Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anti-depressant horrific withdrawal and what to do (sister)  (Read 4348 times)

CherryC

Anti-depressant horrific withdrawal and what to do (sister)
« on: December 12, 2023, 09:35:24 AM »

My sister was on Citalopram for 3 years and weaned off over 6 months or so at the beginning of the year and all ok - then she took a dip in September and tried to go back on them.  She had a horrendous time over 4 weeks trying to get back on them - all side effects under the sun and impossible and GP told her to take half over 4 days and then stop. Virtually cold turkey.  She has been off it about 5 or 6 weeks now and so ill since then - extreme anxiety, sweating, insomnia,  heart palpitatios, depression , hospital twice.  they gave her Propranolol to use as and when but that caused issues in itself.  Their only suggestion is to try a different AD that works differently (Mitrazipine). She is terrified to try it in case the same thing happens and just doesn't know what to do.
I am so worried for her
(she's also on thyroid med and hrt 50mg Evorel patch and Utrogestan orally)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anti-depressant horrific withdrawal and what to do (sister)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 10:23:50 AM »

I found since 1988 that trying to resume an AD that had pooped out never worked.  The GP should have given your sister another AD.

Propranolol should be used every night or morning, not 'as necessary'.  I suggest that she goes to the GP and asks for 3 days of 'valium' to calm her present state.  5mg should help.  That will give relief and stop the constant whirl.  I had 5mg 3 times a day for 3 days initially then dropped to 5mg at night with success and no upping of symptoms.  Then 5mg to use the night B4 events that I was unable to get out of [visiting family in the main].

Because I knew that the Valium worked in that regime I never needed to take 'extra' which is what medics are so afraid of.  Also having access to a GP when required helped.  If necessary she can be over seen by the Nurse Practitioner which will support in itself.

Let us know how she gets on.  Whatever, at this time of y ear many of us need extra support.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 10:24:35 AM »

I will add that the night I was crawling on the floor in 1990 begging to be admitted, the hospital told me to 'take more Valium'. 

CherryC

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 10:40:32 AM »

CLKD thank you so much for your thoughts and experience. From your knowledge, might it be best to stick this out now, with the help of what you suggest, or can it be that the alternative AD she has now been given to try (Mitrazipine) could work.  She's just so terrified to try the new AD and if the same thing happens, I just can't imagine!! At the same time though, she's thinking she has no alternative to get out of this.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 11:56:06 AM »

Personally I would get to the GP for 'valium' - he has always been supportive for quick short term relief measures.  Then try the new AD once feeling more settled. 

Some really don't want to prescribe it.   This would probably ease symptoms until after Boxing Day when she can begin the Mitrazipine.  My friend was terrified initially but had good results after about 3 weeks. 

If your sister is able to get a Face2Face appt either with the GP or Nurse Practitioner, tell her to make a list of her symptoms to discuss.  Does she have any1 to go with her?  I know what it's like to be terrified of a new drug because 'what if it makes me feel worse'  >:(

CherryC

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 12:43:57 PM »

Thank you so much CLKD - you have been amazingly helpful and very much appreciated! Will let you know..

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 12:50:43 PM »

:foryou: both. 

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 09:43:56 PM »

Hi CherryC.   I went through similar nearly 10 years ago comimg off 12 years of Paroxetine (Paxil).  I foolishly did it on my own, I didn't trust the GP's.  It was hell for a long time.  I tapered for a while but then stopped completely.  I had insomnia, brain zaps, complete body discomfort like you've never known.   I went on "Paxil Progress" forum that changed to "Surviving Antidepressant's" which was some help.  Long story short it probably took me at least a couple of years to get over them, maybe more.  I lost the weight I had put on while taking them.  It really was the best thing I did, though I know AD's help a lot of people.   I knew the doctor would try and put me on something else if I went to them, or deny my experiences were withdrawal.  I didn't want to take anything off them.  I should have tapered much slower, but I was clueless about how bad it would be.

Ger

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 07:02:48 AM »

My sister was on Citalopram for 3 years and weaned off over 6 months or so at the beginning of the year and all ok - then she took a dip in September and tried to go back on them.  She had a horrendous time over 4 weeks trying to get back on them - all side effects under the sun and impossible and GP told her to take half over 4 days and then stop. Virtually cold turkey.  She has been off it about 5 or 6 weeks now and so ill since then - extreme anxiety, sweating, insomnia,  heart palpitatios, depression , hospital twice.  they gave her Propranolol to use as and when but that caused issues in itself.  Their only suggestion is to try a different AD that works differently (Mitrazipine). She is terrified to try it in case the same thing happens and just doesn't know what to do.
I am so worried for her

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 10:28:51 AM »

?? Ger ??

GPs/Psychiatrists have access to much smaller doses than is usually available to patients to enable withdrawal.  It took me 9 weeks to taper - can't remember which AD.  Not pleasant but once I realised that the side effects didn't get worse and actually eased within 24 hours, I coped.

Stella2

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 08:20:12 AM »

Hi CherryC,

I was on Mirtazapine for 6 months only and had horrible withdrawal symptoms that caused anxiety and panic attacks. Afterwards I changed my lifestyle completely and with help of supplements, meditation, CBT and lots of reading I started feeling better. I read later about Mirtazapine and would not recommend it, but that's only my experience.  Occasional Diazepam helped with anxiety was at it's peak, Propanol didn't do to much for me, but I only took it occasionally what seems not to be enough.
I am sure that Mirtazapine and other AD can help some, but for me, after my experience, I decided never to go back. Although it was very hard to go through withdrawal, the thought of doing it again was worse than anything for me.
If I were you, I would read a bit more about specific AD's and withdrawal and make a decision, I understand your sister's worries. Possibly addition of testosterone to her HRT could help, there are quite a few treads here about this. x

J butler

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2023, 03:54:58 PM »

I do feel for you ,I was exactly  like you post menoupause  7 years ,tried hrt not for me i already take amitriptyline ,and pain killers due to arthritis  in my spine ,I was on 20mg citalopram  for 2 years and felt it had not done anything  to help my anxiety  ,panic attacks ,so my gp suggested  sertraline 50mg  and slowly  increasing  to 100mg  which I'm on now its not perfect  but feel its better than the citalopram ,I have vailum when needed but thats for my back hopefully  your gp is understanding  and you will fine the right medication .

Minusminnie

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2023, 05:52:31 PM »

I am so worried for her

GPs/Psychiatrists have access to much smaller doses than is usually available

Family member has been offered liquid form in order to taper off their medication by gradually lowering doses.  It took a private appointment with a psychiatrist to instigate that.

Just looked up and Citalopram can come in a liquid form.

CherryC

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 02:41:41 PM »

Thank you all for your really helpful comments - I will try to come back with an update.