Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ovestin  (Read 4569 times)

Jules

Re: Ovestin
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2023, 08:28:14 AM »

It has to be, its just applied in a different way. I wonder if I'll reach a stage when it's not enough, not keeping up with the aging. I really wish I didn't need to use it.

That worry worm gets in my head too and i have to park it.  I rely especially on ovestin on the vulva area.  Dearly wish i could get hold of estradiol cream.
[/quote]

Is that different? I'm using ovestin around the vulva too. Atrophy basically.  Its making a difference,  slowly. My GP said I'd have to use vaginal estrogen for life or ifld keep getting UTIs. I'd definitely opt to be a man if I had another go.

Minusminnie

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2023, 08:52:23 AM »

It has to be, its just applied in a different way. I wonder if I'll reach a stage when it's not enough, not keeping up with the aging. I really wish I didn't need to use it.

That worry worm gets in my head too and i have to park it.  I rely especially on ovestin on the vulva area.  Dearly wish i could get hold of estradiol cream.

Is that different? I'm using ovestin around the vulva too. Atrophy basically.  Its making a difference,  slowly. My GP said I'd have to use vaginal estrogen for life or ifld keep getting UTIs. I'd definitely opt to be a man if I had another go.
[/quote]

Yes Ovestin is estriol. You can get Estradiol cream in the US called Estrace it think. I am going to look at europe to see if i can get it when i've got some time. 

Jules

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2023, 09:09:54 AM »

What's the difference between estriol and estradiol?

Ayesha

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2023, 05:14:57 PM »

Estradiol is the most potent of the oestrogen hormones produced by the body.

I find Ovestin, Vagifem to be suffice for treating VA and as long as the treatment is continued it will keep working, I don't think there will come a time when it stops working, considering I am over 70 I am not having any problems with the treatment.

Jules

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2023, 05:47:13 PM »

Estradiol is the most potent of the oestrogen hormones produced by the body.

I find Ovestin, Vagifem to be suffice for treating VA and as long as the treatment is continued it will keep working, I don't think there will come a time when it stops working, considering I am over 70 I am not having any problems with the treatment.

Ok. It does take a while to get a grip on it so it makes a nonsense of the original advice to break after a few weeks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2023, 06:31:27 PM »

One doesn't need a break from VA treatment. Ever.   1 can break if it's felt necessary to see whether the treatment is required, however.  Medics should not be suggesting it!

Jules

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2023, 06:37:55 PM »

One doesn't need a break from VA treatment. Ever.   1 can break if it's felt necessary to see whether the treatment is required, however.  Medics should not be suggesting it!
Yeh I think most have changed that advice. I know it was originally but my GPs certainly don't, they prescribe continually

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2023, 07:03:07 PM »

Dr Newson is trying to get the leaflet wordings in VA treatment boxes.  Although it's HRT it's far easier to get into a routine that suits each vulva/vagina.  I found that once I found a regime that suits, I have stuck to it.  My GP has never suggested taking a break. 

Jules

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2023, 08:35:44 PM »

Dr Newson is trying to get the leaflet wordings in VA treatment boxes.  Although it's HRT it's far easier to get into a routine that suits each vulva/vagina.  I found that once I found a regime that suits, I have stuck to it.  My GP has never suggested taking a break.

They have to follow the guidelines otherwise they could end up being sued for professional negligence  but now the guidance has changed they should all be up to date

fiftyplus

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2023, 09:19:54 PM »

@Ayesa that is re-assuring advice you have given - may I ask how long you have been taking ovestin?  I am not being nosey just curious as this is all new to me and it is ovestin I take myself

Ayesha

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2023, 10:27:27 PM »

I am approximately two years into using both Vagifem and Ovestin with a moisturiser daily. I got to the chronic stage of VA before I realised what was happening but with constant treatment it is no longer an issue for me as long as I keep up with the treatment.

I started a thread on my experience to help others and it resulted in very informative posts on VA. Hope the link works!
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64837.msg895647.html#msg895647

Jules

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2023, 10:19:47 PM »

Have you been able to use less now Ayesha?

Ayesha

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2023, 10:39:19 PM »

Yes, I have been able to get down to 5 a week just lately. But I will say that if I have a bad week, like stress caused by the process of selling our house for instance, its surprising how it affects your whole body and bring on a slight flare up, but they are very mild now compared to a year ago. The treatment is working well thank goodness!

Jules

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2023, 11:50:42 PM »

Yes, I have been able to get down to 5 a week just lately. But I will say that if I have a bad week, like stress caused by the process of selling our house for instance, its surprising how it affects your whole body and bring on a slight flare up, but they are very mild now compared to a year ago. The treatment is working well thank goodness!
And ovestin too? I'm using vagifem or equivalent alternate nights so I guess that's 3 or 4 a week but ovestin nightly.

Ayesha

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2023, 11:24:29 AM »

Yes, I am also leaving out using Ovestin, which I only use half a pea size topically so shouldn't make a difference, hopefully, but still experimenting and seeing how it goes after a long time of using both treatments every day.

One thing I won't leave out is the moisturiser, that is extremely important to use daily in my opinion  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3