Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Brain Fog  (Read 511 times)

SweetCecily

• First Flush
Brain Fog
« on: November 14, 2023, 09:07:25 AM »

Hello everyone

I'm new here so trying to find my way around.  My main symptom at the moment is brain fog.  It's affecting everything I do, including trying to find my way around here!  I'm not on any HRT and want to avoid that but have been looking at alternative therapies.  The brain fog hasn't helped with that as there seems to be loads of information about it, what to do, what not to do and whole bunch of supplements I could, or should be taking.  Does anyone have any advice please, or suffer from this badly too?

It's affecting my ability to do my job and interact with people and I just want it to stop.

Thanks  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Brain Fog
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 09:48:50 AM »

Morning.  It's part of hormonal upheaval apparently, some women suffer during pregnancy.

I have made lists for all my Life - problem now is, I often can't remember where I've put the list! 
What R your periods doing?  The Change can throw up all kinds of issues.

Although alternative therapies may help initially when a woman's hormones begin to rise and fall, any benefit may be lost.  Also they haven't been sufficiently tested against various conditions, whereas HRT is prescribed as the usual option. 

There are many ways of using HRT so if symptoms become unbearable, you may like to reconsider.

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 09:57:21 AM »

Hi SweetCecily

Also  :welcomemm:

As CLKD says - could you tell us what your periods and cycle are doing? Regular/irregular, how long between periods, other symptoms, how old you are? What we advise depends on all of this.

Re HRT or not HRT - we could discuss this for hours and maybe it is not indicated for you yet depending on your answers to the above, but don't rule it out. I was never going to take it during peri-menopause but in the end it was the only thing that stopped the flushes and sweats ( age around 54) and have been taking it ever since ( now 70!).

However the best "alternative therapies" you could embrace at this point are lifestyle ones, if you have not considered these already - that is: diet, exercise, lifestyle, alcohol intake smoking, body weight, stress etc. Improvement in all of these (if you need to) will set you up for ageing as well as you can healthily as you enter this stage of your life. I'm not a great one for supplements because if you have a (really) good diet and deal with all the above, you shouldn't need them, though depending on your lifestyle/skin tone you may need extra vit D during winter if you haven't been out in the sun sufficiently or have darker skin and in UK. Or if bleeding a lot sometime extra iron is needed etc...

Hurdity x

SweetCecily

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 09:57:48 AM »

Hi CLKD

Thanks for your response.  I will have a browse here as there is clearly lots of information.  One of the problems I also have though, is that I haven't had a period in over 17 years!  I had a mirena fitted after the birth of my third child and have not had a period since I got pregnant. 

Cecily

SweetCecily

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 10:04:17 AM »

Thanks Hurdity!

I am 53 years old and have a good lifestyle - exercise regularly, I don't drink alcohol, have a good BMI, good diet and all that.  I do live in the UK so access to sunshine/Vitamin D are in short supply.  I have a lamp for seasonal adjustment (my SAD lamp) to combat the dark days.  I still have the mirena based on my doctor's advice but am thinking that I want it removed now just to see what is going in (if anything) with my periods.

x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 11:07:51 AM »

It may be that the Mirena is coming to the end of it's shelf life?