Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause, HRT (evorel patches/utrogestan daily) and short, v sore cycles  (Read 1139 times)

EllieT

• First Flush

Hi. I'm not having much luck speaking to GP and am struggling a bit.

I'm 53 years old and have been on HRT for a couple of years now. I started on Evorel sequi but had even worse PMS so was switched to the 25 mg patches along with utrogestan with a break each month. I carried on having bleeds, at fairly random intervals.

About 7 months ago pharamacist on phone said that I should switch to daily utrogestan 100mg as I'd been on HRT for a while. I did explain that I still had my own hormonal cycle of sorts but she said this would be find. Evorel was also increased to 50mg daily. I was told I might have some bleeding but then it should stop. I bled for 5 weeks and then had a gap, but I'm getting bleeds on a cycle of 17-24 days. And they are SO PAINFUL! The last episode left me completely incapacitated with pain and vomiting and I've just started again, 24 days later and with a busy weekend that I can't cancel.

I don't know if it's because I'm taking too much of something, too little of something, shouldn't be taking anything at all.... I always did really badly on combined contraceptive pill in terms of mood changes so wonder if I'm not great with hormones in general!

Anyone have any wisdom for me please?

pauline.philbin

• First Flush

Hi There sorry Its late, I am 50 and started on combined HRT nearly just over a year ago, this didnt work for me and also didnt realise that as I had mirena coil in didnt need progesterone 🙈 switched to evorel 25mg patches a few months later which did help abit to begin with was upped to 50mg and now not feeling great either feel worse have really bad silent reflux, boobs heavy and itchy they have got big and have put weight on esp around middle and feel really down dont know what to do have appt with GP this week xx

Pater01

Maybe you were not ready for the continuous regime.  I hear a lot of ladies go back to the regime with a break in progestrone.  I guess if you were happy on that then no harm going back to it.  With regards to increase in patch I guess that might settle.  50mg is seen as the standard dose, but if you were happy on the 25mg you could go back.  I am just starting the 75mg patch and utrogeston 2 weeks on/off, I am only 47 so I dont think I am ready for continuous yet.  But would love to be bleed free.  Hope you feel better soon.