Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Thickened womb lining  (Read 6399 times)

Northerngirl

Thickened womb lining
« on: December 17, 2023, 09:08:24 PM »

Could any of you ladies that have ever had a thickened womb lining give me some advice please. As you may know I've last week been told that mine is 8mm thick and I've been referred to gynae/oncology and obviously I'm now scared beyond belief. No mention of hysteroscopy or biopsy(thought they'd be standard) Have any of you suffered with back/pelvic pain with  the thickening?
I'm 55,  post meno and was on oestrogen and utrogestan(now stopped  til this is over)I've  also over the last couple of months had blood in urine (investigated  and clear). Now the pmb.  I'm hoping that with so many symptoms going on that this could be the reason for the gynae/oncology referral. Anyone had anything similar I'd be grateful for your feedback pls as I'm anxious beyond belief and don't go to the  hospital  till the 28th. Sorry to be mithering you all again but I'm at my wits end....can't sleep or  anything atm. Silly I know!!

Nas

Re: Thickened womb lining
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 10:21:45 PM »

Hi Northerngirl
I’ve read your other thread and what I don’t understand, is why you haven’t been offered a womb biopsy and/ or hysteroscopy? That is the usual procedure following an ultra sound or TV scan. They biopsy a small part of lining of the womb and this is usually ( not always ) followed up with a hysteroscopy, to check what’s going on inside the womb.

A thickened womb lining is pretty common for post menopausal women on Hrt. It might be a bit different if you weren’t on HRT.

When I had a thickening of the lining, I used to experience period type pain, prior to a bleed. The issue was that the utrogestan wasn’t doing its job. I had a mirena fitted and that did the job, until I had my recent hysterectomy.

Are your symptoms continuous or just before a bleed?

The waiting is torturous and I empathise. At the moment, you don’t know anything other than a  thickened womb lining.

Everyone’s situation is different, but you are being dealt with very soon, which is good.

Hang on in there.. remember that gynae oncologists also deal with benign conditions aswell. It is not all doom and gloom 😊

Chin up and keep us posted x

VioletAquarius

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 11:37:47 PM »

No, it's not silly! Being worried about health is very normal, and it can't be helped, no matter how hard we try.

Sorry I can't help with anything you have asked, apart from I agree with Nas, I don't understand why you haven't been referred for a hysteroscopy.  Maybe give the secretary or department a ring to ask.

Northerngirl

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 09:05:09 AM »

Thank you both for your replies. That's exactly what I'm concerned about. After the ultrasound showed the thickening and I was told I needed another 2 week referral (my 4th) I thought it would be hysteroscopy and biopsy but it's to see the gynae/oncology consultant....that doesn't look like she's actually going to do a biopsy or anything because it's in her office I think....so more time wasted. This is the first time in over 12 years that I've had a bleed  so it's all new to me....Yes the pain was really bad just before the bleed.
All the time my mental health is in bits and I'm not normally like this. I've had sleeping pills from the dr but don't really want to use them.

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 09:30:42 AM »

Hi Northern Girl,

I had an ultrasound scan recently which showed my womb lining thickening was 11mm, they also found fluid in my womb. I also had back and pelvic pain.

I then 7 days after my ultra sound had a very heavy bleed ( I'm post meno about 4yrs) so I was referred under the 2wk pathway to my gynae/oncology unit.  I presumed they were going to do another scan, it wasn't until I got there that they said they were going to do an endometrial biopsy there and then. My letter also said I was going to see a consultant but I saw the oncology nurses.

The endometrial biopsy came back as fine, the fluid in the womb was blood (which I shed 7 days after the scan), the reason for the womb thickening was unopposed estrogen, I was taking cyclogest rectally but it wasn't enough to counteract the estrogen I was on.

I don't know if that all helps or not xxx

Nas

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 09:41:09 AM »

Hi again Northerngirl,
When I had my first appointment with a gynaecologist, I saw her in an office, but there was an adjacent room, where she did a biopsy. The hysteroscopy was done in a “ medical” room.

Really hope discogirl has helped relieve your fears? Different health authorities may deal with  gynaecology issues in a slightly different way, but an outcome is always achieved.

Look at it this way. They cannot possibly diagnose ANYTHING without a biopsy and / or hysteroscopy; it isn’t medically possible.

Realistically, most causes of bleeds with pain on HRT, are caused by unopposed oestrogen. Utrogestan isn’t well known
for controlling bleeding. And even IF it was something more, it’s being dealt with very early on Thats why these pathways exist.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 09:45:12 AM by Nas »

Northerngirl

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 10:39:30 AM »

Hi disco girl and  nas
It is definitely reassuring to hear that you've both been something similar recently. My scan did show fluid on the right side, which they said could be something to do with the fact  I had abdominal surgery 12 years ago for a pelvic abscess. That was the last issue I had until Oct and the blood in the urine and uti symptoms. There just seems to be so much going on atm.
Thanks ladies

Northerngirl

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 09:21:07 AM »

Hi Northern Girl,

I had an ultrasound scan recently which showed my womb lining thickening was 11mm, they also found fluid in my womb. I also had back and pelvic pain.

I then 7 days after my ultra sound had a very heavy bleed ( I'm post meno about 4yrs) so I was referred under the 2wk pathway to my gynae/oncology unit.  I presumed they were going to do another scan, it wasn't until I got there that they said they were going to do an endometrial biopsy there and then. My letter also said I was going to see a consultant but I saw the oncology nurses.

The endometrial biopsy came back as fine, the fluid in the womb was blood (which I shed 7 days after the scan), the reason for the womb thickening was unopposed estrogen, I was taking cyclogest rectally but it wasn't enough to counteract the estrogen I was on.

I don't know if that all helps or not xxx
discogirl if you don't mind me asking during everything that has been going on with you lately (as above post) did you have any other symptoms or was it only the 11 mm thickening and bleeding? I started with blood in my urine, uti symptoms , discharge ...all this before the 8mmm lining was discovered and the bleeding etc. Sorry to keep mithering you but my mind is in overdrive I really think this is cancer

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 04:07:59 PM »

Hi Northerngirl

I dont mind at all.

I started having symptoms of too much estrogen sore boobs so i dropped my oestrogel down. Then two days before my bleed i had stomach cramps leg pains etc. i did have a bit of discharge as well.

the main thing is your on the 2wk referral. its natural to feel scared but even if anything is caught the gynae units are really good and quick.

i really hope you get your appt soon and i really want to wish you all the very best xxx

Northerngirl

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 06:53:03 PM »

Hi Northerngirl

I dont mind at all.

I started having symptoms of too much estrogen sore boobs so i dropped my oestrogel down. Then two days before my bleed i had stomach cramps leg pains etc. i did have a bit of discharge as well.

the main thing is your on the 2wk referral. its natural to feel scared but even if anything is caught the gynae units are really good and quick.

i really hope you get your appt soon and i really want to wish you all the very best xxx
yh I'm absolutely terrified.  My appointment is the 28th. Thanks for the reply

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 07:55:28 PM »

Hi DG following this thread, how much oestrogen were you using at the time?

discogirl

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2023, 01:33:27 PM »

Hi Cassie

I was on 3 pumps of oestrogel from nov 2022 and i was using utrogestan for my progesterone.

I changed to cyclogest for my progesterone in july 2023.

I dropped my gel down by half a pump in august of this year as i was experiencing symptoms of too much estrogen.

I then dropped down  to 2 pumps of gel in oct of this year.

When I had my scan in October my gp and I decided it was for the best to come off hrt for the time being.

Northerngirl

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2023, 06:08:22 PM »

Hi ladies I know it's xmas and I'm really sorry to be a misery. I've had the worst xmas ever...infact we haven't even celebrated at all. I'm so scared I have womb cancer with all these symptoms I've been experiencing for over 2 months now. I know I have my appointment at gynae/oncology on Thursday (even that is terrifying m)..and I know that doesn't mean cancer but my symptoms do.
I just don't feel strong enough to cope with this...still can't sleep even with sleeping tablets.  I don't know where else to turn. I'm not usually like this at all

Nas

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 06:57:28 PM »

Hi Northerngirl
Sorry to hear you are still feeling worried. The waiting is undoubtedly the toughest part in all of this.

Thursday isn’t far away now and then you will have some answers.

You need to gain perspective on all of this, mainly to keep yourself sane until the appointment. One way you can do that, is to say to yourself, “ okay, even if it is womb cancer, the medics will already have a plan for you. You won’t be left to deal with anything on your own. I know this can be difficult to do, but otherwise you will drive yourself mad. Also
you WILL find the strength to deal with whatever Thursday brings, because you have to. You may not want to, but you will need to find/ gather strength from somewhere.

Sending positive vibes and thoughts.

Xxxx

MrsMitch

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2023, 11:55:38 AM »

Hoping you get chance to update us today, Northerngirl. Been thinking about you re today's apt. Xx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4