Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Fibroid concerns  (Read 668 times)

Amber78

• First Flush
Fibroid concerns
« on: November 16, 2023, 11:28:41 AM »

Hey all
Looking for a bit of advice.. I recently had an ultrasound that showed a large fibroid of about 5cm. I don't really have any symptoms aside from persistent back ache which is what prompted my GP to refer my for a scan. Since the results my GP hasn't offered anything, no referral to Gynaecology, she just recommended the mini pill or coil for management of periods. Does anyone have experience of fibroids and if so is there anything I should be doing? A friend of mine who's a nurse seemed surprised I haven't been referred to Gynae, I'm thinking I should be pushing for this maybe..?
TIA x

jaypo

Re: Fibroid concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 12:32:51 PM »

Hi, I think it depends where the fibroid is,there are ways to shrink it,mine was too large & I had to have a hysterectomy but I was suffering huge clots etc,I'd definitely see your dr again,even if it's to have it properly explained to you

Nas

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 02:24:29 PM »

There are many schools of thought on fibroids.

Leave them be and hope  they shrink over time.

Have them removed.

Injections to shrink them.

Hysterectomy.

Depends where they are as jaypo said ( jaypo how are you ??😊)

Be warned, fibroids CAN be a real pain ( no pun intended!) They can grow and cause issues with neighbouring organs. They can make you bleed, ache and make life miserable.

The fact that you have back pain, suggests they are already causing an issue. My advice? Get referred to gynae asap, as  the wait could be long .

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 03:45:15 PM »

Hey Nas,nice to see you....... virtually spaeaking 😂 hope you are well ☺️

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 03:57:36 PM »

I agree with the advice to get a referral. If you're on hrt oestrogen can make them grow.