Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vagifem and spotting  (Read 1736 times)

patches1972

Vagifem and spotting
« on: November 28, 2023, 03:30:11 PM »

Hi lovely ladies
My new GP prescribed Vagifem for soreness and VA. I have never been on any kind of HRT before. I am 66 and am well through the menopause. I did the loading dose for 2 weeks then 2 days the next week as prescribed. However, the 2 days after that I had some darkish dsicharge/spotting. Not much at all  and it stopped  after 2 days . Now I have pelvic pain/discomfort which feels a bit like period type pain very low down. I am due to see my GP next week and looking at the side effects of Vagifem this isn't unusual but should I carry on with Vagifem (due to do tomorrow) or not insert any and wait to see the GP? I am hoping this is just a reaction to the estrogen
on my body and it will settle down as I would like to carry on. Any one had these issues at the start?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem and spotting
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 03:33:36 PM »

I believe that some do get headaches or a 'show' in the first few weeks of using 'vagifem'.  After the initially loading as the tissues plump up, absorption is less likely to 'migrate'.  Also the tissues in that area may become very thin = tearing and a discharge.  Do U think that twice a week is enough treatment at this stage?

Some require VA treatment nightly.  It can be Trial and Error until the vagina becomes comfy.  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there  >:(

patches1972

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 03:40:06 PM »

I don't know as I am just going off what it says on the box. As this is my first time I was just going to see how I went on. I was just concerned by the slight spotting but on looking it up it says it can be a side effect

Jules

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 04:30:33 PM »

I had it. I was 63, no HRT before.  My spotting was after 3 months. I was advised to stop, given an examination and had an ultrasound,  all was well but it frightened me so I didn't use it again for another year, managed with replens but then the VA had worsened withouttreatmentso i tried again, the second time i got breast pain then recently i had a bit of blood so another exam and ultrasound, again all well. I've increased the dose and I'm ok, no side effects. The problem with VA treatment when you're aging is the VA increases and  the original dose isn't always enough, you're fighting back the tide.

suzysunday

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 08:47:11 PM »

So what can be done if local hrt becomes inadequate, say if you were using it most days?

Jules

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 11:38:56 PM »

So what can be done if local hrt becomes inadequate, say if you were using it most days?

I don't know.  I've not got to that stage. Im doing every other night but ovestin externally every night. Im a little anxious though about doing that. My GP told me they can never give the amount of estrogen that has been lost. I wonder if it plateaus?

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 01:23:58 PM »

Use Vagifem everyday plus another local estrogen like Ovestin every day externally, plus moisturiser. If that's not enough then full HRT as well. I've used Vagifem twice a day sometimes if needed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 01:25:41 PM by Dierdre »

Jules

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 07:34:49 PM »

Use Vagifem everyday plus another local estrogen like Ovestin every day externally, plus moisturiser. If that's not enough then full HRT as well. I've used Vagifem twice a day sometimes if needed.

I don't think full HRT necessarily treats VA though. How long have you been using vagifem?

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2023, 08:52:40 PM »

I've been using it for 8 years now and will need it for life.
Full HRT is all some need but usually are taking it for other meno symtoms too, others need local estrogen aswell and most manage on just local estrogen if their only problem is VA.

Jules

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2023, 10:09:26 PM »

I've only used localised estrogen. I'd rather not have to use anything but such is life