Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Why are menopause symptoms and long Covid symptoms so similar?  (Read 1053 times)

Rustysmum

Why are menopause symptoms and long Covid symptoms so similar?
« on: January 03, 2024, 12:13:32 AM »

I am post menopausal for almost 6 years now. Recently had Covid (October) which went to pneumonia. I seem to have long Covid. Several of the symptoms seem the same as when i was going through menopause but worse! Anyone know why? Do any of the menopause supplements/remedies help with these Long Covid symptoms? I thought I had left horrendous palpitations/anxiety/hot flushes and internal tremors behind but they have returned as part of this illness. I had milder versions for a few weeks after my booster last year so there must be some hormonal link of some kind isn’t there? Desperate for some reassurance that this too shall pass and if there are remedies that help that would be great. I had my heart all checked out after the post-vaccine symptoms and GP just shrugs her shoulders.says everyone is still learning about it. Would be interested to hear of others’ experience with this please.

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
Re: Why are menopause symptoms and long Covid symptoms so similar?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 08:42:07 AM »

I read about younger women experiencing no periods for a while after covid and about how it affects ovaries in a similar way to lungs as being a favourite organ for it to attack.

That's all very well in younger women, but why would a post menopause woman develop symptoms of falling/fluctuating hormones?

I was told at two years post meno that I had no ovarian function at all, you're six years post meno so has covid attacked your resting ovaries and caused a release of residual hormones?

I'm only speculating, you ask an interesting question, I hope you find an answer. Either way I expect it would be temporary, especially as it happened then got better with the vaccine too.

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 09:31:36 AM »

Do you think Covid effects hormones or the vaccine?

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 09:36:10 AM »

Your symptoms could still be due to having had pneumonia very recently rather than long covid. It took me as good six months to recover from pneumonia when I had it. Maybe it's a mixture of post viral stuff and hormones?

Taz x

Rustysmum

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 11:33:52 AM »

Pastie Supper that is very interesting - thank you. I didn’t know it went for the ovaries the same as the lungs. It definitely has done something weird there!! Yes, hoping it is very temporary!!
Deidre - I think both affect hormones or promotes a hormonal type response as the symptoms I had are so similar.
Tan- guess it could be. I know palpitations are now a recognised symptom of Long Covid as is sweating, and anxiety. Hadn’t heard of internal tremors, but i guess if it is thought to affect your nervous system then it is likely to cause vasomotor type symptoms again as I had during the menopause?? Would love to find something that helps calm it all down again though!!

Rustysmum

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 01:19:02 PM »

Taz 2 can I ask if you had similar symptoms after you had pneumonia? Sorry to hear you have had to go through that too.

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 02:46:09 PM »

Pastie Supper that is very interesting - thank you. I didn’t know it went for the ovaries the same as the lungs. It definitely has done something weird there!! Yes, hoping it is very temporary!!
Deidre - I think both affect hormones or promotes a hormonal type response as the symptoms I had are so similar.
Tan- guess it could be. I know palpitations are now a recognised symptom of Long Covid as is sweating, and anxiety. Hadn’t heard of internal tremors, but i guess if it is thought to affect your nervous system then it is likely to cause vasomotor type symptoms again as I had during the menopause?? Would love to find something that helps calm it all down again though!!

Vitamin D was reportedly very beneficial during covid, those that were deficient seemed to suffer worse, also anti inflammatory meds like ibuprofen helped.
Could these simple things maybe help now, after all vitamin D is a hormone?

Rustysmum

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 04:30:25 PM »

Thanks Deidre. I always take Vit D3 with K2 throughout autumn and winter here so have been on it the whole time. So may have helped me not be more sick but is not helping the many long Covid symptoms much. Just hate the palpitations soo much. Thought I was done with those!!

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 09:25:51 PM »

I had palpatations after covid the second time I had it but not the first. Had ECG and all was well but it took weeks for them to gradually stop.
Also being anxious about them can make them worse.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 09:27:36 PM by Dierdre »

Rustysmum

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 09:37:28 PM »

Sorry to hear that you suffered with them too. It is very encouraging to hear that they eventually stopped for you. I don’t mind so much if I know there is a chance they will eventually go and not be stuck with them. They were my most hated peri symptom and could not stand going back to having them every day. Thanks so much Deidre.

Pippa52

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 03:57:09 PM »

The vaccines definitely affected me hormone wise and also badly affected my heart and was advised not to have any more after the initial 2.  I contracted Covid for the first time 11 weeks ago and was pretty poorly with it.  It definitely affected my hormones and HRT and I started to get bad migraines again plus anxiety and palpitations.  My Meno consultant has actually lowered my dose of patches and I am now starting to feel better again.

Rustysmum

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 05:07:48 PM »

Wow Pippa52, so sorry you are suffering in a similar way, but it is reassuring to hear your story. I do hope you are fully better very soon. That is really interesting that they have actually lowered your HRT. It really does seem that there is some hormonal component there. Just anecdotally, our local greengrocer who knows the whole village was saying that he has heard of so many women struggling to get over Covid/‘the bad cough going around’, whereas men seem to shake it off as a bad cold. Thanks for replying and get well soon!

Scampidoodle

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 02:17:30 PM »

The vaccines definitely affected me hormone wise and also badly affected my heart and was advised not to have any more after the initial 2.  I contracted Covid for the first time 11 weeks ago and was pretty poorly with it.  It definitely affected my hormones and HRT and I started to get bad migraines again plus anxiety and palpitations.  My Meno consultant has actually lowered my dose of patches and I am now starting to feel better again.

Hi Pippa, that’s interesting. Are you still feeling better with the lower dose?