Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena Bleeding Reassurance  (Read 1561 times)

Peach8

Mirena Bleeding Reassurance
« on: October 24, 2023, 01:24:42 PM »

Hello. I had a mirena coil fitted 7 weeks ago and have not had one day without bleeding. It's not very heavy but it's like a permanent period rather than spotting. I'm also still getting frequent cramps. GP added Provera 1 x 10mg two weeks ago but it has done nothing to help.  I also take mefenamic acid. I really need this to work for me, I don't get along with utrogestan and my period pain is horrific. I'm peri and on 1mg sandrena. Combined pill in the past gave me migraines and I had continuous spotting on depo provera so I'm concerned the mirena isn't going to settle. 7 weeks is feeling like 7 months. Anyone bled continuously for weeks and have it settle down?  Please?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mirena Bleeding Reassurance
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 01:59:43 PM »

:bighug:   Could you speak to the person who inserted the Coil?

Peach8

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 02:21:05 PM »

Not very easily unfortunately, it was through gynae clinic at hospital. GP now on holiday 🙁. I keep being told it's early days. I was warned of irregular bleeding and spotting but I wasn't expecting every single day. Fed up and want to quit but I really need this to work. Just hoping someone had a similar experience and this isn't a sign that it's not going to settle.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 02:35:45 PM »

U could ring the secretary, we can be a font of knowledge and there should be other medics with advice.

jorainbow

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 02:48:05 PM »

I bled for 6 weeks but then had it removed. Unfortunately it can take longer to settle. I was advised up to 6 months 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 04:50:45 PM »

I am on my second Mirena, had both post meno so different to you but I had daily spotting for 4.5 months with first one.

SarahT

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 06:31:02 PM »

I had light bleeds and spotting for about three months before things settled. Even a year on I do  get a little spotting at times.

Denise Didi

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 06:23:16 AM »

Morning peach I have the mirena and the bleeding did go on for weeks. I wish I could remember how long but I have had it for 4 years now and have no issues. It was awful and looking back I don't know how I put up with it!  I think I even took an iron supplement cos of all the bleeding. I think I persevered as I had tried everything else.. It has the least amount  of progesterone, too much and I become depressed..  What was the reason you were given the coil?

Feebs

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 08:45:14 AM »

Hi, firstly I would ask for a scan to check that the coil is in the right position.
My daily bleeding (mainly brownish sludgy stuff, not heavy) went on for around 6 months, then became gradually more intermittent. After around 12 months I finally stopped bleeding and have had none since (I’ve had the coil for 2 years).
This seems like a very long time to put up with this but after I was reassured everything was fine after a scan I was determined to persevere as utrogestan brought me out in a rash and I needed to be on 4 pumps of oestrogel.
I hope it doesn’t go on as long for you but now mine has settled I feel it was worth the effort as I now don’t think about it at all 🙂

Peach8

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 03:22:56 PM »

Morning peach I have the mirena and the bleeding did go on for weeks. I wish I could remember how long but I have had it for 4 years now and have no issues. It was awful and looking back I don't know how I put up with it!  I think I even took an iron supplement cos of all the bleeding. I think I persevered as I had tried everything else.. It has the least amount  of progesterone, too much and I become depressed..  What was the reason you were given the coil?

Hi Denise. Thanks for your reply. I was given the coil partly because utrogestan is not my friend, I felt terrible on it, but also because my period pain is horrendous and is now accompanied by vomiting and near fainting. I can't live like that every month so I'm praying the mirena works for me. I just wasn't prepared for daily bleeding and cramp, 7 weeks is feeling like 7 months.

Peach8

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 03:23:39 PM »

Thank you to everyone who has replied x

Madge79

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 06:48:47 AM »

How are you feeling now Peach8 did it settle? I’ve just had a mirena and been bleeding and cramping and constant migraine so far 😢

Peach8

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 07:01:32 AM »

How are you feeling now Peach8 did it settle? I’ve just had a mirena and been bleeding and cramping and constant migraine so far 😢

No, 3 months in and still spotting every day. I'd been taking provera to try and help but it hasn't and I've just stopped it because I think it was affecting my mood. I get occasional cramping now, at the beginning it was every day and pretty painful, that was for about the first month. Pretty fed up tbh but persevering because I need this to work.

Madge79

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2023, 06:40:20 PM »

Really hope it settles for you, I know the feeling as I have real issues with utrogestan. I need this to work too.
Fingers crossed for you xx

Peach8

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2023, 07:36:04 PM »

Thank you. Hope it settles for you too xx