Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Personal care Alarm  (Read 5878 times)

annieb

Personal care Alarm
« on: November 30, 2023, 07:50:07 PM »

Not strictly menopause but as many on here may have elderly relatives I'm hoping someone may be able to help.
My parents are in their 90s ,  they still live in the family home and Mum manages well.  Dad has serious mobility issues and is becoming anxious that Mum might fall in another part of the house and he will not be able to get to her.  He's not great with the phone now either
We think one of these personal alarms would be a good idea so that if she does fall she will be able to press the alarm (worn on the wrist I think) and summon help. This would also give Dad reassurance
have been looking at various ones on the internet but it is a bit of a minefield
Does anyone have an experience of these or recommendations
Thanks x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Personal care Alarm
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 07:55:09 PM »

Mum had 1 fitted whilst living alone.  She had 1 on the wrist, however: when she draped the Tea-towels over her arm on the way to hanging them on the line, she would set off the alarm  ::).  Also the phone was on a table, instead of on the floor which is where she finished up after a fall.  So was unable to reach the phone to call for help as the wrist alarm was by the bed!

Have a lookC at AgeUK, there is a charge and would your parents be able to have 1 without paying anything?  I don't understand the charging systems between the various companies.

My Mum had a mobile but didn't really understand it and of course, it would probably be put somewhere that again, she couldn't access it!

Social services may be able to give advice too.  I know that some have a 'dedicated person' who the contact centre will get in touch with so someone who is able, with a car and living close by might be wise.

Let us know how you get on.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 10:00:10 PM »

If you live close by or have neighbours who will help there's a cheaper option. You can buy a phone that you can prerecord a message on and three phone numbers to ring when the alarm is pressed. AgeUK wanted a fortune for their service and if I remember correctly all they did was ring you anyway.

annieb

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 10:23:48 PM »

CLKD - that's one of my concerns - false calls when Dad presses things by mistake
Sheila99 -  we are not far away so a family member can get there easily - I've never heard of a phone where you pre-record message to send out - mind you I'm not very techy - are they are particular sort - how are they connected to an alarm.  Certainly sounds like a great idea

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 05:57:45 AM »

We used carelink, run by the local authority for when we were out and mum home alone (she lived with us). It was on a fob around her neck and she did set it off a few times over about 7 years. However, worse than that was that she'd lose it or forget to put it on again. A wrist one sounds better in that respect but potentially easier to activate accidentally. There are high tech ones these days that can detect a sudden drop in height and are better for falls. However what worked best for us was my mum always wore cardigans with pockets and carried a basic mobile with her so she could call us. That helped a few times in the night when she was unwell. I like the phone with three numbers idea! Can't you get watches that can make calls these days too?

BTW we had to pay for the carelink alarm system, it was about £20 a month. We paid extra for them to firstly contact us. Then if they couldn't reach us, send someone to the house to help and call emergency services. They installed a key safe outside the house for that purpose. However, it doesn't sound like you'd need that if your dad is home.

Lovely though that they are both able to live at home and be together, even if it is worrying at times ❤️

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »

Also those that say "I'm not old enough to need one of those!"  ::)

And how often would they think to pick up the mobile?  The night that Mum fell she had 'nipped down for some water' ....... so alarm was on her bedside cabinet [long story short].  And she wasn't supposed to wear it in bed in case it set off .....

annieb

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 02:36:15 PM »

I did notice last time I visited that Mum was wearing a big cardigan with pockets ( not like her). Then I found her back up mobile phone under a chair in the corner where it had fallen out of the pocket.  !!!  She's very good with the mobile - has a basic back up Nokia and a smart phone but Dad has no idea.  We had thought about him having a mobile next to his chair. However he now has severe arthritis in his hands (as well as knees) and some sight issues /dementia issues so getting him to use a mobile is going to be extremely difficult .
I have found something for Android phones that looks to be what Sheila99 was referring to so will get hubby to have a read of that as it looks a bit complicated to me .
I do consider myself lucky for the fact that I have both parents still living semi independently. I guess no matter what we do we can't cover every  eventuality as the theme seems to be that the one time something does happen the "emergency" alarm or phone is never going to be where it should be 

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 02:55:20 PM »

Let us know how you get on. 

No need to confuse your Dad, there's choice on the market.  U could look at mobility companies too. 

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 03:44:06 PM »

I did notice last time I visited that Mum was wearing a big cardigan with pockets ( not like her). Then I found her back up mobile phone under a chair in the corner where it had fallen out of the pocket.  !!!  She's very good with the mobile - has a basic back up Nokia and a smart phone but Dad has no idea.  We had thought about him having a mobile next to his chair. However he now has severe arthritis in his hands (as well as knees) and some sight issues /dementia issues so getting him to use a mobile is going to be extremely difficult .
I have found something for Android phones that looks to be what Sheila99 was referring to so will get hubby to have a read of that as it looks a bit complicated to me .
I do consider myself lucky for the fact that I have both parents still living semi independently. I guess no matter what we do we can't cover every  eventuality as the theme seems to be that the one time something does happen the "emergency" alarm or phone is never going to be where it should be

What about getting a lanyard so she could put it in a little pouch and hang it around her neck?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2024, 07:49:02 PM »

:bouncing: