Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hysterectomy and HRT  (Read 646 times)

sues20101

• First Flush
Hysterectomy and HRT
« on: January 26, 2024, 10:30:39 AM »

Hi all,

I had a hysterectomy aged 42 and I'm now 57.  (I retained my overies.)  I've been on oestregen only HRT for around 5 years which has been very beneficial but during the last few years I've had worsening symptoms especially insomnia, anxiety, mood swings and general lack of motivation.  The NHS advice for women who've had a hysterectomy is to prescribe oestrogen only as it's thought that progestrone mainly affects the uterus.  However, I've read recently that progesterone has benefits beyond the uterus - there are progesterone receptors in the brain which would suggest that women who've had a hysterectomy may also need progresterone.  The symptoms of progestrone deficiency include anxiety, mood swings and insomnia which is what i'm experiencing.

I wondered if anyone had similar experiences and had been prescribed progestrone on the NHS after hysterectomy.  Also, has anyone tried bioidentical progesterone cream which can be purchased online.

Many thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hysterectomy and HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 11:35:16 AM »

Morning.   :welcomemm:  I am aware that your query has been discussed here, hopefully some1 will be along.

Browse round. Make notes ;-)

sues20101

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 11:53:48 AM »

Thank you  :)

Arya Underfoot

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 02:43:16 PM »

Hi Sues

I too have had a hysterectomy, retaining my ovaries. Before perimenopause, I had oestrogen dominance and took progesterone cream and found it very effective in improving my mood. I had the hysterectomy at the start of peri and insisted on continuing with the progesterone as I felt it improved my mood (I have tried various forms of oestrogen too, still trying to find the right one). It's been 6 years since the op and I still use progesterone 100mg (bio-identical), I prefer the tablet to the cream as you can develop a tolerance where you apply the cream, so if using make sure you apply it to as many different areas as possible, I found this out the hard way. I have a good GP, she doesn't see any harm in me continuing on progesterone if it makes me feel better. 
I definitely believe there is more to progesterone. I asked my menopause psychologist about it and she agrees that progesterone is good for me, it effects the brain and stomach, so I don't think there's anything wrong with taking it despite not having a uterus. Try it and see if it works for you, there's no harm.

sues20101

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 04:09:35 PM »

Thanks Arya, that's very helpful and re-assuring.

Winterose

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 09:34:33 PM »

Very interesting, I’ve always wondered about progesterone if you’ve had a hysterectomy.

Gnatty

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 10:30:24 PM »

I am in this position and I take progesterone even though I don't need to. I find it very calming. Also we can play about with our dose because we don't have a womb to protect. At the moment I take just one utrogestan every other day and that seems to suit. I might try one of the lower dose creams at some point and see how I get on with it.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 11:38:15 PM »

I agree with Arya. I think one thing to take into account is that oestrogen only hrt is considered to carry less breast cancer risk than combined hrt.  I had a hysterectomy in 2014 and haven't missed progesterone but then again it always made me feel as if I had PMS. Good luck on getting it prescribed and don't forget to let us know how it goes.

Taz x

sues20101

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 03:54:39 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I will try my GP and let you know how it goes xx