Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 20 years post menopause - anyone else?  (Read 5259 times)

Lynney

• First Flush
20 years post menopause - anyone else?
« on: December 13, 2023, 08:18:19 PM »

I’m a newbie.
Anyone here 20 years post menopause? No HRT previously but I have osteoporosis and have been advised to consider it now.
There are schools of thought that it’s risky 10yrs post but then I worry about my bones! Any help please.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 20 years post menopause - anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 09:15:50 AM »

Hi!  welcome.

Maybe consider your over all diet and exercise regime.  Brisk walking 10 mins a day can help maintain bone density.

Also check if you take any regular medication as a few may affect density. 

Also, have a lookC at the Osteoporosis UK support group.  Let us know how you get on.

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 09:47:49 AM »

Yes I am 20 yrs post menopause but started meno in my 30s. Not sure if that counts. I dont intend giving it up ever, if I can help it. :-\

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 05:42:55 PM »

I thought the 'window of opportunity' for the most benefit is within 10 years of meno? Using transdermal hrt the risk is very small and less than if you drink, smoke or are overweight. It's important to start low and increase slowly though so your body has time to adjust. Given how bad osteoporosis is imo it's worth trying.

Ceebee

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 05:56:59 PM »

I am 15yrs post meno (age 68) and also have recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Tried a bisphosphonate and could not tolerate it so decided to try hrt. My GP supported me and started late Oct with Evorel 25 patch and 100mg utrogestan (progesterone) but had problems with the latter (nocturia, dry mouth, high body temp) and nearly gave up.

GP next gave me Evorel Conti (mixed E+P). I am trying that very gingerly with a half patch first. I have been told that until my E builds up P can often give symptoms.

It's a whole lot of trial and error since we're all so different but the upside is that when I used Evorel 25 on its own (which you can't do for long if you have a womb) I slept like a lamb the first time for years and unexpectedly, aches and pains eased! This (and the bone protection etc) is keeping me motivated. I hope this helps you with your decision.

Lynney

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 08:07:37 AM »

I am 15yrs post meno (age 68) and also have recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Tried a bisphosphonate and could not tolerate it so decided to try hrt. My GP supported me and started late Oct with Evorel 25 patch and 100mg utrogestan (progesterone) but had problems with the latter (nocturia, dry mouth, high body temp) and nearly gave up.

GP next gave me Evorel Conti (mixed E+P). I am trying that very gingerly with a half patch first. I have been told that until my E builds up P can often give symptoms.

It's a whole lot of trial and error since we're all so different but the upside is that when I used Evorel 25 on its own (which you can't do for long if you have a womb) I slept like a lamb the first time for years and unexpectedly, aches and pains eased! This (and the bone protection etc) is keeping me motivated. I hope this helps you with your decision.

Thank you. That’s really helpful. I’ve been nervous of the Utrogestan as the side effects look grim. I did trial natural progesterone (Serenity) many years back, and I’m toying with the idea of using that alongside the oestrogel.

Stella2

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 08:35:29 AM »

Hi Lynney,

Not everyone suffers from side effects from Utrogestan and for many it can be calming and beneficial, hopefully it will be for you too.

Petra

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 03:45:45 AM »

Gee, I didn't even know that docs were now prescribing HRT for osteoporosis. After all the scare stories, they're admitting there are benefits from it? That's interesting.

Ceebee

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 04:36:52 PM »

Petra, even the Royal Osteoporosis Society recommend it as a valid treatment. Times have changed since I was whipped off it after 5 years in the early 2000s!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 04:38:58 PM by Ceebee »

Petra

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 04:40:51 AM »

So what HRT dosage helps prevent osteoporosis...or does it vary?

Ceebee

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 01:38:20 PM »

So what HRT dosage helps prevent osteoporosis...or does it vary?
Good question! Not sure about prevention since that's too late for me; but for protection and possible minimal improvement I've read different things.
I've heard a really low dose of estrogen (<25mcg) gives some protection but many on Facebook have been told by specilasts that a minimum blood level of 250pmol/L is necessary. My GP told me I need a 50mcg patch at least. So that's what I'm on.

Petra

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 10:39:34 PM »

Thanks Ceebee. I'm on 50 mcg patches, too. I have very low estrogen blood levels but I really can't handle higher doses of estrogen and the higher progesterone that comes with it (I tried that, all the way up to 100mcg patches...I may not have stuck with it long enough...just hated it), so I'll just have to hope it's enough to help my bones.

50 mcg is just right to cope with my meno symptoms (night sweats, insomnia, morning anxiety)... It's tough enough getting the dose right for the meno symptoms let alone trying to take bone density into the mix, so I'm just going to flag that one. (I'm 61.)