Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil as part of HRT following post menopausal bleed  (Read 3235 times)

DebbieJayne

• First Flush
Mirena coil as part of HRT following post menopausal bleed
« on: November 28, 2023, 10:09:47 PM »

Hi
since 2019 I have had 4 PMBs with polyps being removed on the first two occasions. The one I had in July this year was put down to HRT and I came off it for a while until my symptoms returned and i went back on HRT. I was on Utrogestan and oestrogen gel.  I have recently had another bleed, only 4 months since the last one. Previously there was 2 years between each bleed. I saw the gynaecologist two days ago and she recommended the Mirena coil (progesterone) and oestrogen patches but said to have a think about it.  I'm due to have a hysteroscopy tomorrow. I'm wondering whether  to try and stay off HRT because it seems to have caused the last two bleeds,  although from what the gynaecologist implied, by having the coil it is directing the progesterone directly at the womb, reducing the chances of the womb lining thickening. Has anyone else been recommended the Mirena coil post bleed and how did you get on with it?

sheila99

Re: Mirena coil as part of HRT following post menopausal bleed
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 10:14:05 PM »

I haven't used one but it's usually the best option for problem bleeding. You can use the search function for previous posts but it seems to be like everything hrt, some people think it's wonderful, a few have problems with it. Another option would be to double the dose or utrogeston if you can tolerate it.

omega4ever

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 11:11:29 PM »

Hope the hysteroscopy goes well tomorrow.

I'm in a similar position... waiting for  hysteroscopy  due to PMB and have been offered a mirena coil at the same time.... but I'm really not keen...and would rather remain on Oral utrogeston ,perhaps increasing dose.

It's so hard to get good jnfo . 

I hope all goes well for you.

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 07:48:34 AM »

I had a mirena fitted a couple of weeks ago due to sudden, heavy PMB after a year on HRT. I've been post meno for 7 years.

Scan and biopsy all good but slightly thickened lining.  Gynaecologist suggested doubling dose of Utrogestan or a mirena as I wasn't absorbing progesterone very well via the oral route.

I definitely wanted to stay on HRT as the pros far outweigh the cons for me. I did some research and had a long chat with the Meno nurse, asked lots of questions and decided to give the mirena a go.

Fitting was uncomfortable but not painful as such and not too bad.  Had cramps for a couple of days and a little spotting.  Nothing for a week or two and now some  very slight spotting. No cramps and I wouldn't know it was there.

It's early days but so far so good. Hope that helps.

Suziemc

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 08:18:34 AM »

My experience is similar to Dazedandconfused. Was 59, post meno 9yrs, started hrt and had PMB after about 10mths. Scan showed no issues but slightly thickened lining, coil recommended and I decided to go for it (had one in 1980s, didn't get on with it but was assured diff now!). 

Had Mirena inserted at same time as hysteroscopy and biopsy back in Jan this year, like Dazed I found it a bit uncomfortable but not too much so. No discomfort at all afterwards but I did have spotting for 6 months, not all the time and in decreasing amounts - I kind of put it down to that thickened lining shedding.

Now I wouldn't know it was there. It's one less tablet to take and no messing with timings for empty stomach!  For me the benefits of Oestrogel mean there's no way I'd want to give up HRT but we are all different. Also bear in mind that the coil can be taken out again if you don't get on with it.

Hope your hysteroscopy goes well.

DebbieJayne

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 06:44:14 PM »

Hi all
Well hysteroscopy done and a routine biopsy taken. I also decided to have the Mirena coil inserted after a long chat with the lovely consultant. She answered all my questions and as she said as I was there it could be inserted today, saving me another procedure. I realised that I've been having symptoms since I stopped the hrt when the bleed started, one being a feeling of anxiety which just isn't me. So as the Mirena is in the womb and delivering the progesterone to where it's needed, I'm hoping it will prevent further bleeding.

Grheliz1

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 05:17:37 PM »

Mirena was recommended for me when I developed polyps and bad bleeding. It worked brilliantly on the bleeding but unfortunately I could never get two clear hysteroscopies in a row and eventually they decided that my atypical hyperplasia/precancerous cells were sticking around and I had a hysterectomy. They think I had some genetic issue.

BUT, the Mirena was great for the bleeding and I wish I'd had one years earlier, when I was in peri-menopause. I listened to the negative stories. I didn't miss utrogestan at all when I swapped.