Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: can I take utrogestan deliberately soon after some food??  (Read 784 times)

joziel

can I take utrogestan deliberately soon after some food??
« on: November 10, 2023, 09:26:09 PM »

This is a weird question... I am having problems with sleep. Usually utrogestan does nothing (no side effects but also no benefit to sleep).

However, a couple of times I've accidentally taken it too soon after food and I've felt almost drugged, out of it, spacey, and when I lie down I can sleep quite easily...

SO my question is: Can I deliberately take utrogestan to get this effect, soon after a bit of food? Will my uterine lining still be protected?

I've read that your body almost over-processes it and it has too much of an effect with food(??) so does that mean I will be extra-protected? Or not....??

Bandango42

Re: can I take utrogestan deliberately soon after some food??
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 09:47:48 PM »

I sometimes do this, not deliberately but with teenage boys they don't always want to eat early so I end up having to take my utro about an hour after food before bed (I go to bed very early!).

As far as I'm aware, there is no down side to this apart from the fact it increases drowsiness which is why multiple sources say try not to. I don't think it has any negative effects though with regard to protection. I could be wrong though. Hopefully someone else might know xx

Petra

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 09:56:18 PM »

There's an older thread on this that includes a link to a paper re taking with food increasing absorption (and, also, sleepiness).
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=64248.0 (I hope that link works...not sure how to link to other threads, but that one is titled "Taking Utrogestan with food?"

joziel

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 04:21:11 PM »

Wow, this is super useful folks. Thanks.

I'm going to try eating something just before I take the progesterone. I'll try to make it the same thing, for the sake of consistency and absorption. What is it best to eat? A banana??

I'm quite excited about possibly having something natural which helps with the sleep problem....

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 04:51:45 PM »

If you are taking it close to bedtime to aid sleep then a banana would be great as it has tryptophan in. Oatcakes and humour or nut butter also good options.

joziel

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 10:44:44 PM »

Okay I'm going to try this and report back.... Only it will be a few days because I have to stop utrogestan today for a bleed. (I'm on continuous but because I'm in peri I stop it for a few days to schedule when the bleed happens and not get break-through bleeding.)