Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: One-off Post menopause bleed - Not on HRT  (Read 615 times)

Evies19688

One-off Post menopause bleed - Not on HRT
« on: November 20, 2023, 12:42:28 PM »

Hello everyone

I'm panicking rather a lot.  I've read quite a few posts here about post-menopausal bleeding and a lot of ladies seem to be on HRT (I'm not).  My last period was February 2022 so 21 months ago.    Two or so weeks ago my boobs/nipples felt tender similar to just before a period and on Friday I had a very slight bleed which I thought may be due to dryness inside but when I woke on Saturday the bleeding was like that of my normal period (from the dim and distant past!!)   I've spent the weekend feeling sick with worry because of course my mind went straight to worse case scenario.  I've felt fine, no period pain (which I now read isn't a great thing as more worrying to bleed with no symptoms someone on another post said (and I don't know if boob tenderness was linked) and it eased off yesterday and has almost completely stopped today (Monday)   I contacted the doctor who has referred me via the two week wait which she said is usual for a post-menopausal bleed.     However I'm absolutely working myself up into such a state that I'm feeling so sick and just about holding my schtick together at work.   Of course I'm reading all about the various cancers  - endometrium/cervical etc etc although I have no other symptoms.  Please can anyone offer advice to calm me down or what else it could be as I'm making myself feel ill!   Thank you all xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: One-off Post menopause bleed - Not on HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 01:03:17 PM »

... and breath!

It's advised that women seek GP advice if we have a bleed when we think that we have stopped periods.  It may be that a scan will be arranged to check the womb lining; it mayB the ovaries having a party  ::) as hormones continue to rise and fall.

So U are on the correct pathway.  What's the worst that could happen?  If there is a problem it has been diagnosed early! Worrying is common, the worst case scenario raising its ugly head.  Keep off GOOGLE ;-).

Nas

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 01:16:25 PM »

Hi,  :)

Agree with CLKD.
It could be 101 different things causing the bleed. The main things is that you are on the two week path way to being seen.

Usual procedure will be an ultra sound and maybe a womb biopsy to check the lining.

Stay calm.. breath… you can do this 💪🌺 x

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 02:01:59 PM »

No direct experience but I would have thought that the tender breasts / nipples would be a good thing in that it indicates some kind of hormonal fluctuarion rather than anything sinister.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 04:03:19 PM »

I agree with penguin, I think it's more likely to be your own hormones. The one year is just used by the nhs for safety, some people go longer than a year and then bleed again (once or several times).

Evies19688

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 11:02:05 AM »

Thank you all - and especially for the "and breath"   ;)    I've had my appointment letter through and am going to gynae on 11th December so am taking comfort in the fact that if it was thought more urgent I would be being seen sooner as it over two weeks away?    I'm trying to keep a lid on my anxiety but I am my own worst enemy (as we all can be). I think because I don't work with many woman,  and the two that I work  directly with are younger than me and not at the age for any of this,  I have no-one I can bounce anxiety off.  Its not the sort of thing you can ask the boss about! (who is older than me) so I sit and stew.   :'(  Its practically stopped now so I'm taking that as a good sign too. I mentioned it to my sister and she worked with a lady who had been period free for 18 months and then had another really heavy one-off period for seven days and then nothing else. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer xx
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 02:52:52 PM by Evies19688 »