Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estradot shortage  (Read 1050 times)

Peri2022

Estradot shortage
« on: November 21, 2023, 12:17:52 PM »

Pharmacist says they haven’t had Estradot for months and there’s no sign of any improvement. She’s given me Evorel to try but I’ve been on such a journey to get the right regime that I’m really reluctant to mess with it!

Has anyone been able to obtain Estradot privately in recent weeks, via Newson or elsewhere?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Estradot shortage
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 12:54:50 PM »

Have U contacted the Company who produces this?  Sometimes it's because the NHS won't pay what is being asked  :-\

Peri2022

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 01:33:56 PM »

Hi CLKD, I've only just come back from the chemist an hour ago so haven't had the chance to do any serious research. From what I can see online, Estradot 100mcg is now subject to a Serious Shortage Protocol here in Scotland. I take Estradot 50mcg but I can imagine that these are all probably gone now as people have tried to make up their 100mcg prescriptions.

I have made a Newson appointment anyway as I haven't had my HRT reviewed properly since I started it nearly a year ago so it's probably as good a time as any to touch base with them. I know I'm lucky to be able to afford it...I probably wouldn't be able to get a GP appointment for at least a month from now...might as well treat my ovaries to an early Christmas present  :-\

SarahT

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 01:39:14 PM »

No, in this case I wrote to the new manufacturers of estradot who are unable to source the ' ingredients ',  the latest I heard is it may be available in January. So they say... I have seen on here someone recommended Estraderm as a better substitute rather than Everol, that the ingredients are more similar. I haven't had anything but 2 boxes of 25s since August.. And I am on 125 strength so may be in serious trouble.

I have a various selection of estradot  patches which I am going to add up\cut up in the hope I can make do until estradot is back. It's very hard when you finally find a stable regime then fear all the work will become undone.

Peri2022

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 01:53:03 PM »

Hi SarahT, nice to hear from you. Yes, it's very destabilising and stressful isn't it, when you've worked hard to find an HRT regime that gets you out of a really dark place, and then suddenly you have to think about changing it. I will try the Everol if I really can't get anything else but even the thought of a worsening in my mood is scaring me, especially as it was exactly this time last year when I felt so low...must try to think positively and remember that this too shall pass, but it's bloody annoying. I'm also going to ransack every pocket in every handbag to see if I can rustle up any old Estradots. I know I've stashed a few for emergencies over the past year!

Newson are now offering discounted appointments for NHS/emergency services staff. Just putting that out there for anyone else who might fall into that category. Still expensive but every little helps!

SarahT

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 01:58:51 PM »

Hey Peri,

Yep, we're still here then doing the best we can with raging and somewhat unpredictable  hormones.  I seriously am seriously better than I was a few months ago, but still have that fear that it all going to come crashing down again. I too stashed all my old estradot patches away as so upped doses,thankfully so am just hoping I will have enough to last until stock is available again. Take care x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 02:52:29 PM »

This really isn't good enough  >:(.  Would this happen with heart or diabetic meds I wonder ? 

Let us know how you get on. 

Scampidoodle

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2023, 05:13:19 PM »

25mcg are generally available I believe. I know this would take a few of them to add up to 100 though!

Peri2022

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2023, 09:38:17 AM »

I think in Scotland there’s no Estradot at any dosage - so frustrating! I have enough to last until Xmas and then I will have to start using Evorel. Going to try to change patches every 4 days consistently instead of 3 then 4. I’m furious that women have to deal with this…grr!

Pippa52

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2023, 02:53:20 PM »

I feel your pain I really do.  My local pharmacist is unable to get Estradot patches but the Meno consultant I see once a year agreed to prescribe for me and sent them to the pharmacy she uses who had some in stock.  Like you I really do not want to change types of HRT again after nearly 3 years of hell trying to get the dose/type of medication right. 

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2023, 02:59:40 PM »

a letter to the new Health Minister mayB - who has been in post for all of a week  >:(

Peri2022

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2023, 04:30:06 PM »

Oh don’t worry CLKD. I’ve slrady got my ‘angry letter writing’ head on after sending my response to the new NICE draft guideline on meno treatment! The state of meno care in this country is slowly getting better but still shocking…