Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Sandrena instead of Estrogel  (Read 1928 times)

HaRuHaRu

Sandrena instead of Estrogel
« on: December 01, 2023, 07:02:28 PM »

Hi everyone

I’m going to try Sandrena gel instead of Estrogel as I cannot cope with the continued stress of trying to get hold of the larger bottles.

There’s conflicting info on what the equivalent dose is. I’ve searched and it seems to be a confusion going back a while. Has anyone ever solved this? 

One conversion chart says: 
4 pumps of oestrogel =100mcg oestrogen patch = 2 x 1mg Sandrena gel sachets.

But in terms of equivalence:
It seems 4 pumps of estrogel = 3mg, so logistically 3 x 1mg Sandrena sachets = 3mg is equivalent to 4 pumps?

Has anyone ever got to the bottom of this? Or have personal experience of switching from Estrogel to Sandrena?

Thanks. Xx

Sue1972

Re: Sandrena instead of Estrogel
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 09:36:17 PM »

Hi HaRuHaRu.

This was tweeted by Dr Louise Newsome.

1. Two pumps of Oestrogel is roughly equal to 2-3 sprays of Lenzetto
2. Two pumps of Oestrogel is roughly equal to 50mcg patch
3. Two pumps of Oestrogel is roughly equal to 1mg estrogen only tablet
4. Two pumps of Oestrogel is roughly equal to 1 sachet of 1mg Sandrena gel
5. Estrogen patches, gel or spray are usually preferred over tablets as tablets have a small risk of clot
6. Estrogen only gel can be used with either Utrogestan progesterone tablets or Mirena IUS, (see below) for women who still have a womb

I switched from 3 pumps of Oestrogel due to the new bottles to 1.5 sachets of Sandrena and it seems to work for me.

I hope this helps. x

Banjo1973

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 10:05:07 PM »

Hi everyone

I’m going to try Sandrena gel instead of Estrogel as I cannot cope with the continued stress of trying to get hold of the larger bottles.

There’s conflicting info on what the equivalent dose is. I’ve searched and it seems to be a confusion going back a while. Has anyone ever solved this? 

It seems 4 pumps of estrogel = 3mg, so logistically 3 x 1mg Sandrena sachets = 3mg is equivalent to 4 pumps?

Has anyone ever got to the bottom of this? Or have personal experience of switching from Estrogel to Sandrena?

Thanks. Xx

I think it's a bit of trial and error. I too was receiving the
2 pumps = 1mg message, but in terms of estradiol, those figures don't add up. So I'm guessing it's down to absorption?

My experience is....

I was very happy on 3 pumps of 'old' oestrogel. I persisted with new oestrogel but it didsbury work for me.

Ive been on Sandrena for a few weeks now. I love it, I started with 2 sachets, went down to 1.5, but started being a bit foggy...

So my winning combination is 2 sachets per day, ideally split. On working days 1.5 sachets at around 6.30am 0.5 sachet at roughly 6pm.

Non working days 1 sachet morning, 1 sachet evening.

This seems to work for me. I never had to split doses with Oestrogel, but for me Sandrena works best like this.

Good luck x

HaRuHaRu

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 06:18:19 PM »

Hi HaRuHaRu.

This was tweeted by Dr Louise Newsome.

1. Two pumps of Oestrogel is roughly equal to 2-3 sprays of Lenzetto
2. Two pumps of Oestrogel is roughly equal to 50mcg patch
3. Two pumps of Oestrogel is roughly equal to 1mg estrogen only tablet
4. Two pumps of Oestrogel is roughly equal to 1 sachet of 1mg Sandrena gel
5. Estrogen patches, gel or spray are usually preferred over tablets as tablets have a small risk of clot
6. Estrogen only gel can be used with either Utrogestan progesterone tablets or Mirena IUS, (see below) for women who still have a womb

I switched from 3 pumps of Oestrogel due to the new bottles to 1.5 sachets of Sandrena and it seems to work for me.

I hope this helps. x

Thanks Sue1972 it sounds like what’s worked for you is in line with the conversion chart that I was looking at of 4 pumps being equivalent to 2 x 1 mg sachets, rather than the thinking of matching mg for mg.

HaRuHaRu

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 06:40:47 PM »

Hi everyone

Thanks. Xx

I think it's a bit of trial and error. I too was receiving the
2 pumps = 1mg message, but in terms of estradiol, those figures don't add up. So I'm guessing it's down to absorption?

My experience is....

I was very happy on 3 pumps of 'old' oestrogel. I persisted with new oestrogel but it didsbury work for me.

Ive been on Sandrena for a few weeks now. I love it, I started with 2 sachets, went down to 1.5, but started being a bit foggy...

So my winning combination is 2 sachets per day, ideally split. On working days 1.5 sachets at around 6.30am 0.5 sachet at roughly 6pm.

Non working days 1 sachet morning, 1 sachet evening.

This seems to work for me. I never had to split doses with Oestrogel, but for me Sandrena works best like this.

Good luck x

Thanks Banjo1973

That’s great and reassuring that you’re loving Sandrena gel after switching. Interesting that you prefer to split it when you didn’t with Estrogel. I always felt awful when I tried to use Estrogel in the morning so I only use it once at night.

I’m struggling to get my foggy head around 3 pumps = 2 sachets. I think that means what’s worked for you is inbetween the conversion chart that doesn’t make sense and the logical idea of swapping mg for mg?!?

I’m very nervous about upsetting my hormone balance in case it makes my PMDD symptoms worse. But currently my baseline anxiety is very high so I guess I need to bite the bullet and start somewhere.

I dunno. Nothing is ever straight forward in HRT-land.

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 08:47:40 AM »

In my experience the dose in the medicine isn't as important as how much it's absorbed through your skin and that is very individual for the person and that medicine.

I found one pump of oestrogel so strong my head spun at first, it stopped the flushes dead in their tracks. That was after the Evorel50 patches only made me itchy and had zero oestrogenic effects for me.

HaRuHaRu

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 10:20:26 AM »

In my experience the dose in the medicine isn't as important as how much it's absorbed through your skin and that is very individual for the person and that medicine.

I found one pump of oestrogel so strong my head spun at first, it stopped the flushes dead in their tracks. That was after the Evorel50 patches only made me itchy and had zero oestrogenic effects for me.

Thanks pastie supper (great name!) I guess i’m looking for personal experiences to get an idea of what’s worked for people who’ve been through the same switch, even though I know it’s very individual it’s useful for me to have an idea.