Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Evorel 25 and risk of blood/clots stokes  (Read 646 times)

Kooky958

• First Flush
Evorel 25 and risk of blood/clots stokes
« on: January 02, 2024, 12:12:46 PM »

I have been started on Evorel 25 for about a month for perimenopause symptoms. I have previously suffered severe migraines and headaches. After being on the patches around 3 weeks I have been suffering daily headaches. My pharmacist advised me to stop the patches as it put me at risk of blood clots and stokes?? I have history of migraines and family history of blood clots therefore was prescribed patches and not combined. I tried to look for information about blood clots and stroke on patches but most say it is combined hrt that cause risks? Can anyone clarify this?
Thanks

Joaniepat

Re: Evorel 25 and risk of blood/clots stokes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 04:21:44 PM »

Hi Kooky958, welcome to the Forum.
There is no increased clot risk with any of the transdermal oestrogen products (eg, patch, gel or spray), so the pharmacist is wrong. They may have had a point if you were taking oral HRT, where there might be a slight increase in risk. If you still have a uterus you should have been prescribed a separate progesterone as well. Sorry to hear you are experiencing daily headaches - perhaps this will settle down in time. It is recommended to give any regime 2 or 3 months to settle in and then review with your GP.
JP x

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 05:34:48 PM »

I have just been put on Evorel 25 because the practice nurse said the oral hrt increased risk with migraines.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 06:19:04 PM »

LOL - I have a migraine.  My patch is almost off  ::)

Kooky958

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 09:04:38 AM »

Thank you Jeaniepat. I did think she might be wrong. I am
Hopefully speaking to a GP today

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 09:39:08 AM »

Your GP will have to start you on a progestogen as well if you still have a womb, the NHS aren't allowed to give unopposed oestrogen, or I'd be first in the queue for it, lol.
Definitely ask the GP about it because unless you had a hysterectomy they made a mistake and Evorel 25 alone would increase your risk of endometrial problems.

Migraines are definitely related, in my case I had occasional migraines when I had periods, related to my cycle, but since menopause I'll only get migraines with HRT and I think it might have been Evorel was the worst one for doing it.