Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Atrophy  (Read 4221 times)

kathryn22

Atrophy
« on: December 14, 2023, 02:19:42 PM »

New to this site so no idea if this will even post, or if it’s the right place, not finding the site very easy to use.
Am suffering from horrendous Atrophy, which has crept on over the last year or two and been given Estriol cream x 2 weekly and Replens x3 weekly. But nothing is helping I do get the occasional good day, but mainly every day is miserable and depressing  I dread waking up, my GP says it might get better but not very reassuring and not that interested to be honest.
Is this it ?? I’m just 65 and the thought of suffering for another 20 + years is sending me into such a dark place Does anyone have any suggestions that might help. Maybe different meds? it does seem that there is a generic prescribed list of meds, which if they're not successful then nothing else is tried. Hoping this post arrives in the right place

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Atrophy
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 02:50:47 PM »

AAAHHHHH.  ..........  ::)  :welcomemm: Sounds like another GP who needs to stick his/her head down the loo and flush.  Several times  >:(  ::)

Lots of info about 'bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy on this site.  Browse round.  U don't have to suffer.

Who has offered the regime you have been using?

GPs usually prescribe either: "vagifem" which is delivered by a think a small tablet into the vagina to stick on the 'wall' to release slowly; or 'ovestin' which I use delivered into the vagina in a measured dose in an applicator.  The advantage with that is that 1 can use a smear on the vulval area too.  Some find that using a moistorisor such as 'sylc' or 'yes' can help too. 

There is a product available OTC from Boots called I think, 'gina'. 

There is a book called 'me and my menopausal vagina' which is worth a read.  Written by a Forum Member and her daughter a few years ago ...... to educate women who can they pass on the book to their GPs .  I did, several times.

Up the estriol to every night for as long as is necessary, 2-3 weeks at the very least.  Ditch the Replens and use KY Jelly if suitable or 1 of the mositorisors that can be useful.

When I get the need2P I swallow two Nurofen 3 times a day to ease the nip as the spincter shuts off the urine flow.  It relaxes those muscles.

Let us know how you get on.  It's 1 subject that we know a lot about.

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 03:17:56 PM »

Welcome Kathryn22
Do as much research as you can by using the search box here, and yes I know not an easy site to navigate but if you put Vaginal Atrophy in the box there are lots of helpful posts.

You will get better but you must use the treatment every day until you feel better and that can take weeks or even months. Vagifem every day, with Ovestin cream used on the outside and a moisturiser like the Yes products are very good. Replens is not a good one to use and some GP's have stopped prescribing it.

Some links to help you:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64837.msg895647.html#msg895647

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22886.0.html

kathryn22

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 03:31:16 PM »

Thanks for your advice
It’s a really isolating condition although I’m sure so many women have it and suffer in silence
My GP hasn’t prescribed either of your advised meds so I will try to get hold of her again as I’ve been on the regime for about 6 weeks
So difficult to get an appointment so have to use an E referring system, which is a pain and very long winded
Coincidentally I was also told I have a double prolapse when the atrophy was diagnosed and am due to see a gynaecologist in early January, so am hoping he might be a bit more proactive The joys of being a woman Periods Childbirth Menopause Prolapses Atrophy
Who knew what was coming Thank you again

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 04:12:13 PM »

All of the meds for VA are oestrogen based so don’t worry you are not being given the right medication, it all depends on how often you use it to ease the symptoms. Some of us don't tolerate the meds given so we try another that might suit, that's the problem with VA, its all trial and error at first.

When you throw other conditions into the mix with VA, it makes it all the more complicated a situation that has to be worked on. I am glad you have an appointment in early January which should put you in a good place going forward. But in the meantime, do all the research yourself on Vaginal Atrophy, knowledge is power when you have your appointment with the Gynae.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 04:41:11 PM »

A prolapse may well increase the 'need2P' sensations - take a list of your symptoms to the appt. in January.

Cara999

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 07:29:18 PM »

So sorry your suffering 😔 it can be a very awful place when this all starts. It will get better but unfortunately can take some time. Be consistent with the esteogen and as others have said use more often than 2 x week. You're not alone 🥰 xx

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 07:36:43 PM »

I would abandon the Replens, awful stuff it made my soreness worse. Ask for some Vagifem and Ovestin cream and use every day for two weeks. I need to use both every day and have never managed on twice a week.

It will improve but will take time.

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 11:48:04 PM »

Hello kathryn22. I am so sorry to hear about your VA. I see you have been prescribed an estriol cream; was this Ovestin or the weaker generic one? You can use either daily as twice a week won't be enough. Initially you should do a 14 night loading dose, and only then should you consider reducing the dose. As well as using the cream internally with the applicator, you can apply some directly to the labia at night. An emollient such as Epaderm or Hydromol applied externally at other times can also be soothing. If you do a Google search for Vaginal Atrophy Facebook Support Group, you can join this and find plenty of knowledge and support. It is a totally private group. Hope this helps.
JP x

kathryn22

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 03:49:24 PM »

Thank you all so much for the latest replies and advice
Joaniepat you asked if I was using the generic cream or Ovestin it’s the generic one I used everyday for 4 weeks and then told x 2 a week with Replens in between
Replens seems to get negative reviews but as it’s gone off the shelves I have now been given YES VM so maybe better?
I think the mental trauma has been almost as difficult to cope with as the physical symptoms The idea that this will never go away is, to me, unbearable As I have said, I see a gynaecologist after Christmas and hopefully he may also have some thoughts . I do wonder if a lot of the pain and discomfort is to do with the prolapse as if I don’t rest enough I’m in real trouble with burning pain and discomfort and I know I am fortunate that I have no issues peeing or going to the loo like I see so many people But the whole situation makes me so sad. Can I ask, did anyone have any tests to confirm VA I’ve heard there’s a PH test. My GP just said Oh you’ve got a prolapse and a bit of atrophy So I just wonder ??? Again thank you all so much

Ayesha

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 04:55:44 PM »

I've never heard of a test to confirm VA. Mine was found when I thought I had a prolapse, during the examination I was told no prolapse but that I need oestrogen down there, GP's obviously seeing the wasting away down there.

My symptoms were chronic to the stage I couldn't sit down but I am sure there is no test to determine if VA or not, unless someone knows different!

Jules

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 04:59:38 PM »

I've never heard of a test to confirm VA. Mine was found when I thought I had a prolapse, during the examination I was told no prolapse but that I need oestrogen down there, GP's obviously seeing the wasting away down there.

My symptoms were chronic to the stage I couldn't sit down but I am sure there is no test to determine if VA or not, unless someone knows different!

Me too. Diagnosed on examination though it wasn't given a name at first. The doctor can see the change in the tissues. Coupled with symotoms, It's like diagnosing measles from a rash.

kathryn22

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2023, 12:45:50 PM »

Hello All
Just wondering
Has anyone had a reaction to Estriol??
Been using for a few months and now down to X2 weekly with a moisturiser in between Last few times used  I’ve noticed what I can only describe as heightened discomfort over the next 48hrs. Wondering if it’s being caused by the sheer amount used blocking things up it doesn’t absorb very well and mostly comes away on the first pee of the day next morning I know other meds require you to use a lesser amount. just wondering (or clutching at straws)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 01:15:12 PM »

You're not using it often enough.   Initially when I put in a dose I would have the need2P feelings the next day: at the time I was using every 3rd and every 6th night. 

How high are U inserting the product?  A certain amount may well discharge however, it could be 'excess' - which the vaginal walls haven't absorbed = needs more to soften the vaginal tissues.  It's a bit Trial and Error  ::)

Jules

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2023, 01:22:55 PM »

Hello All
Just wondering
Has anyone had a reaction to Estriol??
Been using for a few months and now down to X2 weekly with a moisturiser in between Last few times used  I’ve noticed what I can only describe as heightened discomfort over the next 48hrs. Wondering if it’s being caused by the sheer amount used blocking things up it doesn’t absorb very well and mostly comes away on the first pee of the day next morning I know other meds require you to use a lesser amount. just wondering (or clutching at straws)
Is it cream? Can you try a pessary? I use alternate nights, vagifem or equivalent
Pages: [1] 2 3 4