Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Breast lump freaking out  (Read 2425 times)

Drama

Breast lump freaking out
« on: December 08, 2023, 10:27:09 AM »

Hi has anyone had any experience of benign breast lumps after the age of 54 approximately 18 months post menopause? I have a history of breast cysts but freaking out because I can feel a sort of lump now and everything I read states it’s less possible to be a cyst post menopause? Last mammogram 9 months ago all ok apart from 2 small benign cysts! Also don’t take HRT. Thank you in advance.

jaypo

Re: Breast lump freaking out
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 11:34:45 AM »

Don't read stuff on google,it is perfectly normal to get breast cysts post meno,in fact they are very common,I'm constantly getting them,the trick is to know the difference,if you look at the nhs site,I'm sure it tells you on there how to recognise them. Cysts can vary in size and are usually smooth and they can slide about under the fingers,anything nasty is usually hard and stays put BUT get it checked out and please let me know how you get on. Don't keep pressing on it or it will get sore,I've had them drained in the past but it's not really necessary in most cases

Jules

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 12:00:35 PM »

I had breast cysts aspirated for 10 years when I was younger. Last one mid 50s. I used to go every 3 months for checks and he'd find one every time. They were usually tender, often why I noticed.

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 12:46:01 PM »

Breast cysts are very common.  I've got one and it changes size every year. They are just sacks of water and easily detectable with ultrasound.

I'm not sure when mine first appeared but probably late 40s in peri menopause when oestrogen levels were fluctuating. It didn't show up in my first mammogram in 2000 aged 39 but the technology has improved and now my cyst shows up on mammograms. I was quite alarmed at first thinking it could turn into something sinister but I was assured that breast cysts are completely benign.

I think breast cysts are more common with women using HRT but not particularly unusual for post menopause women who are not.

Will you be having an ultrasound?

Drama

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 12:49:40 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I can’t get a GP appointment today got to wait until Monday. This weekend is going to be horrendous. My anxiety is through the roof then if it’s 2 weeks for mammogram that’s Christmas absolute nightmare!

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 01:08:55 PM »

I was absolutely convinced my last one was BC, felt a bit of a fool really when they said it was a cyst after all that worry. They told me that some women are prone to them so as you've had them before there's a greater chance it's another one. I know I didn't take my own advice but - try not to worry 🤐. And good luck with your appointment, I hope you can get seen soon.

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 02:33:16 PM »

Ha,like Sheila I can't follow my own advice as health anxiety is crippling but it is REALLY likely that it's a cyst,so try not worry and ruin Christmas (that's the advice I don't follow for myself) is there any chance you can go private? I did and it wasn't that expensive,not for peace of mind at least

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 03:10:57 PM »

...... and breath.  What ever it is it won't kill you overnight!  Most of these lumps are cysts.  Very rarely do breast lumps 'take over' rapidly.

Over the weekend make a list of your worries to take to the appt to discuss.  R U able to take a cancellation should some1 not want their mammogram appt. as it's close to C.mas?   

Don't keep prodding the area either!  My lump in 1995 was found on palpation, removed: radiation treatment for 4 weeks and regular follow ups.  Still here!  Many people 'live with' cancer rather than dying from it.