Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Gp won't let me start vaginal oestrogen  (Read 3260 times)

Northerngirl

Gp won't let me start vaginal oestrogen
« on: November 26, 2023, 03:12:25 PM »

My GP won't let me start on vaginal oestrogen until they receive the letter from the hospital stating that all was clear on my ct scan and cytoscopy....which they were.
Doctor at the hospital said I would probably benefit from vaginal oestrogen.....the wait is killing me and  I'm aware that it will get worse without treatment. These bladder issues have been going on for 7 weeks now and all I can use are the Yes products.
Does anyone know if this is standard procedure?

jaypo

Re: Gp won't let me start vaginal oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 03:18:41 PM »

I'm not sure they CAN refuse you if there is no reason to,especially as you can buy Gina from a pharmacy

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 03:33:41 PM »

Ring your Surgeries Practice manager in the morning and ask whether the results have reached the GP who is refusing your Prescription.  Also, ring the Hospital Dept to explain that the GP refuses to prescribe.  Why the GP can't ring the Dept to find out beggars belief!

Easier to refuse a patient what is required than pick up the phone ?  Makes my blood boil!  Would they do so with heart/diabetic patients?

Let us know how you get on.  It will depend on how old you R and whether you still have periods as to whether you can buy Gina OTC.

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 04:02:42 PM »

My GP won't let me start on vaginal oestrogen until they receive the letter from the hospital stating that all was clear on my ct scan and cytoscopy....which they were.
Doctor at the hospital said I would probably benefit from vaginal oestrogen.....the wait is killing me and  I'm aware that it will get worse without treatment. These bladder issues have been going on for 7 weeks now and all I can use are the Yes products.
Does anyone know if this is standard procedure?

Yes its standard procedure, a GP can't write a prescription until they receive the letter from the hospital. Your GP is being cautious but if more knowledgeable of VA I am sure he/she would write you a prescription.

The beauty of VA treatment is that you can buy it over the counter if you want to get ahead of the game, but you must be over 50.

Northerngirl

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 05:43:51 PM »

They say they need to see the hospital letter first to see if anything else has been said in case they prescribe the wrong treatment. Hopefully the letter will come soon. I am 55 and not had a period for over 10 years now. Like you say I could go to the pharmacy and buy Gina…. But why should I have to. I’ll keep you informed and thanks everyone for your help

LDP

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 06:08:10 PM »

Similar thing happened to me and I feel for you  it’s very upsetting.  I managed to get the consultant’s secretary to send me an email which I then sent a scan of to the GP practice in an e-consult form.  What a palaver but it worked. 

Northerngirl

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 06:00:58 PM »

Finally got sorted at the GPs today. Gave me some cream for VA so hopefully see an improvement in a few weeks ...fingers crossed.  I know it can take some  time  to  sort but at least  I feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you ladies for all your support recently.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 06:05:31 PM »

Tnx 4 the update.  Use as necessary: 2-3 weeks every night initially then every 3rd and 5/6th nights unless U require it more often.

Let us know how U get on ?

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2023, 06:14:30 PM »

Ring your Surgeries Practice manager in the morning and ask whether the results have reached the GP who is refusing your Prescription.  Also, ring the Hospital Dept to explain that the GP refuses to prescribe.  Why the GP can't ring the Dept to find out beggars belief!

Easier to refuse a patient what is required than pick up the phone ?  Makes my blood boil!  Would they do so with heart/diabetic patients?

Let us know how you get on.  It will depend on how old you R and whether you still have periods as to whether you can buy Gina OTC.
Ring a Practice manager  ;D Mr practice takes great care not to offer any way to contact the Practice manager at all. No email, no phone options

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2023, 07:40:08 PM »

Finally got sorted at the GPs today. Gave me some cream for VA so hopefully see an improvement in a few weeks ...fingers crossed.  I know it can take some  time  to  sort but at least  I feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you ladies for all your support recently.
Great northerngirl,hopefully it will help but do give it time  :)