Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Mometasone cream for vaginal atrophy  (Read 9234 times)

buffy26

Mometasone cream for vaginal atrophy
« on: December 13, 2023, 05:41:14 PM »

Has anyone been prescribed this for very atrophic and changed appearance of the vulva?  Seems to be shrinking and shrivelling!  I am currently using this prescribed for a three week period but it seems to be making me worse, more red and sore than ever.  I am also using Vagifem every other day and have been for a long time ( over a year) and on Estrogel yet my symptoms are terrible. Night sweats and achey joints. Ive had 2 blood tests over the last few months and they were reported as being normal at 312 on HRT. I cant tolerate patches and was advised not go on tablets for risk reasons. Dr observed they maybe Lichen Sclerosus on its way, which my mother was diagnosed with a year ago. Worried as this may not be the best treatment, although Dr said it was experimental

I would like to try a natural mosituriser, the YES product is so watery and it stings, anyone relate? Please share any tips! Thank you

I read some other posts but they were a few years ago so I have started a new post.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mometasone cream for vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 06:01:55 PM »

I've no knowledge of this.  If symptoms are worse stop the Mometasone?

MayB use the 'vagifem' every night, some require it that way as well as moisturisers.  If the vulval/vaginal skin is thin it may be dry, bleed a little - the idea being to plump up those tissues with regular treatment. 

Slyc, Yes products ........ I find KY jelly suits as well as a squeeze of ovestin - which I use for VA. 

Jules

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 06:34:42 PM »

I've been using vagifem alternate nights and ovestin every night externally for 3 months. I was previously only using vagifem twice a week. The increased dose and the ovestin has made a difference and definitely externally, not as I was before but definitely plumped up and i have no discomfort. This type of atrophy is awful,  the physical symptoms and the psychological ones. Totally unexpected on my part. I'm a little anxious about using the stuff so frequently but am scared that if I reduce it will regress.

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 01:22:00 AM »

Mometasone is a steroid cream for eczema which would be ok if you definately have Lichens sclerosus but if it's causing redness and irritation then stop. I would start by doing a reload of vagifem and take everyday until your feeling comfortable again.
I'm still struggling to find a good moisturiser too, they all sting me now.
I do use Ovestin externally everynight and that has helped as just using vagifem don't reach the outside bits.
I have Dermovate for Lichens and find this very soothing when i have an atrophy flare up too. Using Ovestin externally and Dermovate steroid cream is usually the treatment for Lichens sclerosus.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 09:09:29 AM »

OUCH steroids Down There  :o

I was prescribed steroid cream - no idea which - to use as little as possible on the area of 'sun burn' after radiation treatment. 

Try something simple like KY Jelly ?  Some ladies don't get on with it, I have never had problems.  Keep away from Replens ;-)

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 09:42:45 AM »

Steroids down there is the treatment for Lichens Sclerosus, the cream I use is Hydrocortisone called Dermovate or Clobetasol. It's the only cream I can use that actually doesn't sting or burn and make me sore. It works very fast healing the tissue so when I apply the Ovestin it doesn't sting. A small amount twice a day for a month then once or twice a week for maintenance. Usually it sorts me out within a week or two, wouldn't be without it.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 10:39:23 AM »

:thankyou:

buffy26

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 11:51:56 AM »

Thank you for sharing your experiences ladies. My GP had prescribed this to gauge if there is a difference after trying the Mometasone, if there is then its likely a referral to a dermatologist for Lichen Sclerosus. I may try to stabilise things first with a consistent daily Vagifem and see if this improves things, as right now it is difficult to really work out the real issue to treat. I will also take look at Ovestin, hope its not prescription only, it sounds as though it may be what's needed for external area improvement. I am more red and inflamed rather than flaky/scaly dry.

Deirdre, thank you so much for your response on Lichen. I am glad you have the treatment plan that works well for you, did you find the cream reversed the changes in the area or just prevent further issues?

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 10:53:42 PM »

The steroid cream is just for Lichens Sclerosus and to heal the sore and sometimes split skin from atrophy. Ovestin and Vagifem are the medication you need to stop the atrophy from progressing, the estrogen hydrates and plumps up the tissue and also strengthens the pelvic floor to help prevent prolapse and bladder issues. It wont reverse changes to the vulva just help prevent further deterioration. Ovestin is very good used on the labia to reduce the shrivelled look as it plumps up the tisses. Daily use of a moisturiser will also stop the dryness but replacing the lost estrogen is what is needed long term.

Ayesha

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 11:04:36 PM »

I will also take look at Ovestin, hope its not prescription only, it sounds as though it may be what's needed for external area improvement. I am more red and inflamed rather than flaky/scaly dry.

I was able to buy Ovestin from the Superdrug Online Doctor service but I know its not available to buy at a pharmacy, at least when I last asked the question.

Jules

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 09:18:50 AM »

The steroid cream is just for Lichens Sclerosus and to heal the sore and sometimes split skin from atrophy. Ovestin and Vagifem are the medication you need to stop the atrophy from progressing, the estrogen hydrates and plumps up the tissue and also strengthens the pelvic floor to help prevent prolapse and bladder issues. It wont reverse changes to the vulva just help prevent further deterioration. Ovestin is very good used on the labia to reduce the shrivelled look as it plumps up the tisses. Daily use of a moisturiser will also stop the dryness but replacing the lost estrogen is what is needed long term.

Someone told me that with persistence and the right regime, vaginal and vulval atrophy could be reversed. I'd be interested to know if anybody has managed to make a difference with vaginal and topical estrogen.

buffy26

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 10:19:21 AM »

That's a really helpful explanation, thank you Deirdre. I have seen a slight improvement already by using the Vagifem for a few consecutive nights and using Hydromol twice a day in the last couple of days.

Ayesha

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 11:32:49 AM »

Someone told me that with persistence and the right regime, vaginal and vulval atrophy could be reversed. I'd be interested to know if anybody has managed to make a difference with vaginal and topical estrogen.

If its a straight forward case of Vaginal Atrophy then yes, symptoms can be reversed but its not a cure, treatment has to be continued for life because if stopped then you reverse back to how you were before starting treatment.

My VA is well under control but I still get the odd flare up depending what is going on in my life, like stressful situations or my immune system is below par.

MrsMitch

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 11:51:02 AM »

Before I self diagnosed VA from reading in thus forum, I was prescribed Locoid steroid cream. Although it can still help as long as I only use a small amount 3 times per week for a couple of weeks and no more, it's not great. Prior to that I was given the same as you  ( Mometasone) and it also made things so much worse.
I haven't been able to get rid if my VA even though I use Ovestin and oestrogen pessaries, but it's so much better than it was.
But now I'm waiting for a hysteroscopy I've had to stop all hrt treatment and I know it will come back with avengence.
I was told by the GP that because I've had it undiagnosed for over 12 years, there is no chance of getting back to how things were. Lovely thought.
I think I'd stop the steroid if it makes you sore, as it did me, too.

Jules

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 12:07:46 PM »

The vaginal estrogen is doing okay for me. I don't have any discomfort but I use alternate nights. The ovestin for vulval atrophy has made some difference after nightly for 4 months but nothing like as I was before. I hoped I'd get some reversal. It's actually put me off being intimate, I feel self conscious and stopped meeting the man I was friends with.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5