Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Tinnitus when upping Estradot dose?  (Read 1789 times)

Peri2022

Tinnitus when upping Estradot dose?
« on: February 05, 2023, 05:13:03 PM »

Hello all, over the last few months I’ve started HRT and made two attempts at gradually getting up to a 50mcg patch (I’m very sensitive to meds). Each time, when I get up to 50 I start having intermittent ‘beeping’ tinnitus like Morse code in my ear. It’s not constant but does happen frequently thoughout the day and it’s annoying!

I know the relationship between hormones and tinnitus is not well understood (no surprises there) but just wondered if anyone else has had this off symptom? I felt pretty good on 37.5 so I might just drop down again.

discogirl

Re: Tinnitus when upping Estradot dose?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 05:34:17 PM »

hi peri2022

i have tinnitus.

im on 4 pumps of gel increased it on 11th dec 2022 normally i dont hear my tinnitus however lately ive noticed it more and i wondered if its down to my increase in gel. problem is the 4 pumps of gel is helping my sleep. i mean it may have nothing to do with the increase.

if your in peri then maybe your own hormones are complicating things as well xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 07:03:56 PM »

I have tinnitus continually.  Not on HRT.  Several threads about the condition on the Forum.

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 03:50:38 PM »

hi clkd

just wondering did your tinnitus start around menopause.

Zoe

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 04:13:54 PM »

Hi, from Newson Health Balance App...

"There hasn’t been much research on hearing, tinnitus, the menopause and HRT. You have estrogen receptors in the cells in your ear and along the auditory pathway, but it’s still not clear what estrogen, testosterone or progesterone’s exact roles are for hearing. Some studies show that low estrogen levels can impair hearing. Experts have hypothesised that alterations in blood flow to the inner ear tube (the cochlear) and changes to the composition of the blood affect the regulation of the electrochemical impulses generated by the hair cells in the cochlear, which in turn alters the auditory signals."

I get tinnitus when oestrogen levels are fluctuating or too low. I also have very narrow ear canals and struggle with ear pain if oestrogen is too high. Perhaps we are all affected differently, and some not at all.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 04:24:13 PM »

I had intermittent buzzing for years, so can't really decide when I became of it becoming problematic.  It annoys me so much some days  ::)

It may be related to a drop in oestrogen as my ears itch deep down and my left feels constantly blocked, although  a hearing test didn't show anything of nowt.

Zoe

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 04:35:19 PM »

Before I realised I was in perimenopause, I went for a hearing test because I felt either a) my hearing was not right, or b) my husband and son were mumbling and I couldn't hear them. Audiologist said my hearing was great and they must be mumbling!  :)
However, I am now pretty sure it was the first signs of dropping oestrogen and they were speaking perfectly normally.
I also get itchy ears when oestrogen is not quite high enough. Who would have guessed?! I found Sea Buckthorn helped before I needed HRT.

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 05:50:15 PM »

Hi, from Newson Health Balance App...

"There hasn’t been much research on hearing, tinnitus, the menopause and HRT. You have estrogen receptors in the cells in your ear and along the auditory pathway, but it’s still not clear what estrogen, testosterone or progesterone’s exact roles are for hearing. Some studies show that low estrogen levels can impair hearing. Experts have hypothesised that alterations in blood flow to the inner ear tube (the cochlear) and changes to the composition of the blood affect the regulation of the electrochemical impulses generated by the hair cells in the cochlear, which in turn alters the auditory signals."

I get tinnitus when oestrogen levels are fluctuating or too low. I also have very narrow ear canals and struggle with ear pain if oestrogen is too high. Perhaps we are all affected differently, and some not at all.

hi zoe

i have read that study and its so interesting.

its very difficult to know sometimes. i am on the max oestrogel. my intial meno symptoms were tinnitus insomnia and anxiety.

the gel is helping my sleep so im loathe to reduce it.

thanks so much for taking the time to shate that study. i will have a good read of it xxx

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 05:52:31 PM »

I had intermittent buzzing for years, so can't really decide when I became of it becoming problematic.  It annoys me so much some days  ::)

It may be related to a drop in oestrogen as my ears itch deep down and my left feels constantly blocked, although  a hearing test didn't show anything of nowt.

hi clkd

yes my hearing test was normal apart from.a slight dip on both ears but even that was within normal levels.

plus mine is only on one side xxx

Peri2022

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 06:32:32 PM »

Hello all. Just to update…I have dropped back down from 50 to 37.5mcg and the tinnitus is gone! So it was definitely caused by the higher dose. This has happened to me twice. So bizarre!

discogirl

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 07:26:19 PM »

hi peri2022

i have heard this happening to women on hrt before.im glad its sorted for you xx

discogirl

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 07:28:02 PM »

Hello all. Just to update…I have dropped back down from 50 to 37.5mcg and the tinnitus is gone! So it was definitely caused by the higher dose. This has happened to me twice. So bizarre!

by the way did the tinnitus stop immediately after reducing your hrt xx

Peri2022

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 08:02:53 PM »

Hi there, I put on the 37.5mcg patch yesterday morning at around 10am. I noticed the tinnitus diminishing throughout the day today and it’s pretty much gone this evening (8pm), just the odd ‘beep’ about an hour ago. A huge difference. So bizarre but I guess my body is telling me that was too high a dose!

discogirl

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 04:13:41 PM »

Hi there, I put on the 37.5mcg patch yesterday morning at around 10am. I noticed the tinnitus diminishing throughout the day today and it’s pretty much gone this evening (8pm), just the odd ‘beep’ about an hour ago. A huge difference. So bizarre but I guess my body is telling me that was too high a dose!

im so pleased for you. just goes to show how important it is to listen to our bodies.

take care x

ClaraHRT

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 02:37:52 PM »

I'm very grateful to read these comments as I have had to do my own research - but I refuse to accept this awful tinnitus! And it got so loud - coinciding with me increasing my oestrogel...  it has to be connected. Today I am going to go back down to 2 pumps - I had taken myself up to 4 and HOPE it has an effect.
I know no one has commented for 120 days but am so relieved top find this thread.