Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vagifem  (Read 1348 times)

Scottish lass

Re: Vagifem
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2024, 02:56:47 PM »

I'm using it every other night, I also ordered ovestin online as GP wouldn't prescribe both 😞, seems to be working so far, I'm over 2 months off HRT and no atrophy or bladder symptoms so far. Lack of sleep though, well that's another matter l🫣

I thought my hrt patches were doing nothing until I stopped them so back on them and my sleep has improved again.

Dierdre

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2024, 10:42:35 PM »

Dierdre, stress can cause hypertension in the pelvic floor, which can result in feelings of vulval soreness and all sorts of other wierd sensations. Could this be at the root of the problem? A women's health physio might be worth seeing for an assessment.   (Life's stresses generally go straight to my PF!)
JP x

I do think there's a link, I was getting bladder spasms and pelvic cramps at one point last year because of anxiety and was prescribed Buscapan to relax the bladder.  I'm much better now after CBT and haven't had a flare up for a few months now.  It took a while to get back to normal after a spate of recurring thrush last year, also caused by anxiety and stress lowering the immune system.

Dierdre

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2024, 10:55:38 PM »

Your very lucky not having a relapse. Even though I use the same medication Vagifem and Ovestin, same dosage and near enough the same time each day I still suffer fluctuations. It shouldn't happen really as I'm not taking it orally, it's not having to go through my digestive system which can sometimes have problems absorbing etc.
I can have some bad news or something that makes me anxious and within a couple of days I'm feeling dry and sore again. If something happens really worrying I can feel the irritation and dryness almost straight away. I used to wonder if it was psychosomatic.
Also when I'm in the sun on holiday, never a problem. I'm taking regular vit D now as I think that might help.
I know stress causes IBS and other digestive problems but maybe it also effects the genital area. Afterall nervousness makes you need to pee alot.
Stress causes erectile dysfunction in men, does it also dry up women?

When I think back to how chronic my VA was before I was finally diagnosed, I do feel very fortunate two years on that with any flare ups the symptoms are now minimal and easily treated, the constant use of Vagifem and Ovestin is working well for me.

I am over 70, could younger women have more trouble controlling the symptoms, or is it a simple fact we are all different when it comes to treating this awful condition. So much is unknown about it, I was the talk of the surgery at the time with one nurse telling my husband what a bad time I was going through when the answer was so simple, treatment for a mystery condition called Vaginal Atrophy!

It didn't help when I was rationed to 5 Vagifem per week with one doctor.  I had no spare Vagifem if I needed them for flare ups or reloads, luckily I had Ovestin as well and used that internally for a couple of nights.  The lady doctor i see now said to take every night and reduce if and when i feel ok. I use Ovestin internally as well now if needed and seem to be managing nicely now.

Ayesha

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2024, 01:20:36 PM »

It didn't help when I was rationed to 5 Vagifem per week with one doctor.  I had no spare Vagifem if I needed them for flare ups or reloads, luckily I had Ovestin as well and used that internally for a couple of nights.  The lady doctor i see now said to take every night and reduce if and when i feel ok. I use Ovestin internally as well now if needed and seem to be managing nicely now.

GP's going by the outdated info in the leaflet and rationing the dose, its all about controlling the symptoms isn't it, but then again they  know treatments can be bought over the counter and I can see a time when we will be pushed down that road, says cynical old me!  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2024, 01:34:25 PM »

At least we can buy what we require as and when ?  We shouldn't however have to put up with GPs/Medics with no knowledge, what's the British Menopause Group doing about it, it would great to see Conferences being arranged for open discussion between health providers and women!  I'll fire up the charabanc ?

Dierdre

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2024, 02:11:33 PM »

GP's going by the outdated info in the leaflet and rationing the dose, its all about controlling the symptoms isn't it, but then again they  know treatments can be bought over the counter and I can see a time when we will be pushed down that road, says cynical old me!  :)

It's all about getting the right balance, sometimes I need vagifem every day but then the fillers can irritate and I get pelvic cramp so I know it's too much and have a day off. It's definately a medication that needs alot of flexibility in dosage to suit each person, pity doctors don't get that..
Pages: 1 [2]