one you have handed over a booking fee that's it.  The money is in their coffers.

I won't be be pre-booking.  Too much likely to up my anxiety levels. 

I can't see the point in llama trekking and with animal movements having to be applied for and licensed, I don't understand how they R able to do that.  Also, llamas spit  :o :-X

Minusminnie

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 06:03:42 PM »

I can't see the point in llama trekking and with animal movements having to be applied for and licensed, I don't understand how they R able to do that. 

Diversification.

Our trek was lead by a llama with a handler we followed with alpacas. I found it just a pleasant experience if you ignore all the tourist trappings attached to it …gift shop etc.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 06:19:02 PM »

We have an alpaca walking centre in the next village. They also take them round to all the local care homes. Looks good fun.

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 06:53:02 PM »

I can provide you with a 'walk with animals' experience and I won't even charge you for it   :). TB test tomorrow, cows came home today. Three quarters of an hour getting them out of 50 acre bog (wellie only came off once) followed by a lovely scenic 2ish mile walk along the boundary of the Peak District - well, it would have been scenic if it wasn't raining. Cows are nice and friendly when you have a bucket of corn (I can even provide a stick for when they get a bit too friendly 🐂). Any takers for next year?? I'll play with a hamster instead.

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 06:55:23 PM »

👋👋👋👋me me meeeeee,my best memories are when we lived on my grandpas farm,used to love it when all the cows came in for the winter 🥰

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 09:03:06 PM »

And all I see are piles and piles of 💩💩💩💩💩🤐

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 09:06:03 PM »

This could be another thread Sheila - I'm game; Good with a shovel.  Love making compost and manure piles.  Did I ever tell U about when I was found, sitting in the stall with the Hereford bull, reading to him  ;D.  The 1 time that I ever heard my Uncle swear and 'don't tell her mother'!  I was 4 ...........

How 'good' is the TB testing likely to B?  R U in a particularly vulnerable area  :-\ ?

As for llamas - did any1 watch Jules trying to dose a flock of the critters on 'the winter farm' last week  :o oh and it don't have stink!  Worse than a Billy goat. Did I ever tell you about Whipsnade Zoo .......... Dad and a llama?

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 09:24:18 PM »

This is an extra test because our neighbour had one that tested positive. Most people round here have gone down with it at one time or another so I think it's only a matter of time before we do. Even more 💩💩💩 if we go down as we won't be able to sell anything.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2023, 10:56:03 PM »

Why do farmers continue with cattle if they are in a 'risk' area for TB?  Is there nothing else that can substitute ....... I know that many lines have been developed over the years but sometimes it seems like banging head against a wall.

The stress and worry ........... as well as affection for the beasts.   :-\

Minusminnie

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2023, 08:42:25 AM »

I can provide you with a 'walk with animals' experience and I won't even charge you for it   :). TB test tomorrow, cows came home today. Three quarters of an hour getting them out of 50 acre bog (wellie only came off once) followed by a lovely scenic 2ish mile walk along the boundary of the Peak District - well, it would have been scenic if it wasn't raining. Cows are nice and friendly when you have a bucket of corn (I can even provide a stick for when they get a bit too friendly 🐂). Any takers for next year?? I'll play with a hamster instead.

Maybe you should charge for it.  You already have two takers !
You may find this of interest.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/nov/21/cuddling-cow-less-stressed-wellness-experience-dumble-farm-east-yorkshire

jaypo

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 10:40:44 AM »

Aww that's brilliant minusminnie 😀
Pages: [1] 2