Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Continuous Progesterone  (Read 987 times)

Ama

Continuous Progesterone
« on: November 20, 2023, 12:43:12 PM »

I am perimenopausal and on Utrogestan 200 x 12 days in the cycle.  I want to change to continuous. Please can someone tell me if I can change to continuous whilst still being perimenopausal? TIA. 

CeCe

Re: Continuous Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 02:35:47 PM »

Hi AMA,

the straightforward answer is yes. HOWEVER, if you are perimenopausal you will have unexpected breakthrough bleeds, sometimes 2 or 3 times a month. The reason for sequential HRT is to control the bleeding to once a month. I was on continuous progesterone whilst peri menopausal to stop the migraines I had from progesterone withdrawal. The breakthrough bleeds were really annoying and sometimes so bad that I gave up altogether.

Ama

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 06:12:35 PM »

Thank you CeCe for sharing your experience: much appreciated. I thought that continuous would actually suppress the bleed, once it’s settled. Have you gone back to sequential? I hope that you are no longer getting the migraines.

Bandango42

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 08:24:39 PM »

Hi Ama

I'm on continuous progesterone and still in peri. I have been on this regime for 7 weeks now and had no breakthrough bleeding. I am having a period now but I believe it is an actual period and not breakthrough bleeding. Continuous won't suppress your cycle if you are still peri so you will probably still get periods if you are having cycles. I just wanted to let you know that I'd had no breakthrough bleeding so far.

Hope that helps xx

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 09:52:06 AM »

If you want to be bleed free your best option is a mirena.

FlowerPot

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 07:22:25 PM »

Hi, I am in peri and was still having fairly regular periods (apart from the odd missed one) and was put on continuous progesterone back in January - the idea being to suppress my cycle to help with the severe hormonal migraines I would get at the start of my period.

I had one very light bleed in March which lasted about 2wks but have had none since then.

So in that sense it has worked for me - though still getting the migraines unfortunately  :(