Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Avrum Bluming - American Oncologist - HRT After BC  (Read 5477 times)

Wrensong

Re: Avrum Bluming - American Oncologist - HRT After BC
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2023, 07:25:17 PM »

Hi Ann
I would be most interested in what Prof Lesley Regan & Dr Tina Peers have to say.
I've looked this evening for the interviews I thought were from Dr Louise Newson's podcast series with Prof Lesley Regan & Dr Tina Peers in which their use of HRT after breast cancer was discussed.  I'm sorry I can't find either interview, both of which I know I had bookmarked.  I also googled for them & used the Newson Health website search facility, but frustratingly both drew a blank.

I will send you via PM links to some relevant interviews I did find though.  I'm not sure I can post some of these links here due to commercial content, so I'll just list them all for anyone who wants to google them & listen for themselves.  The first 2 are with Dr Peers & Prof Regan but not in interview with Dr Newson.

1) Taking HRT after breast cancer with Dr Tina Peers
The Latte Lounge

2) Postcards from Midlife
How to live a longer happier & healthier life with Dame Lesley Regan (interview starts 29 minutes in; HRT discussion starts 43 mins in)

3) Dr Louise Newson podcast no 138
Explaining what the evidence shows to offer choice to women after breast cancer, with Avrum Bluming

4) Dr Louise Newson podcast no 051 - Breast Cancer & Menopause - Dr Tony Branson

There are several other interviews on menopause & breast cancer with various authorities in the Newson Health podcast series for anyone who is interested.

Wx
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 09:10:21 AM by Wrensong »

Ann B

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2023, 03:36:14 PM »

Thanks for the refs Wrensong.

I found of them all that Dr Peers was the most informative, positive and ebullient on the subject.

Ann

Wrensong

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2023, 06:32:58 PM »

Yes, I agree Ann.

Clarella

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2023, 08:36:49 AM »

Hello all.

I’ve been absent for some time as was dx with hormone positive bc in July.

Op and tamoxifen and off the hrt  :'(

I was actually feeling better on less oestrogen but with testosterone.

I’m also on thyroxine and finding the balance of that hard at the moment.

Posting here as Tony was the oncologist I spoke to about my radio therapy - wish I’d googled him before the meeting!

He was neutrally positive about hrt. Also mentioned testosterone and that it could possibly reduce reoccurrence. and all data is poor.

I’ve considered pursuing all this. Seeing how I go at the moment with Liz O’Riordan’s exercise advice. Strength training seems particularly helpful.

Placemarking xx

Clarella

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2023, 08:43:16 AM »

To add, he said that body identical oestrogen appears to show no risk. And they didn’t think utrogestan did. And they used to use testosterone to prevent. But there’s just no hard research or evidence.

There are trials for using aromatase inhibitors with testosterone.

Branson said that the tamoxifen should block the oestrogen in the breast. (From hrt and or testosterone.) 

Liz sticks to the evidence religiously.

Wrensong

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2023, 10:41:11 AM »

Hi Clarella, I've only just caught up with this thread but have posted to you about your new situation on another thread a few days ago & sent you a PM.  I was so sorry to know about the BC & I agree we face difficult decisions in such circumstances & as you rightly say, there is not enough conclusive research to make treatment decisions with any real certainty.
Posting here as Tony was the oncologist I spoke to about my radio therapy - wish I’d googled him before the meeting!  He was neutrally positive about hrt. Also mentioned testosterone and that it could possibly reduce reoccurrence. and all data is poor.

There are trials for using aromatase inhibitors with testosterone.
Yes, I remember reading about a study where testosterone was used for menopause symptom relief in women post-BC on AIs for whom oestrogen was considered to be contraindicated.   This is not a recommendation of course, but here's a link to the study details.

https://ascopost.com/issues/october-15-2014/testosteroneanastrozole-implants-relieve-menopausal-symptoms-in-breast-cancer-survivors/

Rebecca Glaser has produced some very interesting work on testosterone. 

Good luck with the remainder of your treatment & I'm glad you're finding that exercise is helpful.
Wx
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 11:19:40 AM by Wrensong »
Pages: 1 [2]