Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Lightbulb moment for me…  (Read 850 times)

Mrslolad

Lightbulb moment for me…
« on: November 22, 2023, 10:42:02 AM »

ESTROGEN DOMINANCE

We are told this is not a thing. But, if one hormone level is higher than another, does that not define ‘dominance’?

When we start peri the first hormone that drops is progesterone.  So it is quite possible that the anxiety, palpitations etc are caused by low progesterone (ergo higher estrogen)

All the accessible info says estrogen is the ‘feel good’ hormone so if you continue to experience anxiety etc just increase your dose.

But if your progesterone levels are too low to  balance the estrogen and you add more estrogen then you are just exacerbating the imbalance.

This is what happened to me. Too much estrogen gives me terrible anxiety, heart palpitations and nausea. 

I’ve only been able to discover this by keeping a journal for three months, documenting any and all symptoms, where I was in my cycle and how much of which hormone I was taking.

The few days I felt better was after a prolonged period of taking both estrogen and progesterone. Clearly when my hormones were actually ‘balanced’.  Looking back I was able to see that when I felt my most terrible was when I wasn’t taking progesterone and my estrogen levels had built up in my system. 

Am currently experimenting with changing my estrogen delivery to a continuous dose via the patch whilst on my progesterone cycle.   And when the progesterone cycle is over, if I feel bad, then I’ve been advised to cut a bit off my patch and lower the oestrogen dose.

Hopefully this is the start of finding my balance.  It’s been 18 months of hell and I am more than ready to get my life back.

Adding more estrogen was not the solution for me.  It’s clear I need estrogen but it’s even more clear that I am so sensitive to hormonal fluctuations  and estrogen dominance that I need to be BALANCED to function.

Perimenopause is so complicated. As is HRT. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, flat doses aren’t the solution for everyone. We need to be heard and supported whilst we navigate this rough journey.

Apologies for the long post. I just wanted to share. 

I’d love to hear what others think. I’ve learned so much from you ladies and am so thankful for this forum.

CrispyChick

Re: Lightbulb moment for me…
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 11:10:09 AM »

100%. Absolutely it is a thing. The reason I know this, I am not on any estrogen and I have estrogen dominance. Boy do I suffer.

Do I feel heard? Absolutely not. Not in the NHS - who will only prescribe me estrogen with prog. And, unfortunately, not really on this forum. The term estrogen dominance seems to be frowned upon here.

I'm glad you've found your lightbulb. I found mine 2 years ago. But, unfortunately I've not found a solution. I've tried bhrt progesterone - at great expense - but, although higher doses could rid me of my estrogenic symptoms, side affects were too much.

I'm now working with a funct medicine doc to try and detox that estrogen - see if I can bring balance that way.

Good luck to you. Now you've realised your problem, there is hope. Xxx

Mrslolad

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 11:30:52 AM »

Am so sorry you are suffering. It really shouldn’t be this complicated  to be listened to and heard.

Luckily I’ve had no issues with Utrogestan during my whole journey. It’s been the easier of the two hormones to tolerate.

Am also lucky my gp listens. I mean, she has no expert knowledge with which to guide me and admits I’ve been a human Guinea pig over the last 18 months, but she doesn’t dismiss me.

I hope you get some solutions too. X

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 12:05:27 PM »

I agree, oestrogen dominance does exist and it strikes right at the beginning of perimenopause when progesterone levels suddenly tank.

It very definitely happened to me in the lead up to perimenopause while I was in my late 30s when I suddenly started having panic attacks (all gone now luckily) but it kicked in big time in 2004 when I had my first silent migraine.  The low levels of progesterone were causing oestrogen spikes which triggered migraine aura.  Stable but high oestrogen levels would have been OK for me but the spikes were a real problem.

I didn't suffer with the symptoms Mrsload and Crispy describe but progesterone was protecting me from migraines during my reproductive years.  In my case it's a difficult balancing act of not letting oestrogen levels get too low, not taking high doses of progesterone and making sure both are as stable as possible and avoiding a bleed.  I'm now 62 and very post menopause.

I'm really liking Darstin progesterone gel and I think it's making a real difference.

Mrslolad

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 12:18:51 PM »

Am glad you found something that helps. Am just sorry it’s taken such a long time.  It’s time stolen that we can never get back and it’s so hard not to feel bitter about that.  ❤️