Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Help please, mucked my cycle up!  (Read 2283 times)

Penguin

Help please, mucked my cycle up!
« on: December 12, 2023, 03:14:57 PM »

Hi
I'm 49 and on estrogel one pump and utrogestan 200mg x 12 days. I have posted previously about struggling with utrogestan.
After stopping estrogel for 8 days at the beginning of November (at the start of the cycle so when I'd just finished the utrogesran stage) I didn't end up getting a bleed. Until now they had come within 0-3 days of stopping utrofestan every month. I can only assume my own estrogen was so low it didn't build up enough lining to shed. I had what I thought were pms symptoms (tenseness, lower tummy mild discomfort) but they just disappeared. A few days later my nipples and areola became really sensitive, anxiety spiked and I was peeing a lot, plus getting overheated again. Couldn't work out if low or high estrogen. Anyway woke up this morning, felt calm again, nipples back to normal, etc. Then mid morning I went to the loo and wipe one small (little fingernail size) blob of red. Along with some white cervical mucous, but the blood was definitely red. Nothing since.  I've got no idea what is going on. Given my nipples suddenly stopped hurting overnight and I feel overall calmer, is the single spot of blood likely to be due to a drop in estrogen or is it likely to be my period? Also think I have some VA as it's felt a bit burny down ther, mainly vulval tissue. Any advice welcome please, I just to know this is normal for peri before I start freaking out (bad Health Anxiety sufferer)???
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 03:18:22 PM by Penguin »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help please, mucked my cycle up!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 04:09:46 PM »

Probably vaginal atrophy if the tissues in the vagina are thin.

.... and breath!  Your own hormones may join in, mayB keep to the regime ? 

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 05:06:11 PM »

Hello Penguin,

Whilst I have lost track of ' normal ' cycles of there  is such a thing in peri ( on mirena so blessed not to have bleeds) I think the likelihood of the small amount of bleeding is unlikely to be anything sinister if that is your fear. Possibly your body is trying to get itself back on track after even the  short disruption of ceasing the estrogel?

I am sure others who suffer with HA will be able to reassure you. As you know peri is such a  mad fluctuation it's hard to work out what is normal or not.
Easy to say when not having to work with HA. X

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 07:40:05 PM »

Probably vaginal atrophy if the tissues in the vagina are thin.

.... and breath!  Your own hormones may join in, mayB keep to the regime ?

Oh I am from now on, at least until the new year when I can get it all reviewed and alternatives explored.

There's been nothing more apart from that small red blob so you may well be right re VA.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 07:40:50 PM »

Remind me: meno brain here  ::) : have U anything for the VA?

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 07:45:27 PM »

Hello Penguin,

Whilst I have lost track of ' normal ' cycles of there  is such a thing in peri ( on mirena so blessed not to have bleeds) I think the likelihood of the small amount of bleeding is unlikely to be anything sinister if that is your fear. Possibly your body is trying to get itself back on track after even the  short disruption of ceasing the estrogel?

I am sure others who suffer with HA will be able to reassure you. As you know peri is such a  mad fluctuation it's hard to work out what is normal or not.
Easy to say when not having to work with HA. X

Thanks Sarah. Yes I've done a lot of reading and all my logic tells me that it's messing around last month thats made me miss a bleed and then have this happen. The nipples suddenly stopping hurting and the feeling of calm preceding the small bit of red today are more indicative of a hormone fluctuation than anything bad, I know that intellectually. I also know that this is all supposedly normal in peri but I hate uncertainty and change, and it's all been quite predictable until now. Feeling calmer this evening actually, my intense loop of anxiety seems to have receded thankfully.
Thinking about it I probably need to increase from the one pump to try and level things out a bit and override my own cycle a bit, isn't that what they say you should do to avoid big peaks and troughs? X

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 07:48:22 PM »

Remind me: meno brain here  ::) : have U anything for the VA?

I had been using sylc but recently switched to hydromol as sylc was stinging when I get the little abrasion type things on my vulva.

I did have vagirux,  tried that but it burned like hell so only lasted 8 days. I wonder now if I should have persevered or if there's anything else I can use internally. Sometimes the whole area just feels hot and burny,  and then I feel like I need to wee more. On and off though, some weeks it is fine so perhaps that is my own hormones kicking in.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 08:03:04 PM »

Vagirux is a cheaper version - do ask your GP for 'ovestin' which is inserted in an applicator.  It's often caused by a drop in oestrogen levels.

U don't have to suffer!

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 08:09:58 PM »

Vagirux is a cheaper version - do ask your GP for 'ovestin' which is inserted in an applicator.  It's often caused by a drop in oestrogen levels.

U don't have to suffer!

Thank you! Is Ovestin a cream? Can it be put inside on the vaginal walls, i think that is where I really need it now.

SarahT

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 08:27:05 PM »

Ovestin is something I don't think I could live without. Yes, you do use an applicator up inside the vagina to moisten inside. Generally recommended to use daily for 2 weeks if memory serves, then twice each week thereafter. But, many find that is not enough and ( like me) use it every night. My gp is ok with this btw. It makes things so much more comfortable. I use a bit of YES moisturiser gel  on the tube but before inserting. Some women use ovestin on the outer lips but personally that made me sting, so I use YES externally.

Dotty

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2023, 07:54:17 AM »

Hi I use Blissel for VA. It’s a gel and is weaker than Ovestin. Ask to try that.

The bleeding is likely due to messing with your dosage. xx

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 08:11:18 AM »

Hi I use Blissel for VA. It’s a gel and is weaker than Ovestin. Ask to try that.

The bleeding is likely due to messing with your dosage. xx

Thanks Dotty. Is that prescription only? I've only had that one tiny blob of red, nothing since and just normal vaginal discharge of the type I'd get around ovulation (makes sense as I'm now mid cycle). The discharge makes it feel sticky inside but still burning on and off so I'm guessing still could be VA.

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 08:18:57 AM »

Ovestin is something I don't think I could live without. Yes, you do use an applicator up inside the vagina to moisten inside. Generally recommended to use daily for 2 weeks if memory serves, then twice each week thereafter. But, many find that is not enough and ( like me) use it every night. My gp is ok with this btw. It makes things so much more comfortable. I use a bit of YES moisturiser gel  on the tube but before inserting. Some women use ovestin on the outer lips but personally that made me sting, so I use YES externally.

Did you have side effects when you first started using it? I had so much burning from the vagirux but perhaps because estrogen was so desperately needed.

SarahT

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 08:31:43 AM »

Not internally no.
In fact I started ovestin for VA a couple of years before other hrt. I had a horrendously painful smear test and spots of bleeding after sex, so had investigations ( all perfectly fine ) and that's when VS was noted.
Neither medical or myself actually mentioned it was part of perimenopause! Like many of us I was totally clueless. Just thought I was getting old and had to put up with it.... If course we don't have to. Seek help for any troubling symptom. X

Dotty

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2023, 12:03:42 PM »

Hi Penguin

Yes Blissel is prescription only.  You sue it every night for 3 weeks and then twice a week after that.
https://www.myblissel.co.uk/how-to-use-guide/